Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 09:53 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times

Advertisements

Has anyone tried buying building materials at the Habitat for Humanity Restore Shops? I understand there's one in Alexandria, Chantilly, and a new one in Purcellville. What did you think of the materials there, and does anyone have an opinion on which store is best? My choice would probably be Purcellville (nicer drive) but I'll drive to Chantilly if it's the better store. I'm looking for materials to build an entertainment center in the basement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 10:09 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
My husband goes to the one in Manassas all the time. Each one will have something different. So you might want to try all of them. You can get great deals. Some of the materials are leftover building supplies. Other times it could be something that a new homeowner didn't want in the house. Some are high end. Others might be builder-grade. We needed a window when we turned our screened-in porch into a bedroom. Because we were flexible on size, it was easy to pick one up at the Restore. We got a $400+ large window for $80. My husband has bought doors there, tiles, and all kinds of stuff. It's a great place to find things but can be hit or miss to find exactly what you want when you want it.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:27 PM

102 posts, read 601,618 times
I've been to the one in Alexandria.

It's hit or miss in terms of building materials, although I suppose you can get some pretty good deals if you're lucky.

In terms of getting materials to do an entertainment center, I don't remember seeing any furniture-grade wood at the warehouse although I recall seeing some kitchen cabinets. They were pretty rough though.

I got the impression that the warehouse had some leftover materials from new construction/renovations, but a lot of the inventory was just other people's garbage. I guess it's just like that saying about one's garbage being another man's treasure. Anyway, just my $0.02.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:41 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,776,857 times
I shop at the one in Manassas, occasionally. I was able to get old light fixture parts needed to repair an old light fixture......For an entertainment center you may want to look at Salv Army or GoodWill. People often leave that stuff behind when they move. I was at HD yesterday and they had about 20 kinds of plywood--I was able to by a 2 foot by 2 foot piece, which is all I needed--that might be handy. Unfinished pine and spruce are relatively cheap now. Fancy hardwoods are not.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:46 PM

89 posts, read 178,917 times
I've been to the ones in Manassas and Purcellville. Maybe it was just the times I went, but the Purcellville one seemed to have better stuff in it.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:37 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,855,402 times
You might try this place too, depending on what you're looking for:

[SIZE=3]http://www.rebuildwarehouse.org/Inventory.html[/SIZE]

Old 07-29-2011, 06:37 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,737,752 times
How are their appliances? I'm trying to find a "new" washer for our "new" home.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:46 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,087,071 times
I go to the one in Winchester (called Habitat for Humanity ReStore). I think it's great. As others have mentioned, the items are a combination of things pulled from houses being renovated as well as newish things leftover from building newer homes.

I like ours because it has historic items such as transom windows, doors, doorknobs, etc.--helpful to use since we have a historic house and need to replace things made of the same materials and quality. There is some new stuff like carpets, toilets, and used appliances. I have also found great deals on light fixtures, towel bars, paint, wooden appliques, and shutters.

I wander in there frequently, even just to look around.

The Winchester facility is so popular that they are relocating to a new spot.

Also, if you have anything to donate, they are great in coming around and picking it up.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:32 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,737,752 times
So I just visited the one in Purcerville for the first time. Lots of builder grade stuff and junk and the prices were a bit high. Appliances were pretty old and dirty. But a couple of interesting pieces of furniture and building materials for very small projects. Might visit them again.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:54 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,776,857 times
I think they will negotiate on prices, EuroExpat, and they will sometimes say "free" or "1 Dollar." They are getting a lot of that stuff for free...I think if they said 600 for kitchen cabinets, you could make a deal for 350.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia