Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 11:45 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,832,717 times

Advertisements

Ok - here is the situation. My husband received a notice from LDC Collections for a parking ticket supposedly received at the New Carollton Metro Station in May of 2000. It said the ticket was for parking in the permit only parking lot and that the money was being collected on behalf of Prince Georges County. Less than two weeks later we received another notice from the same company saying that since we didn't pay in a timely manner further action will be taken and that the bill is now being put into collections....

A. My husband says he never received such a ticket because he never parked in the permit lot.

B. The ticket is supposedly from WMATA but is supposed to be paid to Prince George's county.

I looked briefly online at LDC Collections and apparently they have a kazillion complaints about people falsely receiving ticket notices but then having to pay the ticket.

Anybody experienced anything like this before? I would assume that Metro would issue the ticket since they have their own police force and it would go to Metro....not PG. I know that WMATA does their own investigations regarding crimes, deaths, etc....but not tickets?

I'm perplexed. He did use the New Carrolton station every so often but not frequently and hasn't lived in Maryland in 10 years. I'm just wondering if the ticket is legit or not and how we can receive a copy. When he called the number - he never could get a person, it was just an automated PG County number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 11:49 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,176,424 times
10 year old ticket?

Gack.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:54 AM

227 posts, read 397,262 times
there is got to be an online record of that ticket with PG County. Find it.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:55 AM

I just googled for "ldc collections" - sure looks like they're setting themselves up for a massive national class action lawsuit.

Any land sharks wanna be rich out there?

[one of the hits mentioned they sent out =10,000= "collections" notices in Atlanta in one batch, ALL of which they withdrew. Just that one instance should be enough to nail them, IMHO]

Old 09-27-2011, 01:08 PM

Check this out - my husband got someone nice at the county and she said that notices were sent out to our current address in VA in the year 2000....lol. Our address in VA didn't even exist at that time...I mean - it was literally a dumping ground field. They have my husband having a MD license plate (he did live in PG County) so that part is true even though the license plate they have is bogus. The woman was going to look into it and get back to us.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:17 PM

1 posts, read 3,172 times
vermonter16,
please post update of your situation. i to have recently received a similar notice for tickets at greenbelt and new carrolton metro from 2000. I sent a letter indicating i didn't owe the money. i never parked illegally at the metro nor did i ever receive tickets on my vehicle while parked at the metro. in addition, i don't own the vehicle any more. i have registered other vehicles and renewed my license at mva with no problems. i cant afford to just throw good money away. any information on how you handled would be most appreciated. thanks!

Old 03-15-2013, 11:52 PM

437 posts, read 1,222,329 times
I'm not sure of the law in MD but a 10-year old parking ticket is probably basically uncollectible at this point.

I received notices from LDC years ago for a couple of parking tickets that I had requested mail adjudication on (these were DC tickets, not PG). I responded by mail to them that DC (with typical efficiency) hadn't completed adjudication for these (several years old at that time) tickets and I didn't owe anything. I kept getting notices. So I sent another letter to LDC saying I owed them nothing, that they were now harassing me, and cc'd the FTC and DC Inspector General. I never heard from them again.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:26 PM

The ticket was finally dropped. Sorry for not reporting back. If you know you didn't park illegally or that the ticket is bogus than fight it. It took a month or so but we got a letter in the mail saying officially that there was no ticket. We only had to call a couple of times and it got taken care of.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:44 PM

Pardon a belated interjection here...somewhere I read that responding in some official manner to someone like LDC =restarts= the timer for the debt. Just a Heads Up that responding to a collection agency even 10 years a after the fact could be a mistake (though I admittedly have zero experience with collection agencies).

Old 03-18-2013, 04:56 AM

sullyguy - I hear ya on that with the statute of limitations but I don't believe it applies to tickets and maybe I am mistaken. This was an erroneous ticket and I had done some searching around online and a lot of folks have been given erroneous tickets by LDC. Now all LDC was doing is an audit of the 'system' so they say and it is the actual county that is collecting the ticket. So, you call the number on the phone....you aren't getting LDC, you are getting PG County. When my husband told the person on the phone the situation, she said it didn't sound right and that they would look into it. He called back again and the person on the phone said they would send out a notice 'cancelling' the ticket to our home address and that's exactly what they did. I'm not sure what exactly is going on....but I don't think they just cancel tickets for the sake of cancelling tickets so they must know that there is something awry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia