Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 09:58 PM

518 posts, read 1,452,402 times

Advertisements

I agree that public transit is often easier, quicker, and less stressful than driving (especially in transit-friendly Arlington where many people take the ART buses to Metro from various residential neighborhoods--it's true), but as Carlingtonian wrote, driving into the city can sometimes be more convenient. My father commuted from Clarendon to Dupont Circle on Metro (unsubsidized fare), until he was given a free parking space. And before 8AM (a few years ago), rt 50 to the TR bridge/E Street Expswy and 18th Street was a quick drive to his office. If you work in Upper NW/Friendship Hts (where there are more and better parking options than in dtown), driving via Chain Bridge is convenient, and is quicker than Metro with the transfer to the red line at Metro Center.

While I am a huge supporter of public transit, when I worked on certain federal holidays (office in downtown/Golden Triangle), I would always drive in, because parking was free and convenient, and the drive (on those days) hassle free.

That said, I am glad local civic leaders a generation ago had the foresight to build a large and integrated public transit system, instead of the planned dense web of freeways that would've demolished neighborhoods in Arlington, DC, MoCo, etc... Having lived and worked in LA, more freeways/more lanes does not mean less congestion. Metro on most days is a great way to commute, and as saganista wrote in the other thread, the Orange line within Arlington is less crowded these days.

So you'll have to weigh a number of factors when determining whether to drive or take public transit: where you will live, where you will work, your parking situation, and proximity of your residence to your place of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 10:09 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,509,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
...whether driving is worth it varies by individual.
This is clearly true. If there is for instance no Metro station anywhere near your home or office, Metro as a commuting option is pretty much just ruled out of the picture.

Quote:
Parking at work: Some federal employers do provide free parking if you are part of a carpool.
You can use HOV lanes if you are in a carpool also. Carpools and vanpools are options that exist in addition to those of driving in versus taking Metro or VRE.

Quote:
But parking in the Kennedy Center is $9/day--which isn't that much more expensive than riding the Metro.
It's $9 more than free. And toss in another $5-6 for up to a gallon of gas each way.

Quote:
And there are other cheapish garages elsewhere in DC. Even the ones downtown often have an early-bird special; I recall one near K Street that charged $10/day if you got in early enough.
They discount the early arrival price to offset the steep price of getting out of the lot when you try to go home early as well. They park plenty of cars in the aisles all day. Several cars may need to be moved before yours has a clear path to an exit. You can typically beat that problem by getting a monthly contract. But then you are paying to park even on days when you are sick, decide to play golf instead, or take the family off to Disney World for a week.

Quote:
Other employers farther from DC more often provide free parking; I work in Fairfax County, and ours is free.
Yes, it's assumed that the OP is eyeing downtown.

Quote:
Re. car taxes: It's true that you'll be taxed on the value of your car--but the state provides an automatic reimbursement. If your car is valued at $3000 or less, you owe nothing.
Car taxes are county taxes. The state provides relief of 70% of the county tax due on the first $20,000 of NADA blue book value. That relief goes to the counties, who decide how much of the 70% taxpayers will actually be able to get back. In Fairfax, vehicle owners get the full 70% off. Those in Prince William get just 60% off. Arlington provides 100% relief on the first $3,000 then 50% relief from $3,001 to $20,000. Clean fuel vehicles however get 70% off from $3,001 to $20,000.

Quote:
I used to commute by Metro sometimes when I worked downtown. Sometimes it was OK, but I finally got fed up with the unexplained delays, passenger offloadings, overcrowding, etc.
Even during rush hour, Metro is remarkably consistent in reaching downtown destinations within a minute or two of scheduled arrival times. Actual delays are infrequent and virtually never unexplained. A passenger who suffers a heart attack for example will be medivaced out. This will cause delays. Switches occasionally crack and have to be bypassed until repaired. This will cause delays. Entire trains can be off-loaded when a jerk tries to get on when he can't and ends up breaking a door sensor, meaning that the operator can't confirm that the door is closed. Under federal law, he has no choice but to take the train out of service until the sensor is repaired. Crowding is still an issue, but the overcrowding of now a number of years ago is no more for all intents and purposes. After a Nats or Caps game doesn't count.

Quote:
That's when my wife and I started driving in together and parking at the Kennedy Center. Worked great for us.
Carpooling is a great option. You just need people who get along well and have enough patience and flexibility to tolerate each other's needs and peccadillos over the long haul. Easier said than done.

Quote:
I now drive to work, even though my employer (the federal government) would pay for my Metro fare. (A big part of that is that taking Metro would take me about two hours, versus 45-50 minutes by car.)
Two hours? Metro isn't a realistic option for you any longer then. As it isn't for many people.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:38 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,516,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_almost_native View Post
The bridge should not be congested headed east in the morning. My husband commuted via that bridge for nine years (until last month), and the bridge was not a problem. I don't know about 295 (Anacostia Freeway), but my sense is that it is not one of the worst roads around here.
I-295 is one of the worst roads in the area. I used to live on Bolling AFB and getting anywhere out of SE DC was at least a 40 minute ordeal.

Also depending on the hour, the Wilson Bridge still has its share of slowdowns. Not as bad as it used to be (before the construction was completed), but if you hit it at the wrong time you'll be waiting to get over the river.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:22 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,739,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
It's $9 more than free. And toss in another $5-6 for up to a gallon of gas each way.
Unless you're in a Bugatti Veyron, the 5-mile trip to Foggy Bottom from Arlington doesn't use a gallon of gas. Even if a car gets a fairly crappy 20 mpg highway, that's 1/4 of a gallon one way, or half a gallon round trip--which at current prices ($3.32/gallon near me) is about $1.75 a day.

Quote:
They discount the early arrival price to offset the steep price of getting out of the lot when you try to go home early as well. They park plenty of cars in the aisles all day. Several cars may need to be moved before yours has a clear path to an exit..
All I know is that a couple of ex-coworkers from my stint at a transit-oriented employer (!) would use a garage downtown, and I never heard any of these complaints from them.

Quote:
Car taxes are county taxes. The state provides relief of 70% of the county tax due on the first $20,000 of NADA blue book value. That relief goes to the counties, who decide how much of the 70% taxpayers will actually be able to get back. In Fairfax, vehicle owners get the full 70% off. Those in Prince William get just 60% off. Arlington provides 100% relief on the first $3,000 then 50% relief from $3,001 to $20,000. Clean fuel vehicles however get 70% off from $3,001 to $20,000.
Good info; thanks. Wow, Arlington is such a shaft. And the discount for "clean fuel" vehicles? Please. There are old Honda Civics that get 40 mpg, and they don't get this tax break. (Same with the HOV exemption allowing d-bags in their giant Escalade Hybrids to drive solo, while someone in a Geo Metro or Honda Del Sol has to find a rider.)

Quote:
Even during rush hour, Metro is remarkably consistent in reaching downtown destinations within a minute or two of scheduled arrival times. Actual delays are infrequent and virtually never unexplained. A passenger who suffers a heart attack for example will be medivaced out. This will cause delays. Switches occasionally crack and have to be bypassed until repaired. This will cause delays. Entire trains can be off-loaded when a jerk tries to get on when he can't and ends up breaking a door sensor, meaning that the operator can't confirm that the door is closed. Under federal law, he has no choice but to take the train out of service until the sensor is repaired. Crowding is still an issue, but the overcrowding of now a number of years ago is no more for all intents and purposes. After a Nats or Caps game doesn't count..
Maybe it's gotten better in the last couple of years; I sure hope so. I do think you're mistaken about delays or offloadings being "virtually never unexplained." I can remember many times when we were offloaded with no explanation. I can't be the only one who recalls this.

My best experience in the Metro system has been on the bus--the 3Y to downtown via Lee Highway. Fairly quick and overall pretty dependable.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:27 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,739,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
I-295 is one of the worst roads in the area. I used to live on Bolling AFB and getting anywhere out of SE DC was at least a 40 minute ordeal.
My condolences for your time on Bolling. Been there once--wow, what a dump. No offense. It's just so bleak and treeless.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:02 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,509,120 times
Quote:
Good info; thanks.
No problem.

Quote:
And the discount for "clean fuel" vehicles? Please. There are old Honda Civics that get 40 mpg, and they don't get this tax break. (Same with the HOV exemption allowing d-bags in their giant Escalade Hybrids to drive solo, while someone in a Geo Metro or Honda Del Sol has to find a rider.)
More good info...

VDOT CLEAN-PLATE QUALIFYING VEHICLES BY MODEL YEAR...

2012 -- Buick Lacross, Buick Regal, Ford Escape 2.5L, Ford Fusion 2.5L, Honda Civic 1.3L (auto-CVS trans.), Honda Civic 1.3L (manual), Honda CR-Z 1.5L, Honda Insight 1.3L, Infiniti M35h 3.5L, Lexus CT200h 1.8 L, Lexus HS250h 2.4L, Lexus RX 450h 3.5L, Lexus LS 600hL 5L, Lincoln MKZ 2.5L, Mercedes-Benz S400 3.5, Mercury MKZ 2.5L, Nissan Leaf, Tesla Roadster, Toyota Camry 2.5L, Toyota Highlander 3.5L, Toyota Prius 1.8L

2011 -- Ford Escape 2.5L, Ford Fusion 2.5L, Honda Civic 1.3L, (auto-CVS trans.), Honda CR-Z 1.5L, Honda Insight 1.3L, Hyundai Sonata 2.4L, Kia Optima 2.4L, Lexus CT200h 1.8L,Lexus HS250h 2.4L, Lexus GS450h 3.5L, Lexus RX450h 3.5L, Lexus LS 600hL 5L, Lincoln MKZ, Mazda Tribute 2.5L, Mercedes-Benz ML450 3.5, Mercedes-Benz S400 3.5, Mercury Mariner 2.5L, Mercury Milan 2.5L, Nissan Altima 2.5, Tesla Roadster, Toyota Camry 2.4L, Toyota Highlander 3.5L, Toyota Prius 1.8 L

2010 -- Ford Escape 2.5L, Ford Fusion 2.5L, Honda Civic 1.3L, Honda Insight 1.3L, Lexus GS450h 3.5L, Lexus HS250h 2.4L, Lexus RX450h 3.5L, Mazda Tribute 2.5L, Mercedes-Benz ML450, Mercedes-Benz S400, Mercury Mariner 2.5L, Mercury Milan 2.5L, Nissan Altima 2.5, Tesla Roadster, Toyota Camry 2.4L, Toyota Highlander 3.3L, Toyota Prius 1.8L

2009 -- Ford Escape, Honda Civic, Lexus GS450h, Lexus LS600h, Mazda Tribute, Mercury Mariner, Nissan Altima, Tesla Roadster, Toyota Camry, Toyota Camry Hybrid 2.4 L., Toyota Highlander, Toyota Prius

2008 -- Ford Escape, Honda Civic, Lexus GS450h, Lexus RX400h, Lexus LS600h, Mazda Tribute, Mercury Mariner, Nissan Altima 2.5, Tesla Roadster, Toyota Camry, Toyota Highlander, Toyota Prius

2007 -- Ford Escape, Honda Accord, Honda Civic, Lexus GS450h, Lexus RX400h, Mercury Mariner, Nissan Altima 2.5, Toyota Camry, Toyota Highlander, Toyota Prius

2006 -- Ford Escape, Honda Accord, Honda Civic, Honda Insight, Lexus RX400, Mazda Tribute, Mercury Mariner, Toyota Highlander, Toyota Prius

2005 -- Ford Escape, Honda Civic, Honda Insight, Toyota Prius

2004 -- Honda Civic, Honda Insight, Toyota Prius

2003 and Earlier -- Honda Civic, Honda Insight, Toyota Prius

No Escalades.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia