U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 10:25 AM

1,559 posts, read 3,638,758 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who just called me and asked me if I could meet her and her boys at Regan at 6pm on Friday evening and take her back home to Warrenton.... I didn't say yay or nay yet...but here's my situation.

I get up at 2:50am and drive to Arlington for work and then back to where I live in Manassas. So - I would have to leave Manassas to go back past where I work to head into Reagan to pick her up and then drive all the way to Warrenton and then back to Manassas.

Ok - simply put - I don't want to do it but I also don't want to leave her out to dry...what other options could I give her? And if I did do it....how long do you think it would take besides forever? THanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 10:31 AM

12,446 posts, read 14,440,720 times
You'd be leaving Reagan at a high point of rush hour which is doubly worse on a Friday night. I don't know how long the trip to Warrenton is on a good day, but I think the ride is going to be pretty awful.

I might tell her to just make a reservation on the Super Shuttle and just pay for it. I think it's fairly nervy to book a flight back into DC at 6:00 p.m. on a Friday night and then hope that someone will come get you and drive you home in that sort of traffic.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:43 AM

ChristineVA - I agree with you. Even my neighbors all ask me for rides, etc. to and from the airport and I understand that they are trying to save some $$ and I can't blame them for that but I always arrange my own transportation because often times it is pretty inconvenient.

This is where I think I will have to draw the line.... She could just drive her car there - but she doesn't want to pay for parking.... I know that she's on a tight budget but I always figure that if folks can afford to travel - they can pay for the parking or the transportation, etc.

I just checked out Supershuttle and it is like $150 so it would probably be cheaper for her to just drive I guess. She did mention she could take the metro to Vienna....but then the drive to Warrenton is still going to be a bear....from where she lives to my house in Manassas takes a solid 45 minutes for me....

Old 08-04-2011, 11:04 AM

9,564 posts, read 14,725,696 times
Can you go into work late that day and pick her up on the way home? Ugh, scratch that. I thought this was an out-of-town friend coming to visit. If she lives here, she should know what a hassle it is to do a pickup at that time. One time my husband's sister flew into BWI from Boston and wanted my husband to pick her up and take her back. He did the pick up, but the return flight was during rush hour. He paid for Super Shuttle and every dollar was worth it for him not to sit in traffic.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:05 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,120,526 times
If it were me I would have the person hang out in Crystal City until 8. a 5 dollar cab to a restaurant and 2 hours is more than reasonable to ask when you are saving them taxicab/supershuttle money.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Can you go into work late that day and pick her up on the way home? Ugh, scratch that. I thought this was an out-of-town friend coming to visit. If she lives here, she should know what a hassle it is to do a pickup at that time. One time my husband's sister flew into BWI from Boston and wanted my husband to pick her up and take her back. He did the pick up, but the return flight was during rush hour. He paid for Super Shuttle and every dollar was worth it for him not to sit in traffic.
If she was coming in from out of town that might be different. And there is no way I can change the hours of my job either because they are set.

I really don't see a lot of options except for the super shuttle or the parking. But, if she doesn't want to pay for parking, I'm sure she won't want to pay for the super shuttle. Sigh....and to think that I hardly ever pick up the phone...and this time I did. I told her I'd get back to her though. If I had some plans for next Friday I could use that as an excuse but I normally don't make plans because by the time Friday rolls around I'm spent. I even try and stay up late because I don't have to work Saturday...yeah, my late is 9pm LOL....and I"m only 36 darnnit!

Old 08-04-2011, 12:03 PM

9,564 posts, read 14,725,696 times
Honestly, I think it took a lot of nerve of her to ask you to do this. I'd call her back and simply say "Sorry, I can't do the pickup next Friday." Or add, "I have too much going on that day." I mean seriously, it would take you want 45 minutes or so to drive into National and then another hour+ to drive her to Warrenton and then back to Manassas. That's almost 3 hours of your time that she is asking. Unless it is your girlfriend, a very close friend who you know is strapped financially, or a family member, I think she put you in an awkward position asking you.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:38 PM

Thanks for the support all. She did say that I could say no....but you know, I feel bad not helping a friend out but at the same time....it isn't just an inconvenience - it's a huge one. It would even be different if she lived right around me but since she's another 45 minutes past me..... Yeah, I guess there aren't a lot of options except to just suck it up or do it or tell her no. She isn't bad off financially but she isn't rich either....however, this isn't a necessary trip, it's a fun trip. I have no idea even when she decided to go since she's leaving this Sunday.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:48 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,309,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
Thanks for the support all. She did say that I could say no....but you know, I feel bad not helping a friend out but at the same time....it isn't just an inconvenience - it's a huge one. It would even be different if she lived right around me but since she's another 45 minutes past me..... Yeah, I guess there aren't a lot of options except to just suck it up or do it or tell her no. She isn't bad off financially but she isn't rich either....however, this isn't a necessary trip, it's a fun trip. I have no idea even when she decided to go since she's leaving this Sunday.
Just be honest with her and explain the inconvenience rather than making up an excuse. Remember, the less you lie, the less you have to remember!

Old 08-05-2011, 03:28 AM

I just shot her an email saying I couldn't do it and that I had thought about it...but it would just have been too much for me. I think that was honest with no frills....and that's the bottom line, I think it is just too much right now. Thanks for all the advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia