Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 08:20 PM

5 posts, read 8,849 times

Advertisements

Hi all!,

I know that this topic has been brought up numerous times, but I'm gonna go ahead and ask for advice anyway. I've only been in Northern Virginia for less than a year. I lived in Ashburn and now in Herndon (where I work). However, I'm looking to move closer to DC (maybe Arlington or Alexandria) when my lease is up at the end of the year. I'm not worried about the commute because I leave early enough to beat any traffic.

Anyway, I was hoping someone could give me some ideas to which parts of Arlington or Alexandria I should look at:

-Somewhat of a walking neighborhood would be nice.
-Proximity to a Metro is NOT very important.
-Rent somewhere around 1200-1300 (if possible - I know that probably prices me out of the Clarendon/Ballston neighborhoods).

I would be open to any other locations suggested as well.

Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 09:13 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
Are you open to a roommate? And/or renting someone's basement? $1300 for the cities you listed is going to push you out of anything walkable on your own.

Alexandria to Herndon makes me cringe, even if you beat the heavy rush hour. That's a long trek. I think I would look somewhere along 66 inside the beltway. That would give you a relatively easy commute out to 267 to Herndon (if you don't mind the tolls).

What's the draw in DC? Ability to go out on the weekends? Proximity to friends? Ability to attend events during the week? Just want to get more of a sense of what you're looking for...

Old 09-12-2011, 09:28 PM

Thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately, I can't get a roommate and I'm not really looking for a basement apartment.
I'm married, but my wife won't be moving until next summer, which kind of complicates my situation.

I think living in Ashburn has given me the urge to live somewhere a little more "exciting". I enjoyed living out there, but it was a real pain when I wanted to visit friends or go out. I'd like the convenience of night life, sporting events, etc. - at least for a little... while I'm still young!

Alexandria to Herndon is a little rough, but Arlington is definitely doable. I looked at some apartments in Fairfax as well, which seemed to be around 1300/mo. Those were near the Fairfax Town center area (forgot what it was actually called).

Thanks again for taking the time to respond!

Old 09-12-2011, 10:52 PM

227 posts, read 398,915 times
Call Park Adams apartments in Arlington, and ask their current rates.
Its 8 min walking to Clarendon and Courthouse.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:19 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times
I'd suggest looking at apartments in Falls Church along Wilson or along Lee Highway. E.g., Cavalier Club is a hi-rise at Wilson/Sycamore. I think rents are near the range you stated. There are also some apartments on Lee Highway just west of Military Road in Arlington, near the Lee Heights Shoppes. I'd take a drive along both routes and go in to ask the staff/residents about the different places.

Good luck!

Old 09-13-2011, 01:18 PM

414 posts, read 906,934 times
Anywhere in Arlington / Alexandria for a "walkable" neighborhood is probably NOT going to be in your price range. However, there ARE a few places that MAY be within your price range. I know there are at least a couple, well, a few, in Del Ray proper.

Del Ray is a great neighborhood, its walkable, lots of great little shops / restaurants, and has a CVS and Grocery store, although many here only go to 'our' Giant just for essentials. If you want more selection / better items you are going to have to go to Harris Teeter / Trader Joes, or Whole Foods. Those COULD be walkable, but it would be a longer walk. Think a couple miles round trip.

Have you tried using homesdatabase.com? Put in your area, price range, and what you want and it gives you results based on that. I will say though, that I personally know of at least a few apartment complexes that are not listed anywhere, and are generally spread by word of mouth. One of which I used to live it, and is most excellent management, maintenance, etc. Search for J.A. Properties, and then look for their "Glendale Apartments. I think the rents have gone up slightly, but they are still around 1100-1200 / mo, and are very well kept older apartments. When I moved out of there in July of 2010, my rent there was still 1050/ month, AND it is a short walk to Braddock Road Metro. It is a STEAL for this area, especially for how nice they are kept and the quality of the neighborhood. Mainly professionals live there. Somewhat mixed but mainly in keeping with Del Ray. The other place that was about that price I lived it, unfortuantely, has gone to hell in a hand basket. It was great until the manager quit. WHen the new manager took over, the 'bad' started to move in, and within 1 year, about 40 people I knew that lived there, myself included were driven out. Now that place is populated by people who hang around, drink, deal drugs, litter, urinate / defecate in the laundry rooms and sometimes hallways....etc. The police are ALWAYS there now. It has become a blight on the neighborhood. The place is called Caylor Gardens, in Del Ray. Avoid that place like the plague. You may be able to find some things comparable for that price range in Arlington, esp South Arlington, but it will be difficult. Check out the place I mentioned above. They will likely be a wait to get in, as there often is, but you could get lucky like I did and they have an open unit.

Your commute to Herndon, well, that is a whole other story, that is NOT a pretty one.

I would tell you that you could have our place after we leave (which we are in the midst of trying to do) but the rent is FAR above what you are looking to spend.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:30 PM

227 posts, read 398,915 times
If I was working in Herndon, and still renting, I would rent in Herndon.
Commuting from alrington to herndon and back is a bad idea IMHO.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:01 PM

Thanks all for the responses. I know my price range keeps me out of most "walkabable" neighborhoods so I guess that isn't too important anymore! I just would like the convenience of being close to some grocery stores, etc., and maybe a short drive/bus to a metro. I understand the commute can be bad, but I get into work very early.

I will definitely check out the Del Ray section - United Caps Fan...what is a typical rent for a 1 bedroom apartment in the more "walkable" parts like Clarendon or Ballston?

Thanks again all

Old 09-13-2011, 06:58 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polkahead View Post
what is a typical rent for a 1 bedroom apartment in the more "walkable" parts like Clarendon or Ballston?
About $2000/month. Seriously.

However: You could also look at these apartments at the corner of Lee Highway and N. Kirkwood (Spout Run), across from the 1930s pawn shop (a leftover from the days when this was a blah area--and now an anomaly). It's a pleasant mile walk to Clarendon from there, and a super-quick shot into DC via the GW Parkway. There's a Giant (and the Italian Store, a CVS, Starbucks, etc.) right across the street and a Safeway about half a mile west on Lee. (The construction going on in the Streeview photo has been over with for months now.)

That said, I have no idea at all what apartments there go for. But definitely less than the ones closer to the Metro.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:44 PM

2000...yikes.

Thanks for the suggestions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia