Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2011, 12:29 PM

104 posts, read 204,935 times

Advertisements

Anyone in the area have any experience w/ these? If so, I'd like to know your take on having one of these installed in your home, your electric bill and maintenance issues since this is new technology.
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 12:47 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,779,962 times
are you talking about the geothermal water heaters? I would consider if I was using propane or electric (not nat gas). I noticed my electric co will not rebate tankless electric water heaters because the savings are so minute over a good conventional (great space saver, though).

Old 09-29-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
are you talking about the geothermal water heaters? I would consider if I was using propane or electric (not nat gas). I noticed my electric co will not rebate tankless electric water heaters because the savings are so minute over a good conventional (great space saver, though).
No, it's different than geothermal (I think geothermal is even more efficient but I'm not sure). A heat pump water heater works like a heat pump HVAC unit except to heat water (geothermal works using the ground). It's super efficient but relatively new technology and you can qualify for both the VA and Federal rebates. (The only electric water heater that qualifies for the rebates.)

Old 09-29-2011, 01:41 PM

227 posts, read 399,047 times
OP is talking about this:
Energy Savers: Heat Pump Water Heaters

Old 09-29-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSDC View Post
OP is talking about this:
Energy Savers: Heat Pump Water Heaters
Yes, exactly. It's probably new and unknown to most people. It's a compelling option for those stuck w/ electric powered water heaters.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:00 PM

262 posts, read 841,184 times
There is a good discussion in this thread: GE Geospring Heat Pump Water Heater $999.00 @ Lowes

Quote:
"I have one of these and it has been installed around a year. It is in my garage and as a bonus it keeps the garage cool in summer and dehumidified (which was really needed). I run in heat pump only mode but it cuts over to resistance heat around 40-45 degrees ambient. I basically get 9-10 months a year out of it in heat pump mode in the Mid-Atlantic region. It runs mostly in resistance heat in December/Jan/February though it does use heat pump on warmer days or when the cars have just been driven and the garage is warmer (due to their "waste heat"). Other than the depth of winter months I see about a $20-25 savings at my average of 11 cents/KWH. My savings are somewhat limited by the fact that my dishwasher and washing machine are both very efficient. Also there are only three of us living in the house currently. Recovery time on this in the pure heat pump mode is comparable to resistance heat above 65 degrees. It gets slower below that and really slow below 55 degrees. Hybrid mode will use a mix of resistance heat and heat pump for better recovery time but I put an emphasis on savings over fast recovery. If you only have electric or oil I'd consider this if you have the right location (it is noisy) but if you are on gas already I'd pass."

Old 09-30-2011, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshan242700 View Post
There is a good discussion in this thread: GE Geospring Heat Pump Water Heater $999.00 @ Lowes
Thank you very much for this link! It was extremely helpful. The quote you included is especially useful. I think I'd get 12 months of benefits since I'd be putting it in a well insulated basement utility room. I think putting in the garage w/ no insulation, resulting in cold temps offsetting those 3 months the person mentioned.

The Lowe's price currently is what's expediting my research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia