Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 08:14 PM

159 posts, read 339,407 times

Advertisements

I'm a 28 yr old female with a Master's. I've been living in Northern Arlington (Orange line) for almost 4 years. Due to the high-rent costs, I've been in the same apartment since I first moved in Sep. 2007-- and with the same roommate. I'm sure this living situation has played a huge role in my dissatisfaction in the area. That, and a number of unsatisfactory experiences with jobs. I'm even more unsatisfied with the dating scene. I've only had one long-term on/off relationship in my time here.

I'm currently unemployed. I'm open to relocating, but I'm not sure where would be a good city for me to go next. I'm originally from the tri-state area, and I'm not sure that I could live "comfortably" without a roommate. And I'm definitely OVER the roommate thing.

I like that I'm close to my friends and family in the northeast, but I'm ready for a change. I've considered Chicago and Austin, both very different. I think I'm just ready to be anywhere but HERE.

Anyone else feel like this cookie-cutter town just doesn't cut it for them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 08:39 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,815,292 times
I like it here, but if you feel like you need a change, then a move might be good for you. Some things you can look at (other than jobs of course) is ease of travel (maybe someplace that has direct flights to where your family is). Then you can move someplace new, but not feel like you are "that" far away. Whatever you decide, good luck!

Old 08-21-2011, 07:16 PM

221 posts, read 438,985 times
Sounds like you're unhappy with your life and some of the decisions you've made. Blaming it on other people or places is such a cop out. Find a job you like, live by yourself or get a new roommate...eat healthy and exercise and enjoy life...you're wasting valuable time in your prime moaning about dissatisfaction. You're complaints are cookie-cutter. Wake up! Or just leave, one less car in all the traffic...

Old 08-21-2011, 07:27 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,913,584 times
Women between the ages of 22-30 are in no position to complain about the dating life in this area IMO.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:38 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,816,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joiseygirl732 View Post
I'm a 28 yr old female with a Master's. I've been living in Northern Arlington (Orange line) for almost 4 years. Due to the high-rent costs, I've been in the same apartment since I first moved in Sep. 2007-- and with the same roommate. I'm sure this living situation has played a huge role in my dissatisfaction in the area. That, and a number of unsatisfactory experiences with jobs. I'm even more unsatisfied with the dating scene. I've only had one long-term on/off relationship in my time here.

I'm currently unemployed. I'm open to relocating, but I'm not sure where would be a good city for me to go next. I'm originally from the tri-state area, and I'm not sure that I could live "comfortably" without a roommate. And I'm definitely OVER the roommate thing.

I like that I'm close to my friends and family in the northeast, but I'm ready for a change. I've considered Chicago and Austin, both very different. I think I'm just ready to be anywhere but HERE.

I felt NoVA wasn't for me so I packed up and went to Louisville and am decently happy with my choice. I would not look for a job here though since I just survived a mass layoff myself.

I think Houston should get a look from you since it has a low COL and decent job situation. Same with Austin.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:46 PM

560 posts, read 1,294,140 times
Everyone is different, but I’d be 100% focused on getting a job, rather than dating. If I couldn’t find a job here or elsewhere, then I’d suck it up and go back “home” to family or other support system. Just me, but wouldn’t ever move to a new city without a firm job offer. Anyhow, I’m hoping for the best for you and that you’ll come back later to report your success story.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:34 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,522,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Women between the ages of 22-30 are in no position to complain about dating life IMO.
I fixed that slightly for you. Women between 22-30 are in demand, plain and simple.

OP, for a guy to date you must he be: over 6', make $100k+ a year, be of your EXACT ethnic group, live within 20 minutes of you (sorry, Centreville guys, you're OUT!), etc.? And, if we're going to be analyzing your love life -- do you have champagne tastes on a beer budget so to speak?

As for your job situation: if you're going to be sporadically employed and don't want to have a roomie, then you may as well move. Just keep in mind the job situation outside the "gold collar" fields (retail, hospitality, food service, etc.) may not be the greatest. But then again, I'd rather be making $25k a year in Oklahoma City than $35k a year here.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:38 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,128,777 times
I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're looking for, but you might consider these cities:

Top Ten Promiscuous Cities

Old 08-22-2011, 07:12 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,894,743 times
Yeah it's not the area that's the problem. The fact is that there are a LOT of single people in NOVA/DC/MD, more than the vast majority of the country. Sorry to say but I agree with the poster who says you're blaming a place when it has nothing, or at least very very little, to do with your dissatisfaction. It is a perfectly normal reaction to externalize issues or shortcomings. "I'm single because the guys here all suck" or "I'm not married because all the good ones are taken". But something internal is more likely the problem, and it may be something as easy to adjust has having too high of standards or not meeting enough guys. Or something that takes more work to fix.

That said, sometimes it can be nice to move away and "start fresh". Good luck in whatever you decide.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:02 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,105,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joiseygirl732 View Post
I'm a 28 yr old female with a Master's. I've been living in Northern Arlington (Orange line) for almost 4 years. Due to the high-rent costs, I've been in the same apartment since I first moved in Sep. 2007-- and with the same roommate. I'm sure this living situation has played a huge role in my dissatisfaction in the area. That, and a number of unsatisfactory experiences with jobs. I'm even more unsatisfied with the dating scene. I've only had one long-term on/off relationship in my time here. . .
Hmmmm . . . so let's get this straight;

You're living with someone you don't like;
You're living somewhere you don't like;
You don't like your job (or any of them);
You haven't had much luck dating;
You are unemployed;
You have limited funds (because you're unemployed)

I think you need to step back and take a look at the greater picture. Stop thinking about dating right now because, honestly, this list you just gave us needs work. Personally, if I were a guy, I would not find these attributes appealing, much less attractive in any way. Please don't take this the wrong way -- we've all been there (including myself!). But "dating" (which would lead to a quality relationship) falls in sync with everything else in a person's life. IOW, if you're miserable/unhappy with career, living conditions, health, hobbies, family, etc. then you're personal life also reflects. Some cultures call it being "off centered" and that an individual is not "centered" until all areas work together, ultimately in harmony.

My advice? Take a breather and re-evaluated what you really want to do. And think about your career, personal life, physical self, etc. -- think of things as a whole. I do not believe that relocating solves your problems and frankly, attempting to relocate without a job prospect and limited funds only means you'll be digger a deeper hole you're already in. You sound rather depressed which means it's hard to make change, but that's what you do need to do in order to move forward.

The DC-NoVA area is not an easy place to live. In fact, I think it's pretty tough, especially to a newcomer. Not sure what part of Jersey you're from but it's always worked for me to return home for a few days and think alot and come back. Being in the woods, swamps, cranberry bogs, and wildlife are always refreshing and provide a different perspective to life here!

Quote:
Not sure exactly what you mean by this but if it's about suburban homogenous developments, vinyl-sided, veneer-clad, HOA places, then maybe a simple solution is to move out and find a neighborhood you're comfortable in. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia