Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 10:58 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,962,390 times

Advertisements

I wonder how this varies across different neighborhoods?

I haven't really seen anything like this happen, save for my one neighbor who walks her elderly arthritic dog around the block sans-leash, but I don't think he could run more than a couple yards before he stopped. I walk my dog regularly at accotink, and have never seen an unleashed dog (the bike riders probably discourage it!), used to walk at Fort Ward twice a day and the only unleashed dog was at 6 am practicing hunting retrievals (certainly not pooping out of sight). My dog used to take herself on unleashed walks when we lived in a ground floor apartment (she figured out how to open the door on her own while we were at work and go on adventures until we had management install a deadbolt!)

I wonder if it's the presence of so many busy roads nearby, or the existence of so many dog parks nearby that curbs the behavior? Or if certain demographics of people are more/less likely to do it?

Old 08-18-2011, 11:13 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,745,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Or if certain demographics of people are more/less likely to do it?
Yes, absolutely. In my observation, a certain demographic is overwhelmingly more likely to let their dogs off leash than any other. And that demographic is white people. (In fact, it's very rare I see anyone other than fellow caucasoids walking dogs at all.) Is it too much to ask that we live up to our law-abiding, order-loving stereotype?

Old 08-18-2011, 12:23 PM

36 posts, read 75,160 times
Carlingtonian, if the dog is not being a nuisance and the owner appears to be able to control the dog, what business is it of yours whether it's on a leash or not? WHy are you such a busybody? Don't you have more important things to worry about than hassling someone out playing with their dog? Sheeesh.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guilliam View Post
Carlingtonian, if the dog is not being a nuisance and the owner appears to be able to control the dog, what business is it of yours whether it's on a leash or not? WHy are you such a busybody? Don't you have more important things to worry about than hassling someone out playing with their dog? Sheeesh.
Did you read my post? Or any of the roughly 40 others that agree with me?

1. I have to size up your unleashed dog to see if it's going to be aggressive toward my leashed dog.

2. My dog knows he's on a leash and knows yours isn't. Which means he too has to size up your dog and worry about your dog attacking him. He feels vulnerable being at that kind of disadvantage.

3. Not having it on a leash is just an excuse for you not to notice when your dog defecates so you can leave it there rather than pick it up.

4. Your dog is more likely to get hit by a car.

5. IT'S THE LAW. You don't get to obey just the laws that you find convenient.

Any more questions?

Old 08-18-2011, 01:28 PM

36 posts, read 75,160 times
So Carl, it's all about you is what your'e telling me. There's lots of laws. Lot's of stupid laws. Who hired you to enforce them all. What's next, taking down the names of your neighbors who jay walk and don't cross at the corner? AFter all, IT"S THE LAW.

I lived in Arlington four years. Walked my dog every day. Not once did I use the leash, which I carried. And I also carried doggie poop bags. Not once did I come across a busy body like you that was deathly afraid of my 10-year old Lab.

Your petty attitude is why life is so full of unnecessary BS. You remind me of the blue haired old ladies who run HOAs and Condo associations so they can tell everyone else how to live their lives.

Any more questions?

Old 08-18-2011, 01:36 PM

Guilliam:

I seriously doubt you carried poo bags. Otherwise, what would be the point of not putting the dog on a leash? If the dog is truly right there with you, then why would you not go ahead and put the leash on him?

I'm not afraid of your Lab. But how do you know that other dogs may not be? There are dogs adopted from shelters who may be afraid of ANY dog, including yours.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:57 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,818,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guilliam View Post
So Carl, it's all about you is what your'e telling me. There's lots of laws. Lot's of stupid laws. Who hired you to enforce them all. What's next, taking down the names of your neighbors who jay walk and don't cross at the corner? AFter all, IT"S THE LAW.

I lived in Arlington four years. Walked my dog every day. Not once did I use the leash, which I carried. And I also carried doggie poop bags. Not once did I come across a busy body like you that was deathly afraid of my 10-year old Lab.

Your petty attitude is why life is so full of unnecessary BS. You remind me of the blue haired old ladies who run HOAs and Condo associations so they can tell everyone else how to live their lives.

Any more questions?
So Guilliam, it's all about you and how you are above the law... that's what you are telling us.

Okay, my snide remark aside, even if you don't want to admit it, it is a problem that effects other people. Maybe your particular dog isn't a problem, but there are plenty of others that are. I've had unleashed dogs playfully bound up to my dogs and scare them (and scared, cornered animals will snarl and bare teeth). I've also had unleashed dogs bound up to me and slobber on me... yeah, just what I like. My Aunt had an unleashed dog bound up to her dog (on leash) and start fighting (my aunt was bitten in the attack and her dog required $2000 in medical care and the other owner was shocked because his dog was "friendly" and always walked off leash).

Then there are the people that seek to ban ALL dogs at places because some people can't obey the law (so I am being punished because someone else can't be bothered to obey). Or the people that scold me as I walk by with my dogs on a leash because someone else let their dog run loose and defecate on their lawn.

If you want to let your dog run around unleashed, do it on your own property or in a dog park. If you don't like the law, do the responsible thing and seek to change it, but don't assume you own the public parks and spaces and don't need to obey the rules the rest of us have to. You aren't being forced to bring your dog to these public places and when you do, you should obey the rules.

By the way, a little interesting fact. Labs bite more people per year than any other dog breed including pitbulls, German shepherds, and rottweilers.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Yes, absolutely. In my observation, a certain demographic is overwhelmingly more likely to let their dogs off leash than any other. And that demographic is white people. (In fact, it's very rare I see anyone other than fellow caucasoids walking dogs at all.) Is it too much to ask that we live up to our law-abiding, order-loving stereotype?
I was thinking more old vs. young, west coasters vs. east coasters vs. midwesterners, men vs. women, etc.

I agree 99% of people I meet at the dog park or see walking their dogs are white. It is very much white culture to own dogs that you walk on leashes (or walk at all). In most countries, dogs are just turned loose, or you don't own them at all.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:12 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,818,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I was thinking more old vs. young, west coasters vs. east coasters vs. midwesterners, men vs. women, etc.

I agree 99% of people I meet at the dog park or see walking their dogs are white. It is very much white culture to own dogs that you walk on leashes (or walk at all). In most countries, dogs are just turned loose, or you don't own them at all.
The only thing I've ever noticed about people whom I see regularly not walking dogs on leashes are that they either treat their dogs like "people in fur suits" (forgetting, while they are beloved pets and family members, they are just dogs and it's not fair to assume they have human psychology) or they figure their dog is harmless (but they don't stop and think beyond their own personal situation to consider other dogs or people).

I've seen young and old do it, men and women, etc. I have no idea where most people are from though--I don't generally ask them that.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:18 PM

My dog is absolutely treated as a "person in a fur suit" (my fur-baby!) but that's WHY i walk her on a leash. Because I'd be devastated if anything happened to her.

It helps that she's reactive, too. I know if a motorcycle or large truck drives by, she'll be at the end of the leash barking trying to chase down the offender (though if she ever got close she'd just cower in fear). I just don't trust my surroundings enough to believe that none of her trigger objects will be around the next corner.

I envy people who have their dog under 100% voice control. Unfortunately, I believe most dogs are under 90% (or 70%) voice control, and eventually the limit will be tested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia