Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 04:04 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,918,965 times

Advertisements

Marshall HS has an International Baccalaurate program. Fairfax County deliberately puts the IB program into schools with a significant population of low-income and/or ESL students, in order to retain high-achieving (usually white or Asian and higher income) students, and to attract such students from other local high schools, who are permitted to transfer from their home school to enroll in the IB program.
Marshall HS serves some of the lower-income portions of Fairfax County, including the Pimmit Hills neighborhood and apartment complexes with many immigrant children. Marshall also serves middle and upper-middle class neighborhoods. Keep in mind that the average SAT scores reported on its website include the scores from the IB students, who tend to test well. Marshall has a very highly-regarded theater program, but, apart from that and the IB program, it's not usually on the "highly sought-after schools" list for most families who could afford to live in the Langley, McLean, Madison, etc. pyramids.
I know a French family from the McLean pyramid who enrolled their son in the IB program at Marshall with positive results. I also know an Australian woman who was so dismayed with her son's experience at the school that she sent him to board in Australia after his first year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 04:08 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtova View Post
MARSHALL High School in Falls Church has great reviews on greatschools.net. Should it be considered in the same class as the others previously mentioned or not?
Traditionally, Marshall has not been considered as belonging in the same group with the schools previously mentioned. For many years it served a more downscale community and had more fights and other typical disciplinary problems, as well as somewhat lower academic records. There was also a gang-related broad-daylight murder in the school parking lot in 1998 which did the school's reputation little good. Most of that has changed of late, and today the school is certainly good, probably better than average, but the school's mentioned earlier have been consistently well above average, being some of the best of what is in any case a top notch lot, this despite the intrusion of NCLB, and that's really the best word for it to my mind. Fairfax County now officially ranks as having the highest median household income of any of the nation's 3,000+ counties, and its school system has long benefitted from the support that such wealth makes possible. FCPS is one of the strongest public systems in the country and most of its schools are very good. The ones so far mentioned are all at or near the top of the list. Marshall isn't quite in that territory yet...

Old 08-29-2007, 05:24 PM

28 posts, read 98,367 times
Wow - This forum is so helpful. Thank you for all of the wonderful information.

Last edited by movingtova; 08-29-2007 at 06:19 PM..

Old 08-29-2007, 05:57 PM

What's up with the George Mason High pyramid - Mount Daniel grades K-1, Jefferson grades 2-4, etc. Neither Mount Daniel Elementary nor M.E. Henderson have any parent feedback whatsoever on Greatschools, and these schools don't have profiles on the Fairfax County Public School site. Are they part of the system? Any Falls Church parents with info out there?

Also, what are the "clusters?"

Last edited by movingtova; 08-29-2007 at 06:18 PM..

Old 08-29-2007, 06:46 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
Clusters are groups of three pyramids.

Falls Church City Public Schools are independant of Fairfax County Public Schools.

Old 08-29-2007, 06:51 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,918,965 times
The City of Falls Church has its own, very highly-regarded, school system. The schools you mention are part of the City school system. Many families move into Falls Church because of the schools, paying dearly for what are often pretty small, older (but usually quite charming) houses. Don't read too much into the lack of reviews on the greatschools website. Most people have never heard of it, unless they are researching schools in connection with a potential move. George Mason typically reports some of the highest test scores in Northern Virginia, which is not surprising considering the very small low-income population in that school, and its relatively small size. One downside is that middle school covers grades 5-7 and is located in a facility next to the high school (which covers grades 8-12). Another weird thing is that several of the schools, such as Mt. Daniel and George Mason itself, are actually located in Fairfax County, which means that the kids who live next door to Mt. Daniel ride a bus several miles away to Haycock Elementary School , while a Falls Church City bus brings other kids to Mt. Daniel.
George Mason can't offer quite as many opportunities as does Fairfax County; for example, Fairfax offers special language "immersion" programs in selected elementary, middle and high schools. But most parents seem very happy with the Falls Church schools.

Last edited by claremarie; 08-29-2007 at 06:58 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 08-29-2007, 07:07 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
<car54> is correct. Falls Church proper is an incorporated city within Fairfax County, and thus has the right (which it has exercised) to run its own school system. It is small, but excellent. Here is a link to their website...

Campuses of the Falls Church City Public Schools

It really helps to be a resident of actual Falls Church if you wish to attend these schools. They do accept (on a school-by-school basis) a limited number of out-of-city residents, but you will pay tuition since you didn't pay any of the taxes. Becoming a resident of actual Falls Church can be difficult, as the city proper is very small, and the housing is very expensive. Keep in mind also that most of the housing is both older and smaller than what is found in typical developments put up in the last 15 years or so. Some people find this a plus, some find it a minus. If Falls church is up your alley though, it is a wonderful place to live...

Old 08-30-2007, 07:14 AM

352 posts, read 1,591,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
Marshall HS has an International Baccalaurate program. Fairfax County deliberately puts the IB program into schools with a significant population of low-income and/or ESL students, in order to retain high-achieving (usually white or Asian and higher income) students, and to attract such students from other local high schools, who are permitted to transfer from their home school to enroll in the IB program.
Marshall HS serves some of the lower-income portions of Fairfax County, including the Pimmit Hills neighborhood and apartment complexes with many immigrant children. Marshall also serves middle and upper-middle class neighborhoods. Keep in mind that the average SAT scores reported on its website include the scores from the IB students, who tend to test well. Marshall has a very highly-regarded theater program, but, apart from that and the IB program, it's not usually on the "highly sought-after schools" list for most families who could afford to live in the Langley, McLean, Madison, etc. pyramids.
I know a French family from the McLean pyramid who enrolled their son in the IB program at Marshall with positive results. I also know an Australian woman who was so dismayed with her son's experience at the school that she sent him to board in Australia after his first year.
FYI, Prince William County has apparently done the same thing with its IB program - Stonewall Jackson HS is being propped up (rather well, I might add) by its IB program, where the school reputation would have suffered significiantly had it not been placed there.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,749 times

I lived in Northern Virginia for 20 years. I recently relocated, but not because I didn't love it there...I do! And one day, I will go back. I graduated from Oakton High School. It is the public high school for Oakton, and it is an excellent school. It has great academic and sports programs. The students definitely have "Cougar Pride." Oakton is a great place to live. It is very expensive, and it can be very congested during morning and evening rush hours. However, this will be the story for anywhere you might move in Northern Virginia. I do suggest checking into the boundaries. When I went to Oakton HS, the Franklin Farms Community in Herndon although some distance away, also went to Oakton HS. Franklin Farms is actually a nice area to live, and it is not far from Fair Oaks Mall. Vienna is a nice place to live, but I would prefer my children go to Madison over Marshall if we lived in Vienna. Also keep in mind, if you live east of your husband's job, assuming he works a 9-5 type day, he will be going against DC traffic both morning and evening....this is a huge factor to consider. Oakton and Fairfax are both great places to live with excellent schools. Loudoun County is also a wonderful place to live with some incredible schools. Loudoun County has grown at such a rapid rate over the last 10 years, that it also has the greatest amount of new schools in the Northern VA area. Sterling/ Potomac Falls is a beautiful area to live (stay on the north side of Route 7). There are many great communities with endless activities. Countryside, Cascades, and Lowes Island are all great communities. I would steer clear of the Sugarland area though. Algonkian, Countryside, Horizon, and Lowes Island Elementary schools, River Bend Middle and Potomac Falls High and Dominion High are all excellent schools in eastern Loudoun County. Ashburn is also an excellent area to live in with wonderful new schools. When I move back to NOVA, it will definitely be to Loudoun County. Everything you need is within a 5 mile radius. There is Walmart, Target, Costo, Sams Club, Dulles Town Center Mall, Regal Cinemas...endless shopping and restaurants. For the type of schools and community you desire, I think you would be really happy in Eastern Loudoun County. Plus, you'll be more likely to get more house for your money than in Oakton. Good luck!

Old 08-31-2007, 07:49 AM

Loudoun County sounds interesting and so tempting, but it seems that the other posters thought it would be an inconvenient commute for us (to western Fairfax right off of the 66). With the traffic being so bad, we ruled it out. Wise?

We're concentrating on the Vienna, Falls Church, Oakton area -looking at homes in the best school pyramids. Slim pickings- but there are a few options. We might start out in a rental.

Vienna is at the top of my list, but Oakton is just so darn close to work. i like a pretty urban feel. (Trader Joes within 5 minutes would be my preference ) Are these cities similar in that way?

If we go to Oakton, we're zeroing in on Waples Mill as the elementary. Any Waples parents who can rate the kindergarten program?

Other "holy grail" schools for us -Kent Gardens, Haycock, Cunningham Park, Wolftrap, Archer

We might have to add Fairfax and Burke to our list to see what possibilities that opens up, but we'd rather not. That's just our impression. Is that right?

Keep reading that Western Springfield High (?) is a good one - worth considering? Should I add it to my previous list of high schools or not?

And finally, a question about the Fairfax Parks & Rec - are the community programs (classes etc.) easily accessible to residents in pretty much all ciites of the county, or are there certain cities that don't have facilities to participate? It was mentioned that Falls Church has it's own school district. Does the city have access to the Park & Rec ammenities?

Last edited by movingtova; 08-31-2007 at 08:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia