U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 11:11 AM

352 posts, read 1,528,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrovic View Post
Coverstone is in the county, not Manassas City. Georgetown South is one of the biggest neighborhoods in Manassas City and it is LARGELY full of illegal aliens. I'm not trying to make a political statement by my posting, merely trying to tell it like it is and not tell people half truths and personal opinions. I don't go by the census, i go by what i see on a daily basis (and i go right through Manassas everyday). Nobody knows the exact number of illegals for obvious reasons. I never said the "County" was filled with illegals, i said the Manassas City area was, big difference. I'm not trying to offend anybody. I just hope if i move out of the area and ask a question on this board that somebody would give me the straight non politically correct answer, just the truth as they see it.

To the original poster- I would suggest renting a townhouse in the Bristow/Linton Hall/Bramar area. Either place is good and has good schools/shopping in the immediate area. The problem with going to the Wellington/234 area is you are too close to G'town South. I would stay in the County (like knopfler said, stay WAY away from the Coverstone area. Also stay away from most apartments off of Sudley road in the county).
*chuckle* Your original post referenced simply "Manassas." I believe you when you say you meant the City of Manassas and not Manassas zip codes in PWC, but it was easily misinterpreted.

I'd be interested where the data comes from where you make the claim that the large portion of first generation immigrants in Georgetown South - which is probably 75%-95% of that neighborhood, to be sure - are not here legally. I'm not really doubting it per se, I just haven't seen where that claim can be substantiated?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 10:44 PM

555 posts, read 2,601,246 times
I worked that exact neighborhood for awhile not too long ago, that is just my personal observation. I'm not saying all are illegal, but a large portion are. Having said that, the problem with G'town isn't illegal or legal immigration. The vast majority of those illegals are hard working people who are also law abiding and want nothing but a better life for their family. G'town South was an S hole long before the illegals came to it. If anything i would say they have made it better. Back in the crack epidemic in the 80's and during the rise of the gangs in the 90's it was an even bigger problem than it is today. You don't see much open air drug dealing and shooting going on today than you saw in the 80's and 90's.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:50 PM

22 posts, read 122,256 times
I worked at a large company in Manassas that tracked the demographics of the area monthly... In February 2007, the hispanic/latino population of Prince William County was 53%. That's what I'd call "filled"!

Old 09-27-2007, 10:31 PM

19,180 posts, read 30,426,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCtoNC View Post
I worked at a large company in Manassas that tracked the demographics of the area monthly... In February 2007, the hispanic/latino population of Prince William County was 53%. That's what I'd call "filled"!
Wow! That's quite a spurt, considering that Census data for 2005 had the PW County Hispanic population at about 18%...

Old 09-28-2007, 10:23 AM

352 posts, read 1,528,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Wow! That's quite a spurt, considering that Census data for 2005 had the PW County Hispanic population at about 18%...
I believe our gentleman is confusing data with Manassas City, as Manassas City recently reflected a majority (52-53%) Hispanic/Latino population for the first time, and there was some news about it. Bear in mind that Manassas City has about 30k residents, whereas the county has roughly 380k.

The most current data set that I can find is at http://www.pwcgov.org/docLibrary/PDF/001824.pdf.

Old 09-28-2007, 03:35 PM

42 posts, read 272,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knopfler View Post
I believe our gentleman is confusing data with Manassas City, as Manassas City recently reflected a majority (52-53%) Hispanic/Latino population for the first time, and there was some news about it. Bear in mind that Manassas City has about 30k residents, whereas the county has roughly 380k.

The most current data set that I can find is at http://www.pwcgov.org/docLibrary/PDF/001824.pdf.
According to the city website, the Hispanic population was 25% as of 2006:

City of Manassas, Virginia - Official Website

Seems unlikely that it would have increased to over 50% since last year. Manassas city schools are majority-minority, but not majority-hispanic yet.

There was an article in the Post earlier this summer noting that Manassas Park had become majority-minority, but that includes other minorities as well as Hispanics.

Old 09-30-2007, 06:59 PM

68 posts, read 99,832 times
MCPS are less than half white. Same goes for PWCS. Both take a serious back seat to FCPS. Something to do with genetics, I would assume.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:33 PM

92 posts, read 308,065 times
I like the idea that local companies are tracking local demographics. The US Census says it's anonymous, but if I was illegal I'd toss that paper out. You can't count on the US census to include illegals.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:29 PM

19,180 posts, read 30,426,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyn2shoes View Post
I like the idea that local companies are tracking local demographics. The US Census says it's anonymous, but if I was illegal I'd toss that paper out. You can't count on the US census to include illegals.
The people at the Census have thought of that. They may not be either as stupid or as sloppy as you think...

Old 10-01-2007, 11:03 PM

92 posts, read 308,065 times
Well, when I go to 7-11 and I'm one white gal surrounded by 20 Hispanics buying drinks, another 20 outside waiting for a contractor to hire them for the day and 7 black folks, 2 middle easterners, 1 american indian and I read the census for the area....It seems a little sloppy when the census says whites dominate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia