Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2011, 03:58 AM

259 posts, read 511,410 times

Advertisements

Question to anyone in here who may answer, or at least can provide some anecdotal insight about Gov't job transfers. I am a federal employee here in the Washington/Maryland/Virgina area (though currently somewhere in Central Asia) and my future wife works Fed Gov't in Texas. We both decided that due to my career trajectory that it would be best she transferred to DC. My question is...how hard is it to transfer from one gov't position to another and have you heard of any instances of that happening? She works for the Veterans Administration BTW.

Brutal honesty is accepted BTW. I already know the only way to find out is to go through the process, but it would be interesting to hear some feedback whether good or bad. Thank you guys in advance. Now slam me with some bad news .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 05:18 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,710,280 times
What kind of transfer to you mean? Are you talking about PCS transfers with expenses paid or just how easy is it getting another job?

Old 12-11-2011, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
What kind of transfer to you mean? Are you talking about PCS transfers with expenses paid or just how easy is it getting another job?
Hello ChristineVA,

I am referring to how challenging is it usually to get another gov't via transfer. Like she works at a VA in Texas, is it usually hard to transfer to the VA's in the DC area. With the budget being the way it is we are in no way expecting any relocation funds. Also is it usually challenging to switch to a different agency altogether?

I am also going to try to get her in the backdoor to my agency. That seems to have worked for a few of my coworker's friends/family...even when their friends work history wasn't directly related to the function of the agency.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:48 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,115,326 times
I first came to this area on a govt transfer. I worked for the DOD in a different state but found another position with a different fed agency (I applied on my own and got selected) in Washington, DC. The new job was in a different series.

The transfer process was quite easy. My end date was with the old org and my start date began with the new org -- seamless, so there was no lapse in time as being a fed worker.

The new org paid for my moving expenses, gas, tolls, etc. but not temporary housing.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:49 AM

948 posts, read 1,407,747 times
I can't answer for your and your wife's specific agencies, but to judge from the time I spent working at the State Department, I think that as current federal employees you have a leg up on transferring between agencies since you already have gone through all the paperwork and presumably have a security clearance/background check of some sort. The pool of eligible candidates for job vacancies at State, for example, seemed to fall within one of three circles: open to existing State employees, open to all USG employees, and open to all applicants, including non-USG employees. I'm not sure if that's the case at other federal agencies, though. In my time at State a few years ago, we had one IT manager type from my bureau actually go from State to the VA, where his wife already worked.

Bottom line: if your wife is qualified for an open job and a sought-after candidate for it, I don't think it would be too much of a hurdle to move between agencies. Good luck, and hope you're doing OK in the 'stans.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:55 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,710,280 times
Transfer can be easy.

We just had a lady transfer out of our office (DC) down to Indian Head. Since it was the same series and there was no promotion for her, it was considered a management reassignment and it happened very quickly. She had worked with them occasionally so they had approached her for a job. There was no advertisement for the position and no need for her to formall apply.

So, if your wife knows someone at the VA in DC, it could be just that easy. If not, she would have to search positions and apply. She should have access to ALL open positions in the VA since she is a member of that agency so that is good. If someone picks her for that position, the "hiring" should go very quickly.

Does she feel safe enough to discuss this move with her superiors who may be willing to help her land something at another agency? My niece, who works for the Navy here in DC is getting married and her supervisor told her that he would help her getting another "Navy" job anywhere in the country.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:11 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,115,326 times
It may be easier to make a "laterl" move, meaning if she comes in the same series, same grade, etc. instead of a position at a higher grade/more money. However, we have locality pay here due to the higher cost of living so she may make more money here in the same grade than in TX (even though I see Dallas-Ft Worth on the list):

http://www.opm.gov/oca/11tables/indexgs.asp

Old 12-11-2011, 09:20 AM

560 posts, read 1,295,704 times
Found my transfer through USAJOBS.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:43 AM

1,261 posts, read 6,114,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
It may be easier to make a "laterl" move, meaning if she comes in the same series, same grade, etc. instead of a position at a higher grade/more money. [/url]
This is correct--the easiest way would be to do a lateral transfer to a position at the same grade level and with the same career ladder within the series. Depending on her line of work, she may also consider positions in the "general series" (e.g., 300 series). If she has status, she can be considered non-competitively for any vacancy if she meets the qualification requirements. Obviously, one thing that would make things easier is willing to pay for her own relocation. If she expects help with relocation costs, it not only takes longer, but she would be at a disadvantage when competing with equally qualified candidates who are local. Good luck.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:55 PM

ChristineVA, South Jersey Styx,ICS67, Lucky★, mlv311, and to the person who PM'ed me... thank you all for the valuable information that you have provided to me. I know there are no guarantees, but it seems like there is more than a slight possibility that we'll be able to pull this off.

We are getting married right after I get back in January. We have both been defense contractors before going Govt, and that was an option we talked about for her, but ultimately we decided that living frugal with two Govt salaries would be better for us in the long run than her going for the money upfront as a contractor. Not that there is anything wrong with contracting. Guess it's a personal choice.

Anyway, thanks again guys, your information will be utilized. I promise to keep you guys posted.

ICS67, I appreciate your well wishes. I look forward to getting back to our great Country...'Merica!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia