Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 09:07 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,780,072 times

Advertisements

I have a question, as I have only lived in the area for a little more than a year. I have never seen so many dogs tied up in front yards. Every time I have seen this it is at a house with a backyard. What gives?
When we happen up on one of these dogs my dog freaks out, she sees what she thinks is another dog charging at her. And has nearly tripped me up a few times...
I don't get why these dogs are tethered in the front yard. Anyone know?

Old 09-27-2015, 02:18 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightbirdgirl View Post
I have a question, as I have only lived in the area for a little more than a year. I have never seen so many dogs tied up in front yards. Every time I have seen this it is at a house with a backyard. What gives?
When we happen up on one of these dogs my dog freaks out, she sees what she thinks is another dog charging at her. And has nearly tripped me up a few times...
I don't get why these dogs are tethered in the front yard. Anyone know?
Because people are jerks.

Old 09-27-2015, 01:30 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,919,247 times
Only thing I can think of is mom wants the kids in the back yard, rather than the front, where there is less traffic and fewer child snatchers, not to mention the doggie pooh is not where the kiddies can step. Could be security, leaving door open for security. I don't have a clue if this is why- I've always had a fenced yard with pets.

Back in the mid 80's we had a neighbor tie up his German Sheppard 24/7 out front and treated it meanly. The neighbors got sick of it, and without cell phones and instant videos, it grew to a large numbers complaining about his treatment of the dog over a very long period of time. By the time Animal Control was ready to handle the problem, the dog was too darn mean for anyone else.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:14 PM

8 posts, read 6,025 times
Quick Update: my dog has still yet to be on a leash! No incidents to speak of. My dog is just as happy as she was yesterday. And I remain a 100% confident in my dog, it's people you should watch out for!!!

Ok you all can go back to calling me a troll. Serious dog owners don't listen to these fools. Your dog can be trained to a point you are certain your dog won't do as it pleases. There are plenty of examples of this to be seen for yourself. Second please don't have a dog off leash if you can't control your emotions and be a true leader!! You have to be patient and spend a lot of time with your dog, its not like I started walking my dog off leash the very next day. Take the time required set boundaries(yes, dogs can be taught boundaries) and both you and your dog will be happy. Remember when training being off leash to be free is the reward!!!

Last edited by Bogey91099; 10-13-2015 at 06:42 PM..

Old 10-14-2015, 01:51 AM

You most certainly are trolling and you know it.

Old 10-14-2015, 06:58 AM

170 posts, read 199,343 times
Bootstrap your dog to perfect obedience!

Old 10-14-2015, 07:33 AM

601 posts, read 593,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogey91099 View Post
Quick Update: my dog has still yet to be on a leash! No incidents to speak of. My dog is just as happy as she was yesterday. And I remain a 100% confident in my dog, it's people you should watch out for!!!

Ok you all can go back to calling me a troll. Serious dog owners don't listen to these fools. Your dog can be trained to a point you are certain your dog won't do as it pleases. There are plenty of examples of this to be seen for yourself. Second please don't have a dog off leash if you can't control your emotions and be a true leader!! You have to be patient and spend a lot of time with your dog, its not like I started walking my dog off leash the very next day. Take the time required set boundaries(yes, dogs can be taught boundaries) and both you and your dog will be happy. Remember when training being off leash to be free is the reward!!!
You are a real life troll. I hope that you and your unleashed dog don't live anywhere near me.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:10 AM

2,090 posts, read 3,575,984 times
Why are some people acting like putting a dog on a leash is a tremendous, backbreaking, Sisyphean task? Even to the point where they are bragging about how much money they are saving by not buying leashes? Seriously? A leash is a tiny one-time expense and clipping the leash on your dog takes two seconds.
Even if my dog was 100% perfectly-well-trained and like Lassie and Rin-Tin-Tin combined times ten, I would STILL want to put her on a leash because no matter how well you train your dog, you can't account for OTHER people's crazy dogs so you want to have a leash to have some control in case your dog gets attacked or some other bad incident happens.

Old 10-14-2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateofnature View Post
Why are some people acting like putting a dog on a leash is a tremendous, backbreaking, Sisyphean task? Even to the point where they are bragging about how much money they are saving by not buying leashes? Seriously? A leash is a tiny one-time expense and clipping the leash on your dog takes two seconds.
Even if my dog was 100% perfectly-well-trained and like Lassie and Rin-Tin-Tin combined times ten, I would STILL want to put her on a leash because no matter how well you train your dog, you can't account for OTHER people's crazy dogs so you want to have a leash to have some control in case your dog gets attacked or some other bad incident happens.
There is NO 100% perfectly-well-trained dog as this person wants us to believe. I know. I've been training dogs since 1986 and have seen and trained some of the best LE K9's around. And NONE have ever been perfect. All dogs will make mistakes or they would not be dogs. I'm fairly certain this person is nothing but a troll.

Old 10-14-2015, 06:44 PM

8 posts, read 6,025 times
Sigh. never said my dog was perfect. You folks can't even read or understand the definition of what a troll is. I simply post an opposing argument, that doesn't make me a troll. If you read most of the comments here, most of the problems are stemming from the human end not the dogs. You're suppose to be a trainer but you don't even understand how emotionally connected a dog is to its owner or how they can pick up even the slightest hint of fear? Or how simply properly socializing a dog at the right age alleviates many behavioral problems?

C'mon man, if you're going to refer to yourself as a K9 trainer at least learn little something about what you're talking about first!!! ( now that last sentence is trolling!)

My aim isn't to change your mind it's to save other owners and their dogs from undue stress when they come here and see nothing but ignorance and believe it to be fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia