Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 01:44 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,159,601 times

Advertisements

Hey, I want to know how we didn't make it onto the Most Promiscuous Cities list. Don't they know Virginia is for Lovers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 01:58 PM

3,041 posts, read 11,912,343 times
Makes me miss Leesburg and VA even more...
I miss old town and the 4th of July and Halloween parades, the concerts on the courthouse lawn in summer.

YAY for Leesburg!

Old 08-16-2011, 02:01 PM

I've always thought it would be cool to live within 5-6 blocks of the downtown. It would be fun to stroll over there in the evenings, get a mojito at the Lightfoot, look at the shops, etc.

Old 10-01-2011, 03:55 PM

12 posts, read 20,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroExpat View Post
Yay! We just bought our first house in Leesburg. It was fun to see this on CNN.com today. It's a nice town.. I've lived in Ashburn for almost five years and couldn't wait to get out of here. Love, love, love Leesburg.
EuroExpat, just curious about what you did not like about Ashburn? We are moving into that area, (hubby will be working in Rosslyn and DC, different days of the week). I am looking at Ashburn and Leesburg. Schools are very important as we have 4 kids ages 9 to 15 and will be looking for a nice sized home on more than a postage stamp size property for around $400k.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:27 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,463,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chascon33 View Post
EuroExpat, just curious about what you did not like about Ashburn? We are moving into that area, (hubby will be working in Rosslyn and DC, different days of the week). I am looking at Ashburn and Leesburg. Schools are very important as we have 4 kids ages 9 to 15 and will be looking for a nice sized home on more than a postage stamp size property for around $400k.

Not euroexpat but I will never live in Ashburn, for one thing I don't think it's possible NOT to have a postage stamp lot at that price point, or anything right. No charm, no "historic center" like Leesburg, no personality (unless your personality is soccer mom). Schools are good and it's closer to DC, otherwise Leesburg has much more to it.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:56 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,526,625 times
Ashburn, you're not getting a SFH for $400k.

There's a fair amount of SFH inventory in Leesburg for $400k, some of which is within a decent walk of downtown. If you're in Leesburg outside the Bypass, it's a lot closer to Ashburn in terms of personality, car-dependency, etc.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:30 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,425,738 times
Yeah well unless you live and work in Leesburg i wouldnt advise.
This was just half of the story ...
Loudoun County was blooming on the government spending which are going to be cut. Income of many people who reside in Loudoun is government based. The commute to DC is a nightmare. Dulles GreenWay Toll $5 one way.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:53 AM

414 posts, read 909,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
Not euroexpat but I will never live in Ashburn, for one thing I don't think it's possible NOT to have a postage stamp lot at that price point, or anything right. No charm, no "historic center" like Leesburg, no personality (unless your personality is soccer mom). Schools are good and it's closer to DC, otherwise Leesburg has much more to it.
I think this is about correct. I have bolded the parts that I agree with most. Places like Ashburn (I have to stop myself because I have another name for that place that is not so nice, and I often will almost type that out here...use your imagination... LOL ) are rather soul-less. To me they are nothing more than a place to sleep between the rest of your lives. No descript, soul-less street after street, rolling hill after rolling hill of once beautiful land now scarred with crammed in mcmansions, town houses, strip malls...etc. No identifiable down town and/ or historic district. Basically it is exactly what they did when they built it, which was, take a giant farm, slice it up, cram ans many town houses and mcmansions on it, and throw in a strip mall here or there to make it somewhat convenient for necessary day to day living.

Places like Ashburn (woops almost did it agian ) do not compare to places like Leesburg, Purcellville, Old Town Fairfaix, or even Old Town Manassas in terms of charm and personality, IMHO.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:42 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,598,764 times
I think that its good that we have a diversity of different places. Folks have different needs, and get different things out of a place.

Certainly compared to the way we built SFH suburbia in the period from 1946 through the mid 90s or so, planned communities present many advantages.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:49 PM

Just as soon as this rain dries up, I think I'm going to do a photo tour of Leesburg to supplement the one we have. Any photos in particular that you guys would like to see?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia