Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 02:38 PM
EPS EPS started this thread

6 posts, read 29,855 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My wife and daughter (not yet pre-school) just moved close to the Huntington metro off the yellow line, Jefferson Manor. I've read that my public school options arent great, Mount Eagle, Edison, Twain.

The idea of having an address in "Alexandria" and being in Fairfax county is a bit confusing to me. Can I opt to send my child to an Alexandria City public school? Or must I send her to a Fairfax county school?

My wife is a stay at home mom right now and I would like to not have the expense of sending my daughter to private school, and would like to know if I need to start saving more for that. Regardless its nice to have a little yard and a little more elbow room.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,
EPS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 03:37 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,749,718 times
quite a few people have a Vienna address, but live in the County, too. Not uncommon. You are looking for "open enrollment," but I don't think your kid could attend APS.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:49 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,655,612 times
You're in Fairfax County so you'll need to enroll your child in Fairfax County. Students can sometimes go out-of-county but would need to pay that county. (Incidentally, I've heard there are more Alexandria addresses in Fairfax County than in Alexandria City -- does anyone know if that's correct?)

Old 12-06-2011, 03:56 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,899,395 times
You must send her to the boundary school for your home (in FFX County), unless you successfully get her into one of the special programs, like language immersion or the arts schools. Eventually, if she tests into GT/AAP, she may have the option of attending a "center" school.

World Languages: Immersion Programs
FCPS - Elementary Magnet Schools

Yankee's fan is correct that you can sometimes enroll in an alternate county/city if you pay for it, but the cost is often more than private school would cost anyway.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:07 PM

Thanks for the info.
My wife and I are both artists who make our living as such and are very interested in sending her to a school where the arts are not marginalized-My wife went to academic magnet and really had a good experience there.

Last edited by EPS; 12-06-2011 at 04:19 PM..

Old 12-06-2011, 05:00 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,040,844 times
FYI - There are two arts elementary school magnets in Fairfax County - Hunters Woods in Reston and Bailey's in Falls Church/Bailey's Crossroads. CaliTerp07 provided the link to information about their programs. Neither is super close to Huntingdon, though Bailey's is not too far away.

FCPS - Elementary Magnet Schools

Old 12-06-2011, 06:15 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,116,672 times
I doubt you'll find much difference at any of the Fairfax County schools regarding art programs other than one school may happen to have a more talented teacher. The curriculum is pretty standard. Howver, you can apply for a transfer to a different school if you like and it will more likely be granted if it's underenrolled. You could check out West Potomac and the schools that feed it (like Sandburg M.S.).

Old 12-06-2011, 07:06 PM

9,762 posts, read 15,692,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
I doubt you'll find much difference at any of the Fairfax County schools regarding art programs other than one school may happen to have a more talented teacher. The curriculum is pretty standard. Howver, you can apply for a transfer to a different school if you like and it will more likely be granted if it's underenrolled. You could check out West Potomac and the schools that feed it (like Sandburg M.S.).
Well, that's not exactly true. Some schools have special arts (or other) programs. For example, Mosby Woods Elementary is a CETA (Center Education Through the Arts) school partnered with the Kennedy Center. This means they have more emphasis on the art integration than other schools. I had the opportunity to tour Mosby Woods last year and was impressed by their arts program and the artwork decorating the school. http://www.kennedy-center.org/education/ceta/
I know they also start their music program earlier than other elementary schools (3rd grade strings and 4th grade woodwinds/brass).

OP, if you look through the elementary school profiles on FCPS.edu, you can see what special programs a particular school offers. (Unfortunately, there are 100+ elementary schools in FCPS). I'm sure Mosby Woods isn't the only one that has a special arts program.

The school my child goes to does not have the CETA program but our PTA sponsors something called ArtSmart which is a program where once per month a "docent" (parent volunteer) comes into the classroom to teach the class about a particular artist. Each class in every grade learns about the same artist per month. This month both my 1st and 4th grader learned about Van Gogh - some history about him, his artistic style, and then they get a chance to try to draw something in his style. Over the past 5 years, my older child has learned a lot about artists this way. And I always enjoy seeing the ArtSmart displays at our school. Not every school has this PTA program. My friend's elementary school up the street does not do this. So while each school in FCPS is theoretically created to be equal, some schools are more equal than others.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:13 AM

89 posts, read 273,729 times
the area that you're in has some of the lower performing schools in Fairfax Co (albeit that Fairfax Co has one of the better public schools in the country). At Mt. Eagle she'll still have the excellent teachers, but it may not be on the level that you'd like. You can't enroll her in an Alexandria City school, however, when I was in school, there were students who were able to transfer school provided a program that your home school does not. For instance, Ft. Hunt Elementary is a really good school and some of my friends went there for the Spanish-immersion program. And my brother went to Stratford Landing (probably the best elementary school on the Route 1 corridor) for their Gifted and Talented program...

Old 12-07-2011, 06:50 AM

Great info. The CETA schools look like great options to look at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia