Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 07:23 AM

722 posts, read 1,923,167 times

Advertisements

I've never been to Lake Anne...

The OP stated that there are actually signs up saying it is for children and that loitering is not allowed.

So is the area the OP is talking about the same as the pictures that Caladium posted, stating that while children do play there, it is not specifically and exclusively for the use of children?

Old 01-02-2012, 07:24 AM

165 posts, read 202,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Kids like to play on the cement blocks in front of the coffee house, however it's not a playground

....people could buy a sandwich or a cup of coffee and then sit on the blocks enjoying the day.

However, even though kids like to play there these were built to be public art, and are not designated as playgrounds.

However, if you don't feel comfortable having your child play near adults..
If I can't get across the simple idea that grown men should not loiter, smoke, leave cigarettes butts, and act belligerently where children play, then there is a serious problem in our community.

You can keep repeating the falsehood, but the structure has a sign on it that says, "Children's Play Area" "No Loitering." It is obvious from the design, the fact that you can crawl into it, etc. that it is intended for children. I was on a tour with Robert E. Simon one time, and he said the same. He was a big fan of play areas and I doubt that he would say anything as rude as telling me and my children to get out. They don't have a problem with adults, but I don't like smoke blown in their faces. I am sorry that you are ok with that.

If you don't like following rules and decent behavior, I wish that you would stay away from where children play.

We have a real problem if I can't get a basic fact across without your spread of falsehoods, and the fact that we can't agree on civil behavior.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereinVA View Post
I've never been to Lake Anne...

The OP stated that there are actually signs up saying it is for children and that loitering is not allowed.

So is the area the OP is talking about the same as the pictures that Caladium posted, stating that while children do play there, it is not specifically and exclusively for the use of children?
It is the first two pictures. The second one shows one of the openings where children can crawl in. The sign is on the far side of Caladium's pictures (you can't see it in her pictures).

Old 01-02-2012, 07:38 AM

If you look at the first picture, one man was sitting on the steps to the right of the person who is wearing the "GAP" sweatshfirt. He was smoking a cigarette, acting surley, and never said a word to me when I talked to him.

In the second picture, where the child with the green shirt is squatting, there were five men standing, several of which were smoking. They were on the bricks of the structure right about where the child is. I mean, can't they smoke just a few feet back and not right on it? There are plenty of benches, pieces of are, posts to lean on, etc. all over.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:06 AM

10 posts, read 16,101 times
I honestly wonder if the change in that area that you are talking about is a result of Prince William's anti-illegal immigrant law. I've heard of Fairfax being called a "sanctuary" area, so it would make sense that people that wouldn't want to be caught in Prince William moved to Fairfax County.

Here's a website that lists it as a sanctuary city - Sanctuary Cities: Fairfax County, Va. | Latino America | ASU News21

Old 01-02-2012, 08:44 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,722,491 times
BMOCC, my heart goes out to you. I'm someone who has previously been lambasted on this board for (gasp) hiring a probable illegal to help me with home-improvement projects. But you are absolutely, incontrovertibly in the right on this. It's not a matter of "culture"--it's a matter of obeying the law. There is a SIGN that says "no loitering" and that it's a playground for kids. If people are loitering, then they're breaking the law.

And it should be common sense not to hang around a playground as an solo adult male. That's just weird, creepy behavior. Why would any normal man want to do that?

I just can't believe the Reston HOA is allowing this. I'd always thought HOAs were quick to crack down on such things.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 01-02-2012 at 09:41 AM..

Old 01-02-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelia09 View Post
I honestly wonder if the change in that area that you are talking about is a result of Prince William's anti-illegal immigrant law. I've heard of Fairfax being called a "sanctuary" area, so it would make sense that people that wouldn't want to be caught in Prince William moved to Fairfax County.

Here's a website that lists it as a sanctuary city - Sanctuary Cities: Fairfax County, Va. | Latino America | ASU News21
I had no idea.

I wasn't even talking about deporting anyone, just enforcing HOA rules, but instead, people like Caladium want to throw me and my children out. The message to newcomers is that you can ignore our immigration laws, but also you can ignore our rules too. Hostility is directed towards decent citizens with their children who have a problem with that.

Unless all of the people around Lake Anne work for the Postal Service, then the rapid decline in income would almost have to be caused by a migration. I suspect that it's both. Poor moving in, and possibly those with money moving out.

If anyone wants to reverse this trend, they won't get any support from most of the posters on this message board.

Thanks for the info.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:11 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
If you feel you're witnessing a violation at the cement blocks, I suggest going inside the Reston Community Center. After all, it's right there--the front door of the RCC is less than 20 feet away. There's always a few people at the front desk. They could send someone out to shoo any violators away. That would be a lot easier and more productive than complaining about it here.

Even easier, next time stop at one of the many nearby playgrounds. The various clusters around Lake Anne have playgrounds, or you can go to Baron Cameron Park (a few blocks away), or to Lake Anne Elementary School. You can also let your kids play in the Plaza, but if you do so, realize that they will be sharing the space with many types of people who also like to hang out there.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:42 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,778,323 times
So is there a sign or no sign? People let their kids run wild in a lot of places. Who was there first?

Old 01-02-2012, 01:52 PM

560 posts, read 1,291,491 times
It’s probably “The Pyramid”-

Reston Connection - The Connection Newspapers (http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/articleprint.asp?article=353888&paper=71&cat=104 - broken link)

Bob Simon says it’s for older kids (according to the article).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia