Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 08:09 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,090,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyusha25 View Post
Not trying to be snarky, but is there a reason why you believe you will get a lesser fine because you have a PhD? If so, do you carry your framed degree around with you every where you go?
I think he meant it as showing he is a responsible, bonafide citizen, yadda yadda, yadda and not some type of former felon/low-life/sex offender-type.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 08:10 AM

648 posts, read 1,333,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
I think he meant it as showing he is a responsible, bonafide citizen, yadda yadda, yadda and not some type of former felon/low-life/sex offender-type.

Ted Bundy was a serial killer with a law degree. Just sayin!

Old 01-13-2012, 08:24 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,585,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faketeeth View Post
I just got a RD ticket on my way driving my gf to IAD. Her flight was at 10:20pm and we were trying to arrive that the check-in place before 9:20pm due to its an international flight. So I drived fast, about 75-80mph on Dulles toll road. A police officer followed me for several miles then stopped me ( I didn't see him,I suppose he was not very close to me ). Then the bad part, he issued me a general reckless ticket ( 46.2 - 852, MM7.6-MM1 ), indicating I was RD for 7miles. I realized how severe the problem is after getting back home. My situation is:
1. clean driving recode, 0 point
2. I can attend the online driving class
3. I had 18 hours of community service record in 2011.
4. My gf and I both hold PhD degrees, don't know if this will help.

It's not my habit to drive in such a fast way. Is there any one who can give me some advice? Is there any recommendation on RD lawyers? I learned a lesson from this, but I DEFINITELY don't want to have a criminal record. Thank you very much!
Please look at the official reckless driving thread - everyone has already posted answers to your questions there. Also, a clean driving record in VA is +5 points. 0 points is actually not very good. And no one will care about your PhD.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:52 AM

7 posts, read 24,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
Please look at the official reckless driving thread - everyone has already posted answers to your questions there. Also, a clean driving record in VA is +5 points. 0 points is actually not very good. And no one will care about your PhD.
Thanks. My VA license was issued in Aug 2011. I think that's why I didn't get a higher score. My previous ones are good too. Should I grab a copy or does it help?

Old 01-13-2012, 09:22 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,128,439 times
The prosecutor has access to a PC in the court room so they'll know what your record is.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:29 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,090,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katyusha25 View Post
Ted Bundy was a serial killer with a law degree. Just sayin!
I think there is a low % of people with PhDs who are like Ted Bundy.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Thanks a lot.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:01 AM

648 posts, read 1,333,676 times
Quote:

I understand that - point is, it's still possible. Education doesn't dismiss anyone from law breaking.

My whole point was, I don't think anyone is going to care about the degree he has

Old 01-13-2012, 12:14 PM

I talked to several lawyers, they all said its criminal charge and will go to criminal record if convicted. Are they playing any trick here?

Old 01-13-2012, 12:21 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,021,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faketeeth View Post
According to wiki,

The Code of Virginia has over 20 sections pertaining to reckless driving. It is defined as a Class 1 misdemeanor criminal offense, not a traffic infraction or a speeding ticket. For example, Virginia code explicitly defines the act of speeding 20 mph or more above the posted speed limit (or at any speed greater than 80 mph) as reckless driving. All drivers convicted of reckless driving in Virginia, including out-of-state and foreign (e.g. Canadian) drivers, will have a permanent criminal record that will be indexed in the NCIC criminal database. The conviction will also be added to a Virginia driving record for 11 years, and six demerit points will be applied.

This makes me really nervous...
Thats govt for you. Big brother will ruin your life for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia