Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 11:07 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times

Advertisements

Has anyone noticed that Dominion Power and Washington Gas are now asking for payments well before 30 days after billing? It's not a financial difficulty for us, but it's just odd. Plus, I'm prone to procrastination sometimes.

I got one from Wash Gas on 12/30; it's due on Jan. 11.

Then I got the electric bill today; it's due on Jan. 19.

I could've sworn they all used to be due in 30 days. I wonder if they're giving us less time because we pay online.

Anyone have any insights into this? (Hopefully they won't move it forward yet again, so that we have a week to pay.)

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 01-04-2012 at 12:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 12:57 PM

648 posts, read 1,333,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Has anyone noticed that Dominion Power and Washington Gas are now asking for payments well before 30 days after billing? It's not a financial difficulty for us, but it's just odd. Plus, I'm prone to procrastination sometimes.

I got one from Wash Gas on 12/30; it's due on Jan. 11.

Then I got the electric bill today; it's due on Jan. 19.

I could've sworn they all used to be due in 30 days. I wonder if they're giving us less time because we pay online.

Anyone have any insights into this? (Hopefully they won't move it forward yet again, so that we have a week to pay.)

Do you have really long billing cycles for your electric bill? Our electric bill last month was almost $300 (we live in a cottage - shouldn't be that high) and then I noticed our billing cycle was THIRTY-FIVE days!!!
That's ridiculous.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyusha25 View Post
Do you have really long billing cycles for your electric bill? Our electric bill last month was almost $300 (we live in a cottage - shouldn't be that high) and then I noticed our billing cycle was THIRTY-FIVE days!!!
That's ridiculous.
Wow, that sure is a high bill for the wintertime! (Unless you have electric heat.) I don't recall how long our billing cycle is; we changed over to online billing, and I never bother to log in and look at the bill. Maybe I will now.

If it helps you compare, our electric bill for our 1400SF house is $48 for this past month. (I believe that's for 30 days.) Gas last time was just over $150.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Wow, that sure is a high bill for the wintertime! (Unless you have electric heat.) I don't recall how long our billing cycle is; we changed over to online billing, and I never bother to log in and look at the bill. Maybe I will now.

If it helps you compare, our electric bill for our 1400SF house is $48 for this past month. (I believe that's for 30 days.) Gas last time was just over $150.
Ah, that might be the problem. Not only do we not use gas, but our heat is through baseboard heating. But our house isn't that big!! Do those things put out that much electricity??

Old 01-04-2012, 01:31 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,473,081 times
I got our trash bill about 3 weeks ago, then I realized LAST THURSDAY that it was due on Jan 3! LOL. I was like "oh I have time to pay this," and put it aside. Good thing my subconscious grabbed it when I went to pay the other utilities. I always forget about our trash bill since it only comes every 3 months.

I always pay my bills through the mail, for some reason I hate paying bills online except the electric bill since my husband set up the online account for me. Plus when I get them in the mail it is a reminder!

Old 01-04-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Ah, that might be the problem. Not only do we not use gas, but our heat is through baseboard heating. But our house isn't that big!! Do those things put out that much electricity??
Wow, I never knew there was such a thing as electric baseboard heating. We had baseboards years ago when I lived in VT, but I'm pretty sure it was gas. Could be wrong. I liked baseboards better than radiators, though--quieter and less in the way. (Some people actually like the racket from old radiators, but I'm the world's lightest sleeper.)

Old 01-04-2012, 02:12 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,122,653 times
Quote:

My house is about 1800 sq/ft. My Dominion bill was $53 and Washington Gas bill was $115, (150 this month). I usually get my bills near the end of the month and they're due near the middle of next month, so about 20 days. I pay my bills using my banks online bill pay, but don't do e-bills.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:19 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
I did notice that the last Verizon bill I got (bundle-internet, computer, TV) - was late, mailed it off right away (10 days before due) but still got hit w/a late charge as they didn't cash the check until 2 days after it was due (I need to switch to online bill paying)

As for the other comments: 1350 sq. ft. home on budget bill: Gas-$65 (although last month was only $15 to end the budget year). Electricity: $55.

(I do like the house colder than some would like, husband has to deal

Old 01-05-2012, 05:16 AM

I'm just jealous you guys have low electric bills when your dwellings are larger than mine

Old 01-05-2012, 05:59 AM

Quote:
I'm just jealous you guys have low electric bills when your dwellings are larger than mine
Well, you'll feel better when you hear that our gas bill for February will probably top $300. (The only electric fixtures in our house are the lights.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia