Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 08:24 AM

9,777 posts, read 15,788,843 times

Advertisements

My husband's office is closing and he has been offered a position with his company in North Carolina. We are moving to Chapel Hill - my husband will go this fall, and the kids and I will follow probably sometime this winter or spring. I have mixed feelings about the move - I am excited about discovering a new city, getting a newer/bigger home, living in (slightly) warmer weather, being in a small (yay! yay! yay!) school district, and having less traffic to deal with. But I am going to miss Vienna, which I really do love. I have been in Northern Virginia for 12 years and the DC area for 22 years. I have a lot of friends here, and my children were born here. Plus there's something about living in one of the most important cities in the US and the world. So the move is going to be bittersweet. Have no fear, though, I will still be posting on the Northern Virginia forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 08:26 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,242,081 times
I wouldn't want to go south personally but that's just me and hot weather. Good luck.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I wouldn't want to go south personally but that's just me and hot weather. Good luck.
Well, as someone who absolutely despises winter and cold weather, North Carolina actually isn't warm enough for me, but at least we're headed in the right direction.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:38 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
Best of luck to you and I hope you enjoy your new home. You'll be missed.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:50 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,739,142 times
Good luck with the move!!

Old 08-10-2011, 08:58 AM

1,570 posts, read 4,618,382 times
Good luck! I hear that is a wonderful area

Old 08-10-2011, 09:05 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,090,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Well, as someone who absolutely despises winter and cold weather, North Carolina actually isn't warm enough for me, but at least we're headed in the right direction.
Not to mention that it's a quicker trip to the Outer Banks and the mountains of Western North Carolina are not too far away, either. Good luck!

Are you going to look in Chapel Hill itself? I've never thought about which neighborhoods in that area are "walkable," but the homes are definitely more affordable than those in NoVa and the schools systems do seem to be considerably smaller as well (2-3 high schools in a district as opposed to 25).

Old 08-10-2011, 09:22 AM

491 posts, read 1,170,615 times
I love the Chapel Hill area. Used to live in Winston-Salem and would take a day trip to Chapel Hill to browse around the great used-book stores I found. There's something about the pace and atmosphere of a college town.

A store called "A Southern Season" is a must-visit -- N.C./Southern food products.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Not to mention that it's a quicker trip to the Outer Banks and the mountains of Western North Carolina are not too far away, either. Good luck!

Are you going to look in Chapel Hill itself? I've never thought about which neighborhoods in that area are "walkable," but the homes are definitely more affordable than those in NoVa and the schools systems do seem to be considerably smaller as well (2-3 high schools in a district as opposed to 25).
Yes, being slightly closer to the beach will be a plus. Oh, JEB77, you know me well. I have been trying to find a neighborhood that is walkable but the ones we saw last year when we visited (in anticipation of a possible move) are too close to the university with lots of rentals/student housing nearby. In neighboring Carrboro, the houses near the walkable area are too small. We're going to look on the east side of the university which we didn't get to explore. Our other big option is a planned community/fake downtown similar to Brambleton (although I do not think it's as big) called Southern Village.

I am excited about the smaller school district. Most of North Carolina actually has county school systems similar to NOVA. But Chapel Hill/Carrboro is an exception with its own small school district. There are 3 high schools, 4 middle schools and 10 elementary schools. I am excited about that, being a product of a small PA school district. Of course you pay extra taxes to live in the district (about 50 cents per $1000). But it's definitely worth it to me to pay an extra $2500 per year to have my kids in a good school district.

Thanks for all of the well wishes everyone!

Last edited by michgc; 08-10-2011 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: my brain isn't working this morning and 50 cents per $100K would be awfully cheap!

Old 08-10-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by persnicketygal View Post
I love the Chapel Hill area. Used to live in Winston-Salem and would take a day trip to Chapel Hill to browse around the great used-book stores I found. There's something about the pace and atmosphere of a college town.

A store called "A Southern Season" is a must-visit -- N.C./Southern food products.
Yes, I must visit. I keep hearing about it on the Chapel Hill Board. It seems everyone loves it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia