Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 08:59 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,468,473 times

Advertisements

I second Lucky Star's recommendations.

You'll find a lot of interesting shows on WAMU. I would also recommend WPFW, WPFW 89.3 FM Pacifica Radio Washington, DC, though it also includes music programming, and you may consider some of the programming "political." Not sure what definition you use, since many would consider Neal Boortz "political" - he has plenty of mentions at mediamatters.org.

Search Results: Boortz | Media Matters for America
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 01:26 AM

737 posts, read 1,175,667 times
If you want to find out where the news talk stations are in this area go to radio-locator.com, enter in washington or baltimore and you will be able to find them.

I don't care for political talk either so I find myself listening to 1090 WBAL (Baltimore) which DOES NOT air the dominant conservative or liberal syndicated talkers. 790 WRNR (Martinsburg) carries Clark Howard and Dr Joy Browne but their signal does not extend past Leesburg. Other news talk stations in this area include 680 WCBM, 730 WTNT, 1260 WWRC, 1450 WOL, 1580 WHFS. You will need to check their websites for schedules and most of their signals are useless after sunset.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:02 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,530,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by venture2000 View Post
Other news talk stations in this area include 680 WCBM, 730 WTNT, 1260 WWRC, 1450 WOL, 1580 WHFS...
A sad reminder that once upon a time, this area had some of the finest FM radio in the country emanating from high atop the Triangle Towers Building...

Old 09-06-2011, 03:53 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,867,112 times
Yeah, DC radio is terrible. However - I love 105.9 when you are in an area that has good reception. The Kirk and Mike show between 5 - 9am is hilarious! Other than that and WTOP when I want news and traffic I listen to Sirius.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:04 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,594,683 times
while much of whats on WAMU 88.5 is political, there are several shows that are not political at all. Car talk (which is as much humor as it is auto repair) and The Splended Table (weekly about food, wine, etc), which DW and I love. Terry Gross every weekday, usually a cultural topic. Not much local - kojo namdi does local shows, but they are about politics one half to two thirds the time Id say. They also do Metro Connection once a week, which is more like a local lifestyle magazine.

Last edited by brooklynborndad; 09-06-2011 at 09:29 AM..

Old 09-06-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
Yeah, DC radio is terrible. However - I love 105.9 when you are in an area that has good reception. The Kirk and Mike show between 5 - 9am is hilarious! Other than that and WTOP when I want news and traffic I listen to Sirius.
Used to tune it in when it was Smoth Jazz 105.9. Not since then.

Bob and Doug McKenzie were hilarious, eh. Somehow, I get the feeling that am-drivetime jocks all over the country are telling the same jokes and doing the same schtick all at the same time like one big choral group.

Sirius/XM is a pretty good alternative though. Plus you get all those basbeall games. Those will help the highway miles fly by...

Old 09-06-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
while much of whats on WAMU 88.5 is political....
Much of what is on WAMU is news, current events, and public affairs. I guess all that could seem political to some.

Quote:
...there are several shows that are not political at all. Car talk (which is as much humor as it is auto repair)...
Automatic channel-change.

Quote:
...and The Splending Table (weekly about food, wine, etc), which DW and I love.
That's The Splendid Table, of course, but they do a very good job. Interesting ideas and their recipes are nearly all doable without any special equipment or ingredients you need a passport to go get. Of course, this week included World Peace Cookies. I guess some might be politically averse to those...

Old 09-06-2011, 10:12 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,594,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Much of what is on WAMU is news, current events, and public affairs. I guess all that could seem political to some.
I was addressing the talk shows, not Morning Edition. Of course Diane Rehm is not the same as AM talk. I was assuming that the OP wasn't interested in hearing about politics at all.

Quote:
Automatic channel-change.
I know, we change the station to 88.5 when its time for them to come on, too.

Quote:
That's The Splendid Table,
Yeah, I already edited the mistype, though I STILL made a typo.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:29 AM

462 posts, read 1,213,544 times
Thanks for all the feedback. Will start investigating.

Nope. Not interested in political talk. Listening to Neal Boortz right now via computer and he is as much politics as I can handle. Sometimes I let Dave Ramsey in for variety but I can only take him in small doses. I miss Dr. Laura...so sue me!

Some of the stations mentioned above....I just can't pick up on the old-fashion radio. We must be in some "hole" or something.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:37 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,468,473 times
Quote:
while much of whats on WAMU 88.5 is political, there are several shows that are not political at all. Car talk (which is as much humor as it is auto repair) and The Splended Table (weekly about food, wine, etc), which DW and I love. Terry Gross every weekday, usually a cultural topic. Not much local - kojo namdi does local shows, but they are about politics one half to two thirds the time Id say. They also do Metro Connection once a week, which is more like a local lifestyle magazine.
I'm not sure I would agree with "much is political" - I think that's in the minority, though obviously, with so much in the news today having SOME tie-in with politics, YMMV.

Although her guests and topics often do involve politics, Diane Rehm on WAMU does many non-political shows--and her second hour daily is typically a conversation with a novelist or other writer. There is an afternoon show that sometimes features "Mocha Moms" discussing child care issues, and there are several straight news shows during the morning and the evening commuting times.

WAMU also offers a pet care show (this was once done by an animal behaviorist but now a different guy does it) and a child care show early on Saturdays (unless it's been taken off--I'm not usually up that early!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia