Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2011, 03:25 PM

17 posts, read 23,524 times

Advertisements

(I apologize in advance for the cross post, but I am not sure if this area is better covered in the NOVA forum or the general VA forum, so I am trying both.)

Hi, I currently live in Western Maryland. I had only been to Winchester a few time in my life, probably last in the mid 1990s. Anyway, over the last few weekends my family and I have been in the Southern Hampshire County, Morgan County, and Frederick County VA area for different reasons.

We really like it. The area reminds me of where we currently live, but seems more prosperous and less effected by the scourage of drugs of thug culture that has invaded my home in the last 10 years.

Anyway, I am interested to learn more about the area from the locals. Specifically:

1. What is an average housing price for the Rt. 522 corridor heading from Winchester to Berkeley Springs. I could only find a few listings online and they seemed reasonable. We would want about 3 or 4 bedroom 1 or more bath and a little land, at minimum 1/2 an acre.

2. What is the currently employment situation in Winchester? I have worked in the library field, in the legal field, and in government clerical type jobs. Are their frequent openings in these areas? Do non-locals have any chance at getting these jobs when the come open?

3. So my sample size is very small, but the overall area and the Rt. 522 corridor seemed pretty crime-free. Is this true? Of course there will be pockets of bad in any area, but do the bad pockets spill over substantially the rest of the county? I ask because in my home, we are having an epidemic of break-ins county-wide, in neighborhoods of all income brackets.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 09:08 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,522,030 times
1. Housing prices are largely reasonable. What is your rent/own budget?

2. Winchester is pretty decent for generic white-collar jobs, if you have paralegal experience, you ought to be able to find something between Woodstock, Martinsburg, Winchester, Front Royal, and Leesburg. OTOH, Berkeley Springs seems like it's pretty tourism-heavy, and the main industry in Hampshire is getting people to work in Winchester and points beyond. Not sure if Hancock is a poor man's Martinsburg, closer to depressed Cumberland in terms of economic activity, or what.

3. Crime isn't an issue that I really recall along 522 -- Winchester/Berkeley Springs/Hancock ...

Old 09-07-2011, 10:23 AM

Thanks for the reply. We only have about an 80,000 dollar mortgage up here, but I know it will cost more to live somewhere else. In theory we could buy as high as 120k, maybe a little more if I could get a job that pays more than we make now (low 40s.) I found a few places around that lake near Cross Junction in that range.

I know Martinsburg, and am not a fan. Hancock is OK, but not a big enough change for where we live now to justify moving.

I will look into the paralegal field too. Thanks again for the help.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:53 AM

You can generally make more $$$ closer in but factor in the commute, time from home, etc. Low 40s in Winchester sounds doable though.

I see 26 places in Romney in your price range but that'll pretty much limit you to Winchester/Front Royal workwise. I sure as hell wouldn't want to go further in. Plus Romney is far off from Rt. 522 so I don't know how important that is for you.

Good luck. Paralegal stuff depends on what sort of legal experience you have obviously.

I'll be heading out to Berkeley Springs on the 17th, so I'll have a bit more info there at least from a tourist POV.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:05 AM

552 posts, read 740,511 times
Default berkeley count

I just moved to inwood from romney and thought it was a good move. Housing is way cheaper then winchester but everything is within a relatively easy commute. Hampshire county was great but to far of a commute. However the eastern end would be a closer commute and excellent investment. For me Berkeley springs is still to far in but it is growing rapidly as well. If you could move to Jefferson county you would be even closer to northern Virginia where u could easily find a good job if you dont mind the traffic. Just my humble opinion. Crime isn't an issue unless you move into martinsburg or winchester and even then it isn't horrible unless you choose to live in a bad neighborhood. All of these places are experiencing growth which is great for wv.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
You can generally make more $$$ closer in but factor in the commute, time from home, etc. Low 40s in Winchester sounds doable though.

I see 26 places in Romney in your price range but that'll pretty much limit you to Winchester/Front Royal workwise. I sure as hell wouldn't want to go further in. Plus Romney is far off from Rt. 522 so I don't know how important that is for you.

Good luck. Paralegal stuff depends on what sort of legal experience you have obviously.

I'll be heading out to Berkeley Springs on the 17th, so I'll have a bit more info there at least from a tourist POV.
Oh yeah. Not much fun for kids under 12, it seems, sure we could do playgrounds, libraries, etc., but the idea is to enjoy stuff we might not be able to do back home.

Will need to come back when it's just me and my wife.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:41 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I am not looking to be a commuter into the inner DC region, I just want to live in the mountains, and commute to a edge city like Winchester, Strasburg, Front Royal (see other thread about my mixed experience there) etc.

I think the plan is doable, but realistically I think I am a few years off from having the earning potential to get out of my mortgage and get a higher status job.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:15 AM

Hmm. I'd look at Page County.

You'd be within reasonable range of Winchester, Strasburg, Front Royal, Warrenton, Harrisonburg, Charlottesville, even Western Fairfax if you had no other choice (I think you'd mentioned you are looking in the legal field.)

Old 10-19-2011, 01:02 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,105,203 times
Valley Health Winchester Medical Center has grown and is continually growing. There are a variety jobs; something could suit you:

Job Search - Valley Health

We live in Winchester in the downtown historic district. As mentioned, there are some neighborhoods that are fine, some to avoid.

I think the neighborhoods along Rte 522 are okay; not sure since we do not live there.

Good luck with your move and job search! We moved out here about a year and a half ago from NOVA and love it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia