Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 01:32 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,762,890 times

Advertisements

I just got a notice from Wells Fargo that they're going to start charging for online transfers (perhaps even to other WF accounts). They will also start delaying arrival of transfers to other WF accounts by one day--no doubt to make money off the interest.

That's the last straw for me. (They recently got rid of "Wachovia Privileges" accounts, which were for people with so much in assets with the bank, including mortgage accounts. You got a free safe-deposit box and no fees on lots of things, including all wire transfers.)

What's a good bank *with more than one ATM* that doesn't do such things? (I'm tempted by credit unions, but I can't use an institution that has no ATM nearby. I refuse to pay ATM fees.)

I recall that people who use Burke & Herbert seem to love it. Does B&H reimburse you if you're charged by another bank to use the other bank's ATM?

Thanks for any recommendations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 01:41 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,607,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I just got a notice from Wells Fargo that they're going to start charging for online transfers (perhaps even to other WF accounts). They will also start delaying arrival of transfers to other WF accounts by one day--no doubt to make money off the interest.

That's the last straw for me. (They recently got rid of "Wachovia Privileges" accounts, which were for people with so much in assets with the bank, including mortgage accounts. You got a free safe-deposit box and no fees on lots of things, including all wire transfers.)

What's a good bank *with more than one ATM* that doesn't do such things? (I'm tempted by credit unions, but I can't use an institution that has no ATM nearby. I refuse to pay ATM fees.)

I recall that people who use Burke & Herbert seem to love it. Does B&H reimburse you if you're charged by another bank to use the other bank's ATM?

TD seems to be pretty agressive about getting new customers (and they have a new neourbanist looking branch in downtown Annandale) and PNC also seems to be going after new customers aggressively. Some folks are going fully local and joining credit unions.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:46 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,482,183 times
Ugh, I also heard that Wells Fargo was the pits. Who wants to stay with a bank that charges for your money every time you make a transfer?

My husband has TD bank, he likes it, but they mysteriously started charging him $20 each time his checking account went below $100, even if it was at, say, 99.00. So he just kinda sticks with it, but has to make sure there are $100 at all times in there.

I have PNC and they are awesome. They don't have a limit on what you can keep in your checking account, they have overdraft protection (haven't charged me a fee when I accidentally over-drafted once), their reps are always really nice, free ATMs (wawa has PNC atms and they are free), they pay good interest. Generally I like them - my husband is going to make the switch to PNC in the spring. Good luck finding a bank!

Old 12-14-2011, 01:52 PM

648 posts, read 1,337,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post

Have you checked Sun Trust? While I'm not sure about the other stuff you mentioned, they do reimburse for using another bank's ATM.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:16 PM

462 posts, read 1,214,823 times
We solely use an out-of-state credit union for our banking. However, it offers ATM surcharge-free processing at ATMs located at Targets, 7 Elevens, CVS, as well as at other select Credit Unions in the area and other misc locations. You might want to see if the CU you are interested in has a similar arrangement.

And, you always have the "cash back" option when using a debit card to get money into your pocket without a fee.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:33 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,546,562 times
I've had a checking account at PNC since they took over Riggs. This is solely for the close-to-work and close-to-home ATM access it provides, but I've never faced any fees or had other issues with them. Credit unions however are a better way to bank, period. I don't myself, but the better half uses a CU debit card for fee-free cash at 7/11, so costless ATM access from a CU account may not be nearly as restricted as you might think. Worth checking into the details.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:48 PM

5,014 posts, read 6,643,352 times
B&H does have certain checking accounts that reimburse fees for outside ATM use. Those accounts are tied into online/paperless deposits and statements. Not sure what Fairfax Credit Union offers (you just need to be a FX citizen or do substantial biz in FX County to join).

Old 12-14-2011, 02:49 PM

26,711 posts, read 41,904,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCPA View Post
We solely use an out-of-state credit union for our banking. However, it offers ATM surcharge-free processing at ATMs located at Targets, 7 Elevens, CVS, as well as at other select Credit Unions in the area and other misc locations. You might want to see if the CU you are interested in has a similar arrangement.

And, you always have the "cash back" option when using a debit card to get money into your pocket without a fee.
And I use Apple FCU, which is based in Fairfax, here in Louisville. I never need to pay a fee to deposit or withdraw money. If you can find a CU that uses the Co-op or CU24 system you have a lot of ATMs available.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:13 PM

271 posts, read 448,620 times
@Carlingtonian

I was in your same exact boat! I made the switch when Wachovia went away. We went to a local credit union (NorthWest Federal Credit Union). They have been great, you need to have some DOD/government affiliation to become a member however. They have ATMs at my govt facility which is very nice since I don't pay any ATM fees.

Also if a friend or family recommends you to them both parties get a free $100 deposit, no strings (you just need a direct deposit account and after 3 deposits you get the bonus.)

FWIW they also have higher yielding savings account, well surpassing anything Wachovia had (granted it is still not much, but its better then most typical banking institutions.)

Hope that helps, and sorry for hear your troubles with WF glad we go out when we did.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:22 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,762,890 times
Wow, thanks to every one of you for your reply! Very helpful.

PNC sounds pretty good, although the connection to the old Riggs Bank (which was busted for laundering money for Pinochet and the Saudis) bothers me. But all the big banks are guilty of something, so maybe it shouldn't bother me. And since they took over Riggs, maybe it's not the same thing.

Just saw Katyusha's info on SunTrust--good to know! They're now on my short list.

Jon in NOVA thanks for the info and commiseration; I am a DoD employee, but I normally would be stopping at an ATM somewhere in N. Arlington (usually Ballston or Westover), so I'm really wanting a bank or CU that has ATMs in one or both of those places or will reimburse me for fees incurred using someone else's.

I pay all of our bills online and have our mortgage on autopay. Are any of you folks dissatisified with your bank's or credit union's online interface? (WF's is actually not bad--though I thought Wachovia's was simpler and more intuitive.)

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 12-14-2011 at 03:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia