Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 08:18 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,517,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
While I do agree with the above (and the Wine Kitchen's cheese plate might be one of the best dished in the area), my favorite Leesburg joint is La Lou Bistro. It's a tiny, totally unpretentious, meditteranean place a few doors down from the Tally Ho. The owner (who was also our chef and waiter) absolutely wants you to enjoy the food and have a great experience. We certainly did.
Add me to that list. I went there for lunch one day and it was as if I had been transported elsewhere, simply amazing.

We'll see if the place that's replaced the Green Tree is any good or not next week, I imagine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 12:30 PM

298 posts, read 681,056 times
I am a big fan of L'Auberge Chez Francois and have been there many times. I'm not a big "foodie." In fact, I hate that word and people who call themselves "foodies" usually annoy me. But with that rant out of the way, L'Auberge is probably my favorite restaurant in NoVA.

The two that intrigue me are 2491 and Ashby Inn & Restaurant. I have not been to either.

For 2491, I had not even heard of this restaurant. Is it still a good place to go? I ask because of weezycom's note saying the dining room is under renovations and the restaurant is "changing direction." I find it a slight turn-off when great restaurants are located in hotels (like Michel) or office parks (like 2491), but if it is worth it, I'll give it a try.

The restaurant at Ashby Inn is more the ambiance I prefer, which is why it also intrigues me. Has anyone eaten there? I've been to the Inn at Little Washington a few times, and liked it, but it's more of a hike than Ashby Inn.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:57 PM

738 posts, read 2,957,854 times
I'll be honest - I wasn't overly impressed with 2941 when we ate there. I don't say it too often because a lot of people recommend it on this site, but it just didn't quite do it for me. When I eat at restaurants of that caliber, I typically expect at least one bite to make me stop, and just go "wow" as I'm eating it. Everything was solid and good, no bad courses during our meal, but it just didn't have that signature course that sticks out in my memory. Their drinks were very tasty though, and they even had a house-made bourbon that I enjoyed a lot.

You mentioned that you had eaten at Inn at Little Washington - it's currently a bit more modern/contemporary in the dining room, and the food is more Parisian as opposed to the Inn being more provence/french country style. Closest comparison I can think of, but I'd put 2941 a solid star below the Inn.

There changes are that they're working on making the restaurant a bit more casual, I believe. It's a new wave of haute cuisine that started in Paris and is rippling it's way across the rest of the glove in that restaurants are trying to become more casual so that more people are able to enjoy high caliber meals. Here's an article:
2941 scheduled for a makeover - Going Out Gurus - The Washington Post

Old 12-08-2011, 07:55 PM

264 posts, read 855,038 times
I've been to a few of these and my opinion is as follows:
- Bazin's- overrated, over priced and not that good- I guess top 50 might be applicable but I live within 1 mile from this place and gave it 3 chances before just saying NO
- Carlyle- was really good a few years back- now too noisy for my taste- don't like the atmosphere for the upper dining area- kind of sterile
- Harth- going soon
- Jaleo- I am a Spaniard so I like what Jose Andres tries to do but it's americanized for a few things- so- not my top- this is for the dc place though- haven;t been to arlington- if I take a group of friends they like it and some items are a hit (the misses I notice more being a Spaniard)
-L'Auberge chez francois- very good- it is old school in presentation and decor.. service outstanding
- Lebanese Taverna- love their hummus special and schwarma (sp?) really good
-Majestic is fantastic- kinda cozy but we had a great culinary experience the one time we went there
-Passion Fish- wow- I LOVE their menu - so interesting with all types of seafood preparation- we went there with friends when it first opened and all loved the food
- Sea Pearl- love the bar more than the restaurant- great place to hang out with friends and happy hour specials are good (great atmosphere)

-Tachibana- touted as the best sushi especially in Nova/Mclean- it was good- kinda traditional- don't recall the price etc.

Just my opinion..

Old 12-09-2011, 09:36 AM

298 posts, read 681,056 times
Thanks, GoHokiesGo! I looked at the article you linked, and think I'll check out 2941 after the renovations.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:29 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,232,888 times
The ones I've been to, from both lists:

Carlyle - Ok, nothing to really write home about, and very noisy. I've been for brunch back when it opened, and lunch several times in more recent years. I didn't really understand why people raved about it.
Eve - very nice dining experience, expensive, but I thought the food was just 'ok' and I thought the cocktail was the best part of the night.
Rustico - good pizzas though smallish, good beers.
Lebanese Taverna, Pentagon Row. Very good.
O'Connell's - Just had a light dinner, the Irish bacon and cabbage, and while nothing fancy, it was very very good.
Duangrat's - long, long ago. It's consistently been in "best-of" lists.
La Bergerie - wonderful!

The ones I most want to go to (that I haven't yet) are Serbian Crown and Mokomandy.

Last edited by robbobobbo; 12-09-2011 at 10:40 AM..

Old 12-09-2011, 10:37 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,232,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I had considered checking out The Majestic recently but after taking a closer look at the menu, I realized there wasn't much I would particularly like. Others' mileage may vary, of course.
I'm the same - I walk by The Majestic often, and the menu has never really drawn me in. Not that I dislike the selections, but that they seem rather ordinary. Meat loaf? Pork chops? Maybe they are prepared in really delicious ways, I don't know yet.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:01 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,485,000 times
Glad to see Sea Pearl get a nod. Never been disappointed there. Very nice ingredients, and they always seem to do something interesting with them. And if you don't feel like venturing quite so far DC-ward for arancini, try them at Ozzie's Corner Italian in Fairfax Corner. Quite good once they cool down a bit. Meanwhile, Nothing Compares 2 U when U = The Inn at Little Washington. It's in league of its own. Better than an hour's drive each way from most of NoVa and it will set you back about $250 per person plus gratuity, but nobody ever complains about either one after dining there. A lot of dining of course has to do with what mood you're in. There are plenty of times when the 29 Diner, the Vienna Inn, or Linda's Cafe leave all the others in the dust!

Old 01-03-2012, 12:10 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,698,985 times
Would you guys recommend any of these places on the list:

Lebanese Taverna, Rustico, Ray's the Steaks, Yechon and Hank's Oyster Bar

Thanks.

Old 01-03-2012, 12:15 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,567,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Would you guys recommend any of these places on the list:

Lebanese Taverna, Rustico, Ray's the Steaks, Yechon and Hank's Oyster Bar

Thanks.

Ive been to the lebanese taverna at both old and new locations in old town, and liked it very much. I wish I remembered my most recent visit to say if its holding up, but I dont.

Yechon ALWAYS has a full parking lot. Personally I dont find it stands out as much over the other korean places here as some people think - that may be to my own personal situation - as part of a weight loss/cholesterol reduction effort, I dont eat endless barbecue anymore - so when I go to a place like Yechons i either get regular korean entrees, which I find I just dont like always like all that much, or I get sushi. My wife who likes the korean stuff more than I, likes it a lot. And the atmosphere is nice. If you are interested in Korean bbq, I would give it a try.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia