Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 07:52 AM

8,635 posts, read 9,147,998 times

Advertisements

I switched to NASA Federal Credit Union from Sun Trust. Wells Fargo owns my mortgage and I must say they are the worst I've ever dealt with. I will dumb them as soon as I can. It is sad to see these crooks setting up shop all over FFC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 10:48 AM

906 posts, read 1,811,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
([i]EDIT: Middleburg Bank is no. 3, and B&H is no. 4.
Both Middleburg Bank and Burke&Herbert are outstanding, although they seem to be more for wealthy people. I read somewhere that during B&H's early days, nobody had an account number because they knew all their customers so well. I believe they still offer no-fee atm services at any atm in the country, but you'd have to check to see if they still offer that.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:57 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,730,971 times
Thanks for these additional replies. I just called WF today, and the person I talked to had no idea what e-mail I was referring to. It's definitely from them; it sends me to this link, which is an extension of the WF secure website and doesn't ask for personal info: https://www.wellsfargo.com/wfonline/updates

(The stuff about transfers is buried at the bottom.)

I ended up talking to three different people who couldn't answer my question and finally hung up when I'd been put on hold again for several minutes.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:15 PM

429 posts, read 1,163,063 times
If you can qualify for membership on your own or through a family member, I've had nothing but good experiences with USAA. They handle my mortgage, all my insurance, and my investments. I still do most of my day-to-day banking through the State Department Credit Union which is small, but very good about the issues that members face when overseas.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:06 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,682,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
...I read somewhere that during B&H's early days, nobody had an account number because they knew all their customers so well...

Burke & Herbert did not have account numbers for 120some years....not until 1978. That is when they installed their first computer system...which required account numbers.

My dad (a developer) was close friends with the Burke family, so my first kiddie savings account was with B&H. I still have accounts there 50+ years later.

I still remember the letter they sent out explaining the new account numbers....it went something like "You will notice some numbers printed on the bottom of your checks. Do not be alarmed. They do not mean any thing to you and they do not mean anything to us, but the people at Safeway will not cash your checks without them."

Ever wonder why B&H's logo is a green parrot? A green parrot perched on B&H president Taylor Burke's shoulder in his office for many years. He would walk around the bank with it (I forget it's name!) to the delight of all, especially kids. What a character he was!

Old 12-15-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
If you can qualify for membership on your own or through a family member, I've had nothing but good experiences with USAA. They handle my mortgage, all my insurance, and my investments. I still do most of my day-to-day banking through the State Department Credit Union which is small, but very good about the issues that members face when overseas.

I'm pretty sure that USAA banking services are open to all. It's the insurance services that require membership.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:17 PM

TD Bank might be a good choice. TD stands for Toronto-Dominion so it is a Canadian bank which are very conservative. I've heard Canadians joke that they'll only loan you money if you don't need it...LOL

Old 12-15-2011, 05:30 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,730,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
TD Bank might be a good choice. TD stands for Toronto-Dominion so it is a Canadian bank which are very conservative. I've heard Canadians joke that they'll only loan you money if you don't need it...LOL
Indeed--their ATMs ask you "You'd like to withdraw money, eh?"

They're definitely on my short list now. Along with NW FCU and Navy Federal. Possibly others.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:35 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,621,793 times
I have BBT and for over 2 years now and love them!

Old 12-15-2011, 06:15 PM

15,146 posts, read 27,817,958 times
I'm BB&T as well (since they bought First Va. which I got when I first moved here) - can't answer about ATM's though as I don't use them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia