Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 02:40 PM

147 posts, read 253,489 times

Advertisements

I am not an expert but whenever I drive in to visit the White House or the Willard (breakfast) I usually park in one of the two garages across 13th Street from the Warner Theater. They are on the same side just up from the Starbucks Coffee on the corner of 13th and E streets. That puts you about 3-4 blocks from the White House if you don't mind the walk.
see link for map. Good luck.
Washington D.C., DC - Google Maps (http://tinyurl.com/3j6r6dl - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 02:48 PM

790 posts, read 1,873,704 times
There is usually parking at the National Press Club Building. Yes, you do pay (ranges between $15 to $20 a day), but I've rarely had trouble finding garage parking. Street parking is another story.

I don't know about free meters on Saturday. I will say that I've run into many meters being broken and that forces you to use the automated system (you have to call an 877 number and set up an account or go online). What a pain.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:13 PM

4,039 posts, read 4,915,759 times
We just did a White House tour on Oct 22. We live in Western Loudoun County and decided it was easiest to just drive in as we had the two kids (3 & 2) with us. There was a big event in DC that day. We parked on New Hampshire Ave. and walked about 8 blocks. It is not free to park in DC on Saturday's. It cost us about 3-4 dollars for 1.5 hours. Using the metro would have been much easier and that's what I recommend. I think it's the Blue or Orange from Arlington. We stood in line (our appt was at 10:30am for the tour) for over an hour waiting and I think we finally got to do it around 11:30 or so. The tour itself was about 20 minutes maybe.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:26 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,464,371 times
If you know somebody who works in DC you could park in their building garage I think.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:51 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,711,744 times
I take my kids to lessons on Saturday mornings in DC and there are several Park All Day for $7 parking garages open in the area of 15th and M Streets NW.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:27 PM

518 posts, read 1,445,796 times
You can park at the East Falls Church Metro station in Arlington--the parking lot is free on the weekends. The Orange line takes you directly to the McPherson Sq station near the White House without any transfers. You would board the Orange line train bound for New Carrolton. Most tourists take Metro, which I highly recommend. On the trip back to Virginia make sure to board the Orange line train for Vienna (and not a Blue Line train). Trains should arrive at about every 10 minutes on the weekends.

If you are more comfortable navigating DC streets, then maybe try a garage as some others have mentioned. But most out-of-towners loathe driving in DC and navigating its busy intersections and traffic circles, where various roads all converge. Dupont Circle is the most notorious of the intersections.

Also, if you drive into DC, make sure your tags are up-to-date. If your sticker is expired it is an arrestable offense in DC.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:19 PM

52 posts, read 82,831 times
You all are wonderful! I really appreciate your suggestions...we are thinking of doing lunch and other things so we might just drive in. But the extra info on the Orange Line was much needed...

Also to the threadcrapper on googling-- I did, but it's much better to go straight to a trusted source rather than years old info that may be incorrect today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia