Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2011, 02:42 PM

5 posts, read 10,603 times

Advertisements

My 7 year old is really interested in learning chess, just wondering if any one knows good chess clubs/classes available in manssas /gainesville area or areas nearby?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 03:10 PM

187 posts, read 442,891 times
They used to have a chess club at Signal Hill Elementary in Manassas. Not sure if they still offer it though, or if kids that don't attend that school can join.

Old 09-16-2011, 03:51 PM

722 posts, read 1,923,494 times
I know they offered in through Victory Elementary in Bristow last year as an after school program. They had it separated in three different skill levels and would meet once a week for a 6 week session.

Does your child go to public school? If they have those after school clubs/activities maybe see if they can arrange that as one of the options?

Old 09-16-2011, 04:01 PM

5 posts, read 10,603 times
Thanks Busymummy & HereinVA . My son's school (public school) offer one after school chess programm but they have limited seats & a lottery system and my kid didnt go thru

Old 09-16-2011, 04:31 PM

722 posts, read 1,923,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em14 View Post
Thanks Busymummy & HereinVA . My son's school (public school) offer one after school chess programm but they have limited seats & a lottery system and my kid didnt go thru

https://www.silverknightschess.com/component/option,com_virtuemart/page,shop.browse/category_id,39/Itemid,45/ (broken link)

This is a chess club that has classes at Mountain View...if there is a really large interest at your child's school (and possibly other schools locally) maybe you could email them and see if there is any possibility of them offering other sessions, maybe on weekends or on weeknights at a different facility?

Also, if you live in a community with a strong HOA/clubhouse/activities/etc. maybe suggest it as an activity for the other young people of your neighborhood? Maybe there is an adult in your community that is a chess player that would be willing to teach some fo the kids? I know my community has a facebook page, so if I was looking I might start a post at the facebook page seeing if other parents in the community were interested in starting some type of club/lessons.

Good Luck!

Old 09-17-2011, 05:37 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,725,397 times
I suggest contacting the US Chess Center (in DC) and asking for referrals for your area. Both of my kids play at the Center and in clubs/ladders run by the staff and their instructors are top notch. (But we're not in Manassas/Gainesville).

One other suggestion would be to contact Paul Swaney (formerly an instructor at the Chess Center but now out on his own) with Think Ahead Chess for recommendations in your area.

My one caution - there are several options in the northern Virginia area for chess instruction, and (as with most things) there is a marked difference in quality of instruction. Some provide instruction focused on the needs of the child and others provide instruction focused on the needs of the contract signed with the parent.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:57 PM

45 posts, read 112,680 times
I would like to sign my child for a beg chess club in the Fairfax area.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:33 AM

2 posts, read 4,574 times
Default Chess class

Hi. I am in Manassas and available to teach your child for a negotiated fee and time. Call me up if you are still interested. 312-678-8767

Old 05-07-2014, 12:36 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,243,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O Henry View Post
Hi. I am in Manassas and available to teach your child for a negotiated fee and time. Call me up if you are still interested. 312-678-8767
Really?

Old 05-10-2014, 07:14 AM

2 posts, read 4,574 times
Really
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia