Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 07:25 AM

509 posts, read 1,263,239 times

Advertisements

Compared to where you came from, we are still in the Dallas area, do you think your kids have better opportunities or even better education just by the fact of living in NOVA?
Exclude the fact that kids can do well anywhere if they have parents who are there to help them and encourage them. I just want to get a feel if you think just because you live there if there is something different and better for your kid's education. Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 07:41 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,173,374 times
I think the diversity and educational backgrounds of the families in this area are an obvious advantage to many other areas of the country. I'm not going to say it is the end all be all, but I think we are pretty lucky here.

We also have quick access to so many wonderful learning trips/opportunities in our area. The East Coast is really great - DC, Baltimore, Philly, NYC, etc.

There is ALWAYS something to do.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:24 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,953,230 times
I don't have children, but compared to the elementary schools I went to and the one my mom teaches at in Santa Barbara, the kids here have bit more going on. They have music lessons (not just singing with a parent volunteer playing piano once in a while) and organized PE (as opposed to a teacher playing games when there is extra time), as well as art (we never had any art teacher).

The middle school I teach at is very similar to the junior high I went to, and the high schools I've seen are the same as the high school I went to.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:20 AM

72 posts, read 185,319 times
Everyone has always bragged about how great the schools are in Fairfax County and this was over 30 years ago. I am a product of the Fairfax County education system and I do not think it ever prepared me for the SAT exams or college. I went to Robinson Highschool which gets good ratings locally as well as nationally. I went to GMU and studied electrical engineering. The education system did not make me any smarter, but I just studied harder than most kids. I think the difference is that my parents always took an active roll to ensure we studied and did well in school. Just MHO.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:19 PM

303 posts, read 918,874 times
We've lived in several different cities since having kids and are thrilled with the schools here. We have one in private and one in public, and in both cases, I am quite sure these opportunities wouldn't have been available in our previous cities. The education they are getting - along with the opportunities they have in school, their social milieu, etc - is the number one reason I am glad we moved here.

Old 10-17-2011, 01:19 PM

509 posts, read 1,263,239 times
Thank you all for your responses. There is thread after thread about how great the schools are in that area. Even when we were there in the summer I would overhear people mention the same thing about the schools. We are considering moving there and I just needed a confirmation that when comparing where you came from with where you are at in NOVA, that there is a difference and for the better.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:32 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,783,055 times
This is coming from a native Virginian who attended York Co. public schools (SE Virginia) and Alexandria public schools (NoVA.) I would say Northern VA is very slightly more rigorous than SE VA. Opportunites NoVA hands down. SE VA isn't totally dead-end-ville a lot of history is down there but overall more opportunity in NoVA.

I have cousins from the Dallas area and while they do decent their school system can't hold a candle to Virginia's.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:43 PM

430 posts, read 1,193,187 times
This makes me want to move up to NoVA.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:50 PM

371 posts, read 554,420 times
Default Dallas (Plano) schools vs. Loudon (Ashburn, South Riding)

Alanboy (or others),

Can you comment on Dallas (Plano) schools vs. Loudon (Ashburn, South Riding) - you say that Dallas schools are not as good....

Thank you!

Old 10-17-2011, 06:58 PM

26,701 posts, read 41,783,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayTexan View Post
Alanboy (or others),

Can you comment on Dallas (Plano) schools vs. Loudon (Ashburn, South Riding) - you say that Dallas schools are not as good....

Thank you!
Honestly I can't really comment on those specific school systems. Never been to Loudoun Co or know anyone from there. My cousins actually went to Dallas ISD schools one is a grad from Skyline. TX vs. VA schools would be my mom's standpoint since she is from TX mind you she is from a small town outside of Texarkana so I don't know if that applies to you. But often times when I brought home HW, she was shocked at the pace of VA schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia