Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 01:50 PM

27 posts, read 56,780 times

Advertisements

Give me your time estimate to commute from either Reston or Burke to Union Station on public transit or slugging.

Husband works in Reston, but I would do the commuting to the city. We are considering moving closer to his work and like the housing options in these areas because of $$ and size.

Currently live near the Franconia-Springfield metro.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 01:56 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,948,267 times
From Burke you could take the VRE straight into Union Station. It would take 40-50 minutes on the train, depending on the station.

General Schedule Information - VRE

From Reston, you won't have public transit. There are some buses that run to the WFC metro I think, and from a quick google search the slug lines are in Herndon:

Herndon/Reston Slug Line

I have no idea how long that piece will take.

Old 12-05-2011, 03:28 PM

947 posts, read 1,402,626 times
You do in fact have public transportation options from Reston to Union Station, but they are not direct and would involve three separate segments:

A. Fairfax Connector bus from Reston to West Falls Church. Assume five minute wait time and 20 to 25 minutes of actual commute, depending on how screwed up the Airport/Toll Road is that day.

B. Orange Line from WFC to Metro Center is 25 minutes.

C. Transfer at Metro Center to Red Line two stops to Union Station. Assume 10 minutes.

So, not counting your time from home to the bus stop, and from Union Station to your office, you'd easily need an hour or so.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:25 PM

Does anyone take the 5A bus to Rosslyn? Or slug from the Herndon/Monroe Park and Ride? How long does it take?

Old 12-05-2011, 07:12 PM

1,449 posts, read 3,172,074 times
to union station, definitely pick somewhere on the VRE line. Have you considered Lorton area? I just know I go to Lorton a couple times a week and Burke is REALLY close by car. There are parts of Fairfax that might also be a fairly easy commute to the Burke VRE station for you.

I loved Reston, but I hated the days I had to go downtown for work. This may change when the silver line is completed, but as of now, the bus to train to downtown is a pain in the rear. I commuted from Reston to Ballston for almost 5 years, and THAT took almost an hour door to door.

Old 12-06-2011, 05:13 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,248,494 times
I comute from the South Lakes area of Reston to Federal Triangle and make it door to door in about 65 minutes via the Fairfax Connector 551 bus to Metro at West Falls Church. My guess is Union Station would take 70 to 75 minutes.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:25 PM

Thank you for the estimate.

Lorton wouldn't make sense b/c husband HAS to commute to Reston daily. Lorton would only make it further for him and further for me as we are already near the Franconia/395/Springfield mixing bowl. The goal would be to move closer to REston for him and still find a commute to Union Station that is an hour or less. Sounds like it won't happen if we live in Reston (although his commute would be minutes). Burke? Still don't have an estimate on train VRE commuting times --- anyone???
Or slugging from Reston/Herdon Monroe or slugging from Rolling Valley?

Old 12-06-2011, 07:46 PM

1,449 posts, read 3,172,074 times
sorry, I got confused. I thought he worked in Burke - I read it too fast. I wouldn't have suggested Lorton otherwise.

Burke probably is your best option until the metro shows up in Reston. I have a feeling the metro will shave some time off the commute to downtown, but that is a couple years off right now.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:07 PM

71 posts, read 204,085 times
Go to VRE.ORG

Burke Centre Station to Union Station ~40 minutes
Rolling Rd. Station to Union Station ~35 minutes

Old 12-06-2011, 08:12 PM

560 posts, read 1,292,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by researchqueen02 View Post
Thank you for the estimate.

Lorton wouldn't make sense b/c husband HAS to commute to Reston daily. Lorton would only make it further for him and further for me as we are already near the Franconia/395/Springfield mixing bowl. The goal would be to move closer to REston for him and still find a commute to Union Station that is an hour or less. Sounds like it won't happen if we live in Reston (although his commute would be minutes). Burke? Still don't have an estimate on train VRE commuting times --- anyone???
Or slugging from Reston/Herdon Monroe or slugging from Rolling Valley?

From the WMATA Trip Planner-

WMATA - Rider Tools - Trip Planner

BURKE CENTRE VRE STATION
at 7:05am

Board
VRE MANASSAS LINE TRAIN
towards MANASSAS LINE NORTH

Arrive
»UNION STATION VRE
at 7:55am

RE Reston, takes me about an hour (on a good day) from Reston to Smithsonian station using bus/rail combo-

North County Route Schedules and Maps*- Fairfax County, Virginia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia