Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 02:08 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,984,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I think you are overly worrying over a minor fender bender, but the police report should specify the cause of the accident and who was at fault.. normally the guy in back is the guilty party as they shouldnt have been travelling so close as not to have been able to stop before hitting the car in front..
If there's no case number it won't matter. There is no way to reference what the officer observed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 06:59 AM

7 posts, read 25,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I think you are overly worrying over a minor fender bender, but the police report should specify the cause of the accident and who was at fault.. normally the guy in back is the guilty party as they shouldnt have been travelling so close as not to have been able to stop before hitting the car in front..
Insurance now a day is very expensive that why I'm worry. He hit my car now turn around and said I hit him.
As I asked police said he doesn't do report unless DUI etc.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:56 AM

9,778 posts, read 15,788,843 times
My husband had something similar happen 2 years ago. A car was parked on the side street. My husband is driving along and she pulled out in front of him. It was clearly her fault. They exchanged insurance and HE called the police. He also took pictures with his cell camera. The police officer came and the woman claimed she was in the driving lane and was stopped to make a left. The police officer wrote up MY HUSBAND for trying to pass and gives him a citation to go to court. It was completely bogus! And the police report was filled with inaccuracies. In the meantime, the woman complains that her car needs to be towed and milks this small fender bender for as much as she can.

We have Geico, too. Anyway, Geico sees the police report and realize it's a small accident and decide to pay since it's cheaper than fighting the other insurance company over it. She milks the accident for everything - somehow her sunroof was now leaking from this minor fender bender. Anyway, my husband goes to court. He shows the judge the photos, tells him what happens and the judge throws out the citation.

Meanwhile, what Geico thought would be a small fender bender escalates. Now the womans neck hurts and she needs a chiropracter - no lie. And her car has lost value. And she cannot work. It went on and on and on. She retained a lawyer and after several months her doctor's treatments were done. They ask Geico for something like $8K for medical/lost wages/lost value on her car. Geico offers about $4K. They say no and decide to sue. It gets more ridiculous!

Anyway, my husband gets a Geico-retained lawyer. He blows up the photos, writes down exactly what happened, the police report inaccuracies, and the fact that the judge already threw out his citation. He goes to court. And guess what? The judge threw the whole thing out. It was clear this woman was milking the system. She got the BIG FAT $0! (And she could have taken the $4K from Geico earlier and ran).

The point of the story, and there is one, I think. Some people will lie. Some police officers won't take the time to really investigate what happened. And it can *********. But in the end, if you have as much proof (can your kids be witnesses) as possible, hopefully you won't get screwed. Our insurance rates did not go up over this ordeal. And we felt Geico was too quick to accept the blame in the initial accident. But, 9 times out of 10 they don't escalate as this one did and they're better off paying. But sometimes they end up like ours. And if this cab driver is lying right off the bat, I wouldn't be surprised if your story ends up similar.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
My husband had something similar happen 2 years ago. A car was parked on the side street. My husband is driving along and she pulled out in front of him. It was clearly her fault. They exchanged insurance and HE called the police. He also took pictures with his cell camera. The police officer came and the woman claimed she was in the driving lane and was stopped to make a left. The police officer wrote up MY HUSBAND for trying to pass and gives him a citation to go to court. It was completely bogus! And the police report was filled with inaccuracies. In the meantime, the woman complains that her car needs to be towed and milks this small fender bender for as much as she can.

We have Geico, too. Anyway, Geico sees the police report and realize it's a small accident and decide to pay since it's cheaper than fighting the other insurance company over it. She milks the accident for everything - somehow her sunroof was now leaking from this minor fender bender. Anyway, my husband goes to court. He shows the judge the photos, tells him what happens and the judge throws out the citation.

Meanwhile, what Geico thought would be a small fender bender escalates. Now the womans neck hurts and she needs a chiropracter - no lie. And her car has lost value. And she cannot work. It went on and on and on. She retained a lawyer and after several months her doctor's treatments were done. They ask Geico for something like $8K for medical/lost wages/lost value on her car. Geico offers about $4K. They say no and decide to sue. It gets more ridiculous!

Anyway, my husband gets a Geico-retained lawyer. He blows up the photos, writes down exactly what happened, the police report inaccuracies, and the fact that the judge already threw out his citation. He goes to court. And guess what? The judge threw the whole thing out. It was clear this woman was milking the system. She got the BIG FAT $0! (And she could have taken the $4K from Geico earlier and ran).

The point of the story, and there is one, I think. Some people will lie. Some police officers won't take the time to really investigate what happened. And it can *********. But in the end, if you have as much proof (can your kids be witnesses) as possible, hopefully you won't get screwed. Our insurance rates did not go up over this ordeal. And we felt Geico was too quick to accept the blame in the initial accident. But, 9 times out of 10 they don't escalate as this one did and they're better off paying. But sometimes they end up like ours. And if this cab driver is lying right off the bat, I wouldn't be surprised if your story ends up similar.
Geico liability examier seem like to seat inside air condition office to review a statements, claims and like to take an easy route with a minor claim. The other car (CAB) his car has so many damages, dents and scratches prior to the accident (I took some photos with my cell.) I or/and Geico don't want to be the victim of his trap, he accused me at his fault. I have 13yrs with Geico and if this time Geico doesn't do their job. I will go somewhere else.
On Fashion Blvd Tyson corner, my right lane with GO STRAIGHT ARROW and his left lane with LEFT TURN ONLY ARROW. He intended to turn left and at the last moment changed mind and wanted to go straight therefore rushing into my right lane.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:36 AM

25 posts, read 84,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaroneva888 View Post
Need a witness please. First time post and looking for help.

Suddenly! I hear a big noise and look on driver's side mirror and saw a cab on the left lane behind me tried to merge into my land from behind and hit my car on driver side rear quarter panel.
If I read this correctly, the Cab would be at fault without question. In Virginia at least, the law pretty much states if you hit somebody in the rear end, it is automatically your fault. No "Official" accident investigation needed.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFAutistic View Post
If I read this correctly, the Cab would be at fault without question. In Virginia at least, the law pretty much states if you hit somebody in the rear end, it is automatically your fault. No "Official" accident investigation needed.
BUT he's a BIG liar and called Geico and told Geico; He was on his lane and I changed to his lane and hit his car. He has no moral in life and LIAR left to right that why I'm really need a witness.

Old 08-16-2011, 01:22 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,456,190 times
Having also been hit by a driver recently, I understand your anger, but it would help you much more if you can redirect it to action at this point.

Although ideally, as another poster indicated, at the time you would have taken cell phone photos of both cars in their positions and the damage to both vehicles, and you would have gotten the contact information of at least one witness (there had to be a lot of people around that location at the time), you will know to do that if there ever is a "next time", which obviously we hope there isn't.

You can still do the following:

1) Take photos of your car from all angles, and several photos of the damage; make electronic and/or hard copies.
2) Write a factual, dispassionate, detailed account of every minute of the event, from just before the accident, describing how you were not moving and exactly where you were, etc., all the way through the aftermath of the incident, including his and the officer's exact words to you, as best you can remember. Keep an electronic and hard copy of this.
3) Write a cover letter to your agent at Geico explaining what you want them to do. Again, keep your feelings out of this as much as possible.
4) Send copies of the cover letter, your report and the photos, to both your agent at Geico and the claims representative at Geico, along with all information--the other driver's, the officer's, etc. If you have the name of the claims rep. at the other insurance company, send the info to him/her as well. You could also send it to the other driver, but you may not want to. Make sure the letter has a "cc" showing everyone to whom you sent it, so everyone knows what you've done.

If Geico is any good, they will, as others have said, be able to ascertain the truth about how the accident occurred, from all the evidence given to them. In my amateur opinion, it's harder for a driver to damage his/her own quarter panel relative to the greater likelihood that damage in that location is probably caused by another driver striking him/her.

Good luck.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
Having also been hit by a driver recently, I understand your anger, but it would help you much more if you can redirect it to action at this point.

Although ideally, as another poster indicated, at the time you would have taken cell phone photos of both cars in their positions and the damage to both vehicles, and you would have gotten the contact information of at least one witness (there had to be a lot of people around that location at the time), you will know to do that if there ever is a "next time", which obviously we hope there isn't.

You can still do the following:

1) Take photos of your car from all angles, and several photos of the damage; make electronic and/or hard copies.
2) Write a factual, dispassionate, detailed account of every minute of the event, from just before the accident, describing how you were not moving and exactly where you were, etc., all the way through the aftermath of the incident, including his and the officer's exact words to you, as best you can remember. Keep an electronic and hard copy of this.
3) Write a cover letter to your agent at Geico explaining what you want them to do. Again, keep your feelings out of this as much as possible.
4) Send copies of the cover letter, your report and the photos, to both your agent at Geico and the claims representative at Geico, along with all information--the other driver's, the officer's, etc. If you have the name of the claims rep. at the other insurance company, send the info to him/her as well. You could also send it to the other driver, but you may not want to. Make sure the letter has a "cc" showing everyone to whom you sent it, so everyone knows what you've done.

If Geico is any good, they will, as others have said, be able to ascertain the truth about how the accident occurred, from all the evidence given to them. In my amateur opinion, it's harder for a driver to damage his/her own quarter panel relative to the greater likelihood that damage in that location is probably caused by another driver striking him/her.

Good luck.
Thanks for a very details suggestion.
This is another question would like to ask.
My home insurance with Allstate went up by $300 and renewal date 8-30-11 and Geico cars insurance renewal date 8-19-11 this Friday. Before this car accident I already have a quoted from Allstate to buy cars insurance with them. I'll save $535/yr. I don't know. Is it ok to switch cars insurance before this mess get resolve? OR wait to switch it later. Is this car accident has any effect to the quoted? Thanks in advance for your experience and input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia