Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 06:54 PM

1 posts, read 6,049 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are entertaining the thought of moving to Manassas for a two year job assignment. We have both read through the forums and realize that commute is definitely a factor when looking for a place to live.

We were wondering if anyone would be able to recommend an apartment complex that would be conducive to two thirtyish adults/1 two year old and two young at heart seniors. We wouldn't be sharing an apartment--we would rent two seperate units. Safety is our number one priorty--second to convenience to stores and entertainment.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 07:36 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
Manassas isn't so bad, but there may be better/smarter choices. Is the job (or jobs) in Manassas, or somewhere else that's (hopefully) really close to Manassas?

Old 08-24-2007, 07:59 PM

68 posts, read 110,055 times
Apartment rent is way to high for what you get in Manassas. The important thing is where you will be commuting to. 1200 per month for a fairly nasty 2 bedroom 1 bath doesn't make much sense. But you will be near the VRE, so you can get up at 5:30, and get home at 7:00. Rent a nice house for 15-1700, and let the seniors stay there. You will be a lot safer, and a lot less likely to have Meth heads next door, or roaches.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:03 AM

352 posts, read 1,591,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corkycat View Post
My husband and I are entertaining the thought of moving to Manassas for a two year job assignment. We have both read through the forums and realize that commute is definitely a factor when looking for a place to live.

We were wondering if anyone would be able to recommend an apartment complex that would be conducive to two thirtyish adults/1 two year old and two young at heart seniors. We wouldn't be sharing an apartment--we would rent two seperate units. Safety is our number one priorty--second to convenience to stores and entertainment.

Thank you.
I concur with the sentiment that Manassas isn't a great deal for renters, in the way that it continues to be for home buyers. That said, you must have had a reason for specifically saying Manassas - perhaps your assignment is at Lockheed/Manassas or somewhere else that's local to Manassas?

Last edited by Yac; 08-27-2007 at 08:17 AM.. Reason: realtor advertising not allowed

Old 09-04-2007, 10:17 PM

555 posts, read 2,701,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corkycat View Post

Thank you.
Manassas is primarily illegal aliens right now. The only real nice place in that area is bristow and the Linton Hall Road area. Both have nice condos and townhouses for rent/buy.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:56 AM

352 posts, read 1,591,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrovic View Post
Manassas is primarily illegal aliens right now. The only real nice place in that area is bristow and the Linton Hall Road area. Both have nice condos and townhouses for rent/buy.
I take umbrage at that - Manassas is *not* primarily filled with illegal aliens. There's been - and I've done a fair amount of looking - zero reliable data in the county as to what percentage of folks are here illegally. It's "The Great Unanswered Question." Countywide, the last census estimate (2005?) shows 18% of the population as being Hispanic/Latino, who are the major source of immigration - legal and otherwise - here in the county. Hardly a case of being "filled."

That said, Manassas City does have a *much* higher immigrant population - legal and otherwise - than most areas of Prince William County that are called Manassas. If first generational immigrant neighbors - legal or otherwise - aren't your thing, there are plenty of areas in Manassas which would still be appropriate. Sudley Manor on the western side of Route 234 Business, as long as you're not actually in Coverstone, would be one option. There are several rental complexes which would be appropriate. So would the Stonington area, and so would the Wellington/Cloverhill area, as long as you stay away from Georgetown South.

As our readers should be able to discern, illegal immigration is the hottest topic of discussion in our fair county. People do, for a variety of reasons, feel very strongly about it.

Old 09-05-2007, 05:56 PM

68 posts, read 110,055 times
The Asians move to Loudon, and the Latinos move to PW--probably to avoid each other.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:20 PM

982 posts, read 3,486,651 times
Corky,

Just about anywhere you live in Manassas is going to be convenient to shopping and things to do (or at least a major roadway to get to entertainment). The biggest determining factor is going to be what you want to spend...and quite honestly if you're going to rent in Manassas and spend the kind of money most of the apartments are asking, you may as well rent a townhouse.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knopfler View Post
I take umbrage at that - Manassas is *not* primarily filled with illegal aliens. There's been - and I've done a fair amount of looking - zero reliable data in the county as to what percentage of folks are here illegally. It's "The Great Unanswered Question." Countywide, the last census estimate (2005?) shows 18% of the population as being Hispanic/Latino, who are the major source of immigration - legal and otherwise - here in the county. Hardly a case of being "filled."

That said, Manassas City does have a *much* higher immigrant population - legal and otherwise - than most areas of Prince William County that are called Manassas. If first generational immigrant neighbors - legal or otherwise - aren't your thing, there are plenty of areas in Manassas which would still be appropriate. Sudley Manor on the western side of Route 234 Business, as long as you're not actually in Coverstone, would be one option. There are several rental complexes which would be appropriate. So would the Stonington area, and so would the Wellington/Cloverhill area, as long as you stay away from Georgetown South.

As our readers should be able to discern, illegal immigration is the hottest topic of discussion in our fair county. People do, for a variety of reasons, feel very strongly about it.
Coverstone is in the county, not Manassas City. Georgetown South is one of the biggest neighborhoods in Manassas City and it is LARGELY full of illegal aliens. I'm not trying to make a political statement by my posting, merely trying to tell it like it is and not tell people half truths and personal opinions. I don't go by the census, i go by what i see on a daily basis (and i go right through Manassas everyday). Nobody knows the exact number of illegals for obvious reasons. I never said the "County" was filled with illegals, i said the Manassas City area was, big difference. I'm not trying to offend anybody. I just hope if i move out of the area and ask a question on this board that somebody would give me the straight non politically correct answer, just the truth as they see it.

To the original poster- I would suggest renting a townhouse in the Bristow/Linton Hall/Bramar area. Either place is good and has good schools/shopping in the immediate area. The problem with going to the Wellington/234 area is you are too close to G'town South. I would stay in the County (like knopfler said, stay WAY away from the Coverstone area. Also stay away from most apartments off of Sudley road in the county).

Old 09-09-2007, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2544 View Post
The Asians move to Loudon, and the Latinos move to PW--probably to avoid each other.
Fairfax also has a large Asian population. I don't think it's an avoidance issue, just that that's where the most restaurants and cultural places are so they feel more comfortable. I guess it's the same with Latinos. If you look at Rt.1 in Woodbridge Hispanic stores have taken over whole shopping plazas in just a couple of years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia