Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 07:27 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,108,193 times

Advertisements

My daughter and her fiance plan to marry next year after he graduates from dental school.

He has more family in PA and VA than she does in NC, so they've decided VA is the place to get married. They'll probably settle there as well.

They want the families to get together for a nice event, but of course, $$$ is an issue.

Can anyone recommend any budget-friendly wedding venues and reception ideas in the NoVa area -- or outside the area?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 07:59 PM

9,781 posts, read 15,810,424 times
Hi lovebrentwood! I recognize you from the Raleigh board! As you probably know Northern Virginia is very pricey, so I'm not sure it's the best place to look for a budget wedding. Have they considered the Richmond/Fredericksburg area? Or perhaps north of DC into Baltimore or Northern Maryland. They are all along the 95 corrider so would be convenient to most people and are all probably cheaper than the DC area.

What kind of budget are you looking at? Have you looked into state parks? One place that comes to mind, although maybe a bit off the beaten path is Cacapon State Park in West Virginia near Berkeley Springs, WV. They have a lodge and banquet facilities. I'm not sure of the prices, and it would probably be somewhat rustic. Here is the link: Home Page - WV State Parks and Forest

In NoVA there is a park we like in Loudoun County called Algonkian that holds special events: Great Blue Heron Catering

Fairfax County also has events in their county parks: Historic Properties Rental Services

Another idea is to call Chinese restaurants. They sometimes have banquet rooms, and their food is reasonably priced. There's a place in Vienna where I live that has a separate room: Wu's Garden. But I'm sure there are a ton.

Other ideas to cut down on costs: have the wedding on Sunday afternoon, do lots of things yourselves - favors, flowers, print the invites, etc.

Also, there is a great bridal store in Burlington called Bridal Mart that has very reasonable gowns. I bought mine there many years ago and was very pleased.

Good luck and congratulations to your daughter!

Old 08-22-2011, 03:42 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,861,436 times
I think we need to know budget to really help you out. You could have a thousand dollar budget (yeah, well that wouldn't help either but are we talking a few thousand or ten thousand or twenty thousand?

I got married for rather cheaply. I had my reception held here:

Banquet Room Virginia - Anthonys Restaurant and Sports Bar - Authentic Greek and Italian food served at Virginia locations in Manassas and Falls Church. Menu includes pizza, subs, gyros, burgers and sandwiches to lamb, veal, pasta, seafood or vegetar (http://www.anthonysrestaurantva.com/banquet_room.php - broken link)

The prices are super reasonable depending on what you're looking for. I've also been to many birthday parties and another reception here as well. It was 10 years ago when I got married but we did our entire wedding, reception, gown, tux, flowers, invitations, favors, etc for just about $3300....and that's partly because my gown was so expensive ....this was for 70 people.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:01 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,680,308 times
I'm not sure what your definition of "shoestring" is!!!

I have heard good things about Meadowlark Gardens (The Atrium) as far as price and atmosphere goes. It's probably one of the cheaper places you can host a wedding and reception without going to a fire hall or your backyard (and there's not a darn thing wrong with those options either).

Meadowlark Botanical Gardens - Main Page

Old 08-22-2011, 05:05 AM

4,900 posts, read 7,460,673 times
How about a vineyard? They're scattered all over the state and some have barns or a rental tent available. But as said above, everyone's idea of "shoestring budget" is different so a more specific range would give people ideas. Good luck and Best Wishes to them.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:20 AM

3 posts, read 12,336 times
I just photographed a wedding in Manassas inside the old courthouse. It was a pretty nice venue for a couple who was trying to keep costs down. They then had a reception at La Capilla that was just a short walk away. It was a fabulous place for a reception!!!!! It's in an old historic church and they serve fabulous hispanic tapas. Seriously the best lamb chop i have ever had!!! Then they have a separate area downstairs for dancing, champagne and cake. Everything was on a budget but it was truly a beautiful place!La Capilla Restaurant - Home

Old 08-22-2011, 06:28 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,113,806 times
I have no idea if you could use either of these places, but if it sounds appealing you might enquire.

1) Sallie Mae used to own a lovely piece of land in Reston that had a gazebo, pretty walks, and a pond. They old the property to Verisign but I understand Verisign hasn't moved in yet. The grounds are maintained--maybe they would consider renting it to you? The property is near the intersection of American Dream Way and Old Reston Ave.

2. In Herndon there is a really pretty office park near Wasser Terrace. It's between a Hyatt and AT&T. I've often thought it would be a nice spot for an outdoor wedding. I have no idea if they'd rent it out on a weekend but it can't hurt to ask.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:06 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,108,193 times
Thank you! These are all great ideas I'll pass on to my daughter. I'm always open to more ideas, too.

"Shoestring" budget in my case means it is a: "They will both have graduated from school (finally), and not one of us has any business going into debt whatsoever, especially given current economic conditions, and especially since they are already up to their ears in student loans, but what the heck, we all need a good party, and there has to be a way, somewhere, somehow, to keep it reasonable but still nice, especially since people will be coming in from around the country and even Europe" budget.

My husband and I were married in our backyard, under a pretty white arch, by my cousin, who is a minister, with flowers (potted mums) provided by Walmart. But I don't think she's going to go for that.

They have decided it will be in Virginia. Somewhere. They used to live in NoVa, so they know it's expensive, but I guess after living in Manhattan for a few years, it'll seem reasonable.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:09 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,680,308 times
One thing to keep in mind when picking your location is what is around it. If most guests will be traveling from out of town, make sure there are sufficient "affordable" hotel options for the guests. Nothing like having a reception somewhere in NoVA that is surrounded by $200 a night hotels. And, nothing like going to a wedding in Virginia somewhere and the only hotel around is The Red Roof in that hasn't been updated in 20 years.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:22 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,591,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
My daughter and her fiance plan to marry next year after he graduates from dental school.

He has more family in PA and VA than she does in NC, so they've decided VA is the place to get married. They'll probably settle there as well.

They want the families to get together for a nice event, but of course, $$$ is an issue.

Can anyone recommend any budget-friendly wedding venues and reception ideas in the NoVa area -- or outside the area?

Thanks!
Friends of mine just had a "potluck" wedding reception. Best food we've ever had at a wedding! They simply asked for the food instead of wedding gifts. They even used disposable plates and utensils. It worked out amazingly well and saved them a ton of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia