Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 10:39 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,435,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stp_fan View Post
If you lost your job tomorrow, how long could you continue to pay your mortgage and when would it start effecting your kid's lives.....

just rent a townhouse until you save more money up...
Losing your job while renting isn't much better. At least with a home you can live there for at least a year before you get foreclosed. Stop paying your rent and see how long you last
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 07:44 AM

169 posts, read 338,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
Losing your job while renting isn't much better. At least with a home you can live there for at least a year before you get foreclosed. Stop paying your rent and see how long you last
I'd much rather deal with a landlord to whom I owe $5K-$10K for the remainder of a year lease than a large bank to whom I owe $100K-$200K for a 30 year mortgage. And as far as damage to your credit record, I would guess that an eviction is easier to recover from than a foreclosure.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:51 PM

505 posts, read 767,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vauser View Post
Very helpful responses (as always!) in this forum. Thanks much. Some more details, if it helps:

* Combined family income: $150K+.
* Mid 30s.
* No debts other than the mortgage on the home.
* Family of 3.
28% of 150K works out to $3500/mo. Making some assumptions about property tax and insurance, and given current low interest rates that would translate to about a $600k mortgage. Potentially you could go higher, but you increase the risk of being "house poor". Obviously you'll also need to bring cash for a down payment and closing costs.

If $3500/mo is more than you are comfortable with, then you can dial it back to an amount that works better for you.

A better approach might be figuring out what monthly payment you are comfortable with and how much cash you are willing to spend for a down payment and closing costs. From there it is pretty straightforward math to calculate how what home price you can afford.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:28 AM

271 posts, read 448,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock847 View Post
28% of 150K works out to $3500/mo. Making some assumptions about property tax and insurance, and given current low interest rates that would translate to about a $600k mortgage. Potentially you could go higher, but you increase the risk of being "house poor". Obviously you'll also need to bring cash for a down payment and closing costs.

If $3500/mo is more than you are comfortable with, then you can dial it back to an amount that works better for you.

A better approach might be figuring out what monthly payment you are comfortable with and how much cash you are willing to spend for a down payment and closing costs. From there it is pretty straightforward math to calculate how what home price you can afford.

FWIW,
The above metrics fit our scenario almost exactly, we closed on our house Late June. We went over the numbers again and again, being the cheapskate that I am I was very aprehensive with a mortage of $3k+ (including taxes,insurance,HOA). However we are aproaching September and we have no regrets with our purchase, and we feel like we have more then enough to not feel house poor. Even with all the purchases you make when you move into a home (new furniture, yard tools, replacement of anything builder grade).

sale price 520K
Rate 4.5% 30yr
combined income is just under 150K.
Oh P.S. Wife and I are under 28 years of age.
Hope that helps.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:23 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,177,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_In_NOVA View Post
FWIW,
The above metrics fit our scenario almost exactly, we closed on our house Late June. We went over the numbers again and again, being the cheapskate that I am I was very aprehensive with a mortage of $3k+ (including taxes,insurance,HOA). However we are aproaching September and we have no regrets with our purchase, and we feel like we have more then enough to not feel house poor. Even with all the purchases you make when you move into a home (new furniture, yard tools, replacement of anything builder grade).

sale price 520K
Rate 4.5% 30yr
combined income is just under 150K.
Oh P.S. Wife and I are under 28 years of age.
Hope that helps.
Do you have kids yet? Just curious. That is a BIG line item that can affect how comfortable a mortgage in that range is. The mortgage we are about to take on today basically is our current mortgage+the cost of our daughter's monthly daycare which is going away because she is entering K. If we have another, we will probably have to cut back on savings since daycare is NOT cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia