Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 07:11 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,728,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
While it would have been nice he was charged with speeding and not reckless.
Very true. 20 mph over the speed limit yet still another lunatic on the roads here in Virginia.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:34 PM

6 posts, read 11,216 times
Well then, sure a lot of help in this thread. I originally was to see if there were any users on here that would help me defend myself in breaking the law. Yes, I say "screw the law" and I like to find ways to beat the system, it's in my blood. But I see most people rather condemn me than help me get exonerated. Come on, where are all the other naughty outlaw citizens? :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
... I suspect OP gave the officer some lip...
stpickrell, I did not give the officer "some lip", your suspicion is wrong. I fully cooperated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I'd be careful with the "my first offense here" line. Didn't you say you had a reckless in VA eight years ago? That stays on your VA record for eleven years (whether you had a VA drivers license or not).
Good point. I won't say "my first offense" in court. I will be careful with my words. I will say that I'm a good driver, have no points on my license, and ask for leniency. If I'm asked about prior tickets, I will say "yes" without any details. If they bring up my old citations, I will admit to them and explain. No lies, but I also won't shoot myself in the foot. Like I said, worst case, I pay the fines and get points. But it wouldn't hurt to try to get things dismissed or reduced in the process. With the screwed up justice system in this country, anything can happen. You got Casey Anthony walking on killing her daughter, R.Kelly walking on lewd sex with minors, O.J. walked the first time on killing a couple folks, NFL player Donté Stallworth kills someone drunk driving on the beach and only does less than a month in jail, but Mike Vick kills some dogs and does 2 years.... Really???

Yes, I did get a misdemeanor for reckless some 7 or 8 years ago, you can see it online in the VA Court Case system records. But my questions is, if this is still on my "record", why does my new VA license not have any points on it? How exactly does it work when you get cited in other states, like VA, with out-of-state licenses, how do charges transfer or not transfer? Can anyone provide a link to a credible source on this?

Last edited by guy_from_internet; 11-30-2011 at 10:06 PM..

Old 12-01-2011, 05:25 AM

648 posts, read 1,334,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy_from_internet View Post
Yes, I say "screw the law" and I like to find ways to beat the system, it's in my blood.

It's in your blood?

Who are you, Billy the Kid?

Old 12-01-2011, 06:18 AM

10,125 posts, read 14,001,790 times
Quote:
Well then, sure a lot of help in this thread. I originally was to see if there were any users on here that would help me defend myself in breaking the law. Yes, I say "screw the law" and I like to find ways to beat the system, it's in my blood. But I see most people rather condemn me than help me get exonerated. Come on, where are all the other naughty outlaw citizens? :-)

stpickrell, I did not give the officer "some lip", your suspicion is wrong. I fully cooperated.

Good point. I won't say "my first offense" in court. I will be careful with my words. I will say that I'm a good driver, have no points on my license, and ask for leniency. If I'm asked about prior tickets, I will say "yes" without any details. If they bring up my old citations, I will admit to them and explain. No lies, but I also won't shoot myself in the foot. Like I said, worst case, I pay the fines and get points. But it wouldn't hurt to try to get things dismissed or reduced in the process. With the screwed up justice system in this country, anything can happen. You got Casey Anthony walking on killing her daughter, R.Kelly walking on lewd sex with minors, O.J. walked the first time on killing a couple folks, NFL player Donté Stallworth kills someone drunk driving on the beach and only does less than a month in jail, but Mike Vick kills some dogs and does 2 years.... Really???

Yes, I did get a misdemeanor for reckless some 7 or 8 years ago, you can see it online in the VA Court Case system records. But my questions is, if this is still on my "record", why does my new VA license not have any points on it? How exactly does it work when you get cited in other states, like VA, with out-of-state licenses, how do charges transfer or not transfer? Can anyone provide a link to a credible source on this?
And that's what I'm talking about. If I was a judge and you came and ask me for leniency it would appear to me like you don't see anything that you've done wrong and you are just trying to get off on a lighter sentence. In my opinion, I think it will only make you look worse. The best thing you can do is to take full responsibility for you actions and HOPE that they give you leniency. Asking for leniency in my opinion sounds as though you think you are entitled to it. I think most people issue with this thread is not what you did but how you are reacting to what you did. If you go in with the attitude that you've done nothing wrong and you should get off easy just because then I'm certain you will only anger them. Be smart, be humble, don't ask for anything and that is probably the best you can do at this point.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:29 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,686,074 times
Quote:
...Yes, I did get a misdemeanor for reckless some 7 or 8 years ago, you can see it online in the VA Court Case system records. But my questions is, if this is still on my "record", why does my new VA license not have any points on it? How exactly does it work when you get cited in other states, like VA, with out-of-state licenses, how do charges transfer or not transfer? Can anyone provide a link to a credible source on this?

"Points" only stay on your record for 2 years, although the citation itself remains for up to 11 years....that's why your new VA license has no points on it.

As far as being cited in another State....that's hit or miss. IF the other State reports the citation to VA...you get the points that violation carries in VA. Some States are very conscientious in this regard, others seldom or ever report back to out-of-state violator's home state. Curiously, Maryland, despite it's proximity, rarely if ever reports to VA. (this is assuming you pay the ticket...all the States will report to VA if you owe them money)

As far as celebrities getting a pass....Of course they do, they have the money for the best defense lawyers. Like my dad used to like to say, "There's no millionaires on death row!"

Old 12-02-2011, 04:11 PM

6,568 posts, read 8,416,918 times
Quote:
I've never had this type of problem in any other state except here, and I can't help but think my bright sports car has something to do with it.
Right...it has nothing to do with your excessive speeding, disregard for laws and need to beat the system.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:16 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,409,764 times
guy_from_internet

You're getting no love from this forum, you're getting a consensus. If you don't want to keep getting tickets, then obey the law. If you want to keep breaking the law, you will keep getting tickets and points until your license is suspended. Either move back out of Virginia or Man Up.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:04 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,189,238 times
My apologies to those who may have viewed some inappropriate posts by the OP on this and another thread, Concerns about their behavior have been noted and will be passed on to senior moderators. At this point, it's best to close the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia