Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2011, 05:21 PM

22 posts, read 62,766 times

Advertisements

I searched and have been doing my research (online, social services and even going in person) but I want to see if anyone can recommend a daycare in the 22030 and neighboring areas. We have a 14 month old and would like something full time, with the option for part time depending on our changing schedules.
We're not looking to spend Montessori money, but we know that good care and service comes at a cost.

Any suggestions?

So far some we have looked at are Happy Faces, KinderCare and Willowcreek.
If anyone can give us some insight to those it will be appreciated.

Also, are home daycare centers worthwhile?

Thanks!

P.S. for those who helped us with out banking choice, we went with PNC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 08:03 PM

1,449 posts, read 3,170,151 times
centers tend to make you pay fulltime even if you are only there part-time. It is hard to find any center that would allow for flexible schedules. I switched my daughter's daycare at 2.5 when my job situation changed and I only needed care a couple days a week - only a couple of the centers I contacted would allow for a part-time schedule at all. I got lucky and found one that was flexible with me on which days I brought her (my work days change from time to time), but this is NOT the norm. I had to pay the weekly rate no matter if I used the care or not.

I think home daycare may be the way for you to go. Or a nanny share situation.

Old 12-03-2011, 03:29 PM

22 posts, read 62,766 times
Although putting my kid in a daycare isn't fully reassuring, im not sure how I feel about them being at a complete strangers house (even though a daycare is practically the same thing).

Old 12-03-2011, 04:15 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,262,599 times
My son attended Willowcreek for 2 years and we were happy with the center. At least at the time, the woman that owns it paid better than a lot of other centers. Teachers tended to stay, were pursuing degrees in child development, etc

Old 12-03-2011, 05:11 PM

1,449 posts, read 3,170,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67chevy View Post
Although putting my kid in a daycare isn't fully reassuring, im not sure how I feel about them being at a complete strangers house (even though a daycare is practically the same thing).
we used home daycare for the first 2 years and used a woman we found through Infant Toddler Family Daycare. This is an interesting program because it is a network of home daycares run through a central office. The program provides training and does several visits a month to check in. I was a bit uncomfortable with centers for my infant, so I liked this program because it seemed to combine the good aspects of home and center care.

ITFDC - Infant Toddler Family Day Care

The providers get to decide their rules on hours of operation and whether or not they can take part-time kids and on what schedule, but if you find the right one, you may find a great situation for your family.

Although I still encourage you to think about a nanny share - they might be more accomodating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia