Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-02-2012, 02:03 PM
 
5,125 posts, read 10,088,665 times
Reputation: 2871

Advertisements

There is a small area between the Lake Anne coffee shop, on one side, and a latino market on another side. The small concrete area does indeed have a sign (in English and Spanish) indicating that it is for children and that no loitering is allowed. You can see the sign on the picture from the Reston Connection article that Lucky just posted. Adjacent to that small, concrete area is a seating area that includes a chess/checker table where, presumably, sitting is not only allowed, but encouraged. There are no signs prohibiting smoking in that area. There are additional benches for seating closer to the lake.

Elsewhere in the plaza are other concrete sculpture areas (shown in the last two pictures posted by Caladium). These areas are not designated for children. In fact, there is a sign indicating that children may not play in one of the fountain areas.

Particularly since Reston has many other traditional playground areas, I continue to see only manufactured outrage here. If there were 4-5 Hispanic males holding court in the small children's area, they weren't following the rules. On the other hand, if they were sitting or standing in the adjacent areas with the tables and benches, I don't think they were doing anything wrong.

BTW, most of the shops in Lake Anne Plaza do have tenants. I did notice two vacancies on a very recent visit. Overall, it remains one of the more architecturally significant areas in NoVa. It's a nice place to bring the whole family for a stroll, particularly on a warmer day. Suffice it to say that the very small, concrete children's play area probably would not, by itself, warrant a separate trip. I probably would not have let my kids goof around too long in that tiny, concrete area when they were little without shin guards and helmets.

Last edited by JD984; 01-02-2012 at 02:35 PM..

 
Old 01-02-2012, 02:03 PM
 
Location: Virginia
18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Reputation: 42988
Great article--thanks for the link. Simon's quote says:

"1.The pyramid: Public art should be accessible. The cave underneath the pyramid is for little kids; the pyramid is for older kids and is widely used by much older folk."

So, right here we have Simon noting that this area is a piece of public art that is widely used by both younger and older people.

By the way, Bob will be turning 98 in just a few months. It's impressive that the OP recently went on a walking tour with him. I remember when I became active with the RHT over a decade ago that Bob was no longer taking people on tours and hadn't been for years because he felt he had gotten too old to do that anymore. Impressive that he's somehow managed to find some late blooming pep in his step and using it to give tours again. At the age of 97. Way to go Bob!
 
Old 01-02-2012, 02:24 PM
 
Location: New-Dentist Colony
5,759 posts, read 10,722,491 times
Reputation: 3955
I can see that the layout of this area is a bit ambiguous given the additional info posted above; I had envisioned a traditional playground surrounded by grass. Instead it's apparently a concrete park, part of which is for kids only, and part of which is for all ages but possibly for adults only. Weird.

Still, it should be common sense and common courtesy not to smoke around kids. Arlington recently posted signs near playgrounds asking adults to refrain from smoking within 50 feet.

I read somewhere that Ireland has made all public smoking illegal there. I would fully support that here. (Maybe someday.)
 
Old 01-02-2012, 02:38 PM
 
5,125 posts, read 10,088,665 times
Reputation: 2871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I can see that the layout of this area is a bit ambiguous given the additional info posted above; I had envisioned a traditional playground surrounded by grass. Instead it's apparently a concrete park, part of which is for kids only, and part of which is for all ages but possibly for adults only. Weird.

Still, it should be common sense and common courtesy not to smoke around kids. Arlington recently posted signs near playgrounds asking adults to refrain from smoking within 50 feet.

I read somewhere that Ireland has made all public smoking illegal there. I would fully support that here. (Maybe someday.)
The irony there is that the inspiration for Lake Anne Plaza was probably one of those European town squares where all the adults smoke like chimneys and let their kids drink wine when they are eight, but I wouldn't want my kids breathing in a lot of cigarette smoke at a real playground where they might actually linger, either.
 
Old 01-02-2012, 02:48 PM
 
Location: New-Dentist Colony
5,759 posts, read 10,722,491 times
Reputation: 3955
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
The irony there is that the inspiration for Lake Anne Plaza was probably one of those European town squares where all the adults smoke like chimneys and let their kids drink wine when they are eight, but I wouldn't want my kids breathing in a lot of cigarette smoke at a real playground where they might actually linger, either.
I just hope miming is banned at this park. @#!?! mimes.

But seriously: I think some blame falls with the enforcement authority (Lake Anne HOA or Reston Police) for not enforcing the "children only" rule in that part of the public square, and some also falls with those adults for failing to heed the posted signs.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 01-02-2012 at 02:59 PM..
 
Old 01-02-2012, 03:13 PM
 
5,125 posts, read 10,088,665 times
Reputation: 2871
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I just hope miming is banned at this park. @#!?! mimes.

But seriously: I think some blame falls with the enforcement authority (Lake Anne HOA or Reston Police) for not enforcing the "children only" rule in that part of the public square, and some also falls with those adults for failing to heed the posted signs.
All I can say is that having seen first-hand what a small amount of concrete (and not especially child-friendly) space is at issue here, and the number of people who have jumped on the OP's bandwagon with references to Fairfax's allegedly being a "sanctuary" county and what not, I now have a keener appreciation of how Britain and Argentina ended up going to war over the Falkland Islands.

Would Arlington pay for 24-hour surveillance of a similar patch?

Last edited by JD984; 01-02-2012 at 03:33 PM..
 
Old 01-02-2012, 03:39 PM
 
Location: New-Dentist Colony
5,759 posts, read 10,722,491 times
Reputation: 3955
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
All I can say is that having seen first-hand what a small amount of concrete (and not especially child-friendly) space is at issue here, and the number of people who have jumped on the OP's bandwagon with references to Fairfax's allegedly being a "sanctuary" county and what not, I now have a keener appreciation of how Britain and Argentina ended up going to war over the Falkland Islands.

Would Arlington pay for 24-hour surveillance of a similar patch?
Well, the link about its having become a sanctuary county was from the the Carnegie-Knight Initiative on the Future of Journalism Education--hardly a right-wing group. I thought the article made a compelling case. It's no secret that Prince William has cracked down, so it's logical that anyone who was there illegally would have a good reason to go somewhere else nearby that's still affordable.

As to Arlington, we can barely get them to enforce the leash law here.
 
Old 01-02-2012, 05:56 PM
 
165 posts, read 202,386 times
Reputation: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
The small concrete area does indeed have a sign (in English and Spanish) indicating that it is for children and that no loitering is allowed.
There it is, and it takes a lot of creativity to infer that "no loitering" means something else. There are lots of benches, tables, doorways, art structures, etc. for adults but these men have to stand, sit, and smoke in mass right in the way of children playing. It is rude and also against the posted rules.

I am sorry that so many people who have posted, like Caladium, would like to keep children out of the town center. Children are also part of diversity and have a right to be there too.
 
Old 01-02-2012, 06:08 PM
 
165 posts, read 202,386 times
Reputation: 92
"Children's Play Area. No Loitering."

Connection Newspapers - Main Page (http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/photoview.asp?id=239027 - broken link)
 
Old 01-02-2012, 06:38 PM
 
Location: New-Dentist Colony
5,759 posts, read 10,722,491 times
Reputation: 3955
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOCCC View Post
I am sorry that so many people who have posted, like Caladium, would like to keep children out of the town center. Children are also part of diversity and have a right to be there too.
Well, that's not what she said. She said that if you bring your kids to play there, you should expect adults to be nearby. Exactly how nearby and what they're doing while they are nearby seems to be the issue of contention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top