U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2011, 02:02 PM

1,216 posts, read 2,109,056 times

Advertisements

So I am going to Hampton tomorrow and I am totally committed to an event at 7. My boss just let me know that I can no longer leave at 11 like I planned originally. Now I will be leaving at 3pm on a Friday in the summer. Which way should I go? Please do not talk about how screwed I am or leave a remark like "take a spaceship" or "skip the event" as those are not options. I need to know options, even if they are long.

Options I have evaluated:
1. Taking 301 adds an extra hour and there is some traffic in Maryland as well.
2. Route 1 during busy parts of the highway. This seems the most efficient since i can hop on and hop off. However, everyone in Woodbridge warned me that it is just as slow. Making the comment "you either wait in traffic or wait at stoplights"
3. Freestyle on google maps until I get to Fredericksburg. It's ambitious but I really don't want to get lost in the country.

Edit: I'm leaving from the Ballston area
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 02:14 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,424,242 times
If you aren't opposed to overpaying for one somewhere like Bestbuy (since they're way cheaper online), I'd go pick up a GPS with traffic, to route you around any accidents that pop up along the way. Mine has been a lifesaver on trips up to NJ or Baltimore, saving quite a bit of time.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:35 PM

26,092 posts, read 38,658,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman804 View Post
So I am going to Hampton tomorrow and I am totally committed to an event at 7. My boss just let me know that I can no longer leave at 11 like I planned originally. Now I will be leaving at 3pm on a Friday in the summer. Which way should I go? Please do not talk about how screwed I am or leave a remark like "take a spaceship" or "skip the event" as those are not options. I need to know options, even if they are long.

Options I have evaluated:
1. Taking 301 adds an extra hour and there is some traffic in Maryland as well.
2. Route 1 during busy parts of the highway. This seems the most efficient since i can hop on and hop off. However, everyone in Woodbridge warned me that it is just as slow. Making the comment "you either wait in traffic or wait at stoplights"
3. Freestyle on google maps until I get to Fredericksburg. It's ambitious but I really don't want to get lost in the country.

Edit: I'm leaving from the Ballston area
As a Hampton native and a guy who did the dreaded ride from NoVA to HR on I-95 a couple of times. I'd go with doing 301. Forget about doing I-95 unless you feel confident that you can do the HOV and get out of those lanes by 3:30pm even then that won't help a lot.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:56 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,449,487 times
I recommend 301 as well.

From Ballston, best way to reach 301, use MD 210 South. You may run into a bit of stop and go once merging on 210 for a few miles it will eventually clear up. Expect to lose about 5-10 minutes. Continue along 210 until you get to Indian Head. Turn left at MD 225 (Hawthorne Road) and take that road all the way to 301 in LaPlata. You'll bypass the traffic along MD 5.

Cross the River (toll) and continue along 301 until you reach 17 in Port Royal. Take 17 all the way to Newport News where you can get on I-64.

I strongly advise you watch your speed along 301 and 17.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
I recommend 301 as well.

From Ballston, best way to reach 301, use MD 210 South. You may run into a bit of stop and go once merging on 210 for a few miles it will eventually clear up. Expect to lose about 5-10 minutes. Continue along 210 until you get to Indian Head. Turn left at MD 225 (Hawthorne Road) and take that road all the way to 301 in LaPlata. You'll bypass the traffic along MD 5.

Cross the River (toll) and continue along 301 until you reach 17 in Port Royal. Take 17 all the way to Newport News where you can get on I-64.

I strongly advise you watch your speed along 301 and 17.
Hmmm, I may take this route. Last time, I went to Richmond on a Friday and gladly added the extra hour since I left at 4:30 but then I got stuck for even longer messing with MD-5.

Do you think it would be worth going from 301 to 95 and taking advantage of the increased speed limit there and on 295 assuming I make to that area at around 5:30-6pm. I know Richmond traffic is okay, but is 64 East bad at in Willamsburg at 6-7pm? I usually avoid the country roads like the plague.

Thanks for the advice thus far!

Old 08-05-2011, 09:09 AM

2,366 posts, read 2,449,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman804 View Post
Hmmm, I may take this route. Last time, I went to Richmond on a Friday and gladly added the extra hour since I left at 4:30 but then I got stuck for even longer messing with MD-5.

Do you think it would be worth going from 301 to 95 and taking advantage of the increased speed limit there and on 295 assuming I make to that area at around 5:30-6pm. I know Richmond traffic is okay, but is 64 East bad at in Willamsburg at 6-7pm? I usually avoid the country roads like the plague.

Thanks for the advice thus far!
Hard to say. Despite using 301 to I-95, you'll still encounter heavy traffic along I-95 where as 17 is light and more direct. 17 is divided highway with speed limit of 60 outside of Tappahannock. You'll see an slight increase in volume as well as the speed limit dropping down to 55 further South and occasional "reduce speed ahead" to 45.

I'm not familiar with 64 between Richmond and Newport News, so I wouldn't know how the traffic is.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
Hard to say. Despite using 301 to I-95, you'll still encounter heavy traffic along I-95 where as 17 is light and more direct. 17 is divided highway with speed limit of 60 outside of Tappahannock. You'll see an slight increase in volume as well as the speed limit dropping down to 55 further South and occasional "reduce speed ahead" to 45.

I'm not familiar with 64 between Richmond and Newport News, so I wouldn't know how the traffic is.
17 it is! Thanks once again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia