Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 06:16 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,111,421 times

Advertisements

Kayaks are much better, IMO. There are some parts of the Potomac that get too shallow for any other type of boat--and those are often the most interesting areas of the river, the places where the birds gather, the best spots for landing, or the coves near islands that can be fun to explore. Kayaks also have an easier time negotiating the tall grasses that can be a problem at this of year. To be honest I would wait a few weeks to have your first Potomac experience, since those grasses can really be a nuisance. Go after mid September and you'll have a lot more fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 06:26 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,734,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Kayaks are much better, IMO. There are some parts of the Potomac that get too shallow for any other type of boat--and those are often the most interesting areas of the river, the places where the birds gather, the best spots for landing, or the coves near islands that can be fun to explore. Kayaks also have an easier time negotiating the tall grasses that can be a problem at this of year. To be honest I would wait a few weeks to have your first Potomac experience, since those grasses can really be a nuisance. Go after mid September and you'll have a lot more fun.
Thanks, Caladium. I hear you. Especially on the grasses. A while back, I had an 8-foot sailing dinghy, and the one time I got to take it out on the water, I got nearly stuck in some river kelp* near Belle Haven Marina. (Probably didn't help that I had a friend in the boat with me.)

Tangent: Washington Sailing Marina used to have great, cheap crabcake sandwiches at its small concession stand. Then they got rid of them a few years ago. I wonder if popular demand might've brought them back. The deck there is a great place to watch planes land, with great views of DC.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 09-01-2011 at 06:44 AM.. Reason: *I say kelp, but it could've been arugula.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:01 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,280,397 times
If you're concerned about safety probably the best things you can do would be to take someone with you and wear a life vest. One issue with a canoe would be wind if you're by yourself as it's pretty hard to deal with with just one paddler. I never go out on the water by myself even though I'm a very strong and experienced ocean swimmer.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:31 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,734,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
If you're concerned about safety probably the best things you can do would be to take someone with you and wear a life vest. One issue with a canoe would be wind if you're by yourself as it's pretty hard to deal with with just one paddler. I never go out on the water by myself even though I'm a very strong and experienced ocean swimmer.
I definitely will wear a PFD. If I get a kayak, it would be a one-seater. I've done some canoeing, but as you said, the wind can make it a real ordeal. And as you know, they're less stable than kayaks (not to mention heavier to transport).

Old 09-01-2011, 08:02 AM

FWIW there are safety buoys on the upper Potomac to mark off the dangerous spots as you get close to the falls.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:48 AM

414 posts, read 907,972 times
I go out on the river all times of the year except winter really, and I can honestly say I've never had problems with the grasses. At times in different places in different years there can be quite the aquatic plant bloom, especially hydrilla, but a kayak moves over that with little problems. You just have to paddle harder though and be prepared to fling masses of green plants are yourself our at least into the air when you paddle through that stuff.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:51 AM

Since kayaking season is almost here once again I thought it would be good to revive this thread. By the way, spring is my favorite time of year for kayaking. You see lots of baby birds, and the water is usually fairly swift and high. (Not sure if that'll be as true this year since we didn't get much snow melt, though.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia