Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 03:37 AM

511 posts, read 2,450,598 times

Advertisements

When I moved to Fairfax 25 years ago, most of my neighbors were white. Yes there was more ethnic diversity than back in Minnesota, but at much lower levels than today. Now in the year, 2011 MOST people I see at Tysons Corner, Fair Oaks Mall, a number of grocery stores I shop at, and in other public places, seem to be an ethnic minority. I hear so many different languages being spoken and so few blonds- like back in Minnesota.

I don't want this thread to be a discussion of the pros and cons of ethnic diversity in Northern VA, but instead an analysis of population demographics, observations and trends in the area. I would like to know what happened to the white people who used to fill the public places in Fairfax County!

Our Congressman Gerald Connelly, was talking about the changes in demographics in Northern VA and reported an interesting observation. He said that while a majority of people in the County were officially white, a good half of the white people in Fairfax County are actually immigrants from places like the Middle East, North Africa and Latin America who designate themselves white in the census. These people are much different ethnically and culturally than the white people found in most of America and have a different history and perspective than the typical 6th Generation American found in a place like Minnesota, Oklahoma or Kentucky.

Here in Fairfax County VA, I would guess only a third of the people can link their background to Western Europe. It is just so different here.

What happened to all the White People who used to be my friends, neighbors and coworkers years ago in a more demographically and culturally homogeneous Northern VA 25 years ago?

Old 12-09-2011, 04:17 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,194,922 times
The problem is that anyone with half a brain cell can't define "white" so we don't bother; the government actually has, after about a century or so of stupidity, finally realized that and is now allowing "multi-ethnic" on those forms where the stupid "race" designation is still mentioned.

BTW, there are other forums, not city-data, where stupidity can be discussed - why don't you take this thread there?

Old 12-09-2011, 04:40 AM

1,570 posts, read 4,617,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
What happened to all the White People who used to be my friends, neighbors and coworkers years ago in a more demographically and culturally homogeneous Northern VA 25 years ago?
They are still here.. BUT we are now lucky to be embraced with many cultures and ethnic backgrounds around us. Personally I think it is awesome.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:56 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,077,481 times
I don't see how the actual number of ANY group could have gone down, considering the population has been exploding in the last 25 years.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:06 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,801,824 times
They're probably the ones moving to Loudon County, and other counties outside of Fairfax.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:26 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,465,994 times
Quote:
If those White People were your friends, neighbors and coworkers and have intentionally decided to avoid you, it might be something to do with you as a person, and not necessarily with the multi-ethnic make-up of this area. Whether you like it or not, you are coming across as a xenophobe in your post.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:28 AM

2,032 posts, read 6,888,604 times
Over 40% of the population growth in Virginia during the last decade came from just 3 counties in NoVa, Fairfax, Prince William & Loudon.
Most of this growth was from Latins, Asians and African Americans who are moving into the suburbs, away from the City, plus higher non white birth rates.
I believe the impact of the population shifts will change Virginias' political landscape in the future with NoVas' exploding numbers.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:52 AM

511 posts, read 2,450,598 times
Just as I suspected, many of the replies were from people who thought my post was racist or want to promote how wonderful all the ethnic diversity is in Northern VA. That is not my question!

I want to know what happened to the white people who used to dominate Fairfax County. Are they still here, or has the huge increase in ethnic minorities and immigrants caused a white flight of these old fashioned Americans to more traditional places like the rest of VA, NC, Tennessee, or Ohio where most people are just regular folks.

What is the population of non immigrant white people in Northern VA in comparison to 25 years ago?

* There is lots of interesting discussions on "white flight" from Southern CA on the California boards. Can't we have a rational discussion of the topic on the NVA City Data Board?

Old 12-09-2011, 06:20 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,981,396 times
This article was written a few weeks ago and will give you a clearer answer:
Census: The new U.S. neighborhood defined by diversity as all-white enclaves vanish - The Washington Post

Quote:
The biggest drop has been in Northern Virginia, where only one in 20 neighborhoods is a racial or ethnic enclave. No suburb is more diverse than Fairfax County, where just 2 percent of neighborhoods are segregated.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:45 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,194,922 times
Quote:
Can't we have a rational discussion of the topic on the NVA City Data Board?
Of course not.

That's a serious answer.

There -literally- is nothing rational about race designations and those preoccupied with same OBVIOUSLY aren't thinking past their nose.

Moderator Cut

Last edited by FindingZen; 12-09-2011 at 12:33 PM.. Reason: personal attack
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia