U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 01:47 AM

7 posts, read 23,957 times

Advertisements

I just got a RD ticket on my way driving my gf to IAD. Her flight was at 10:20pm and we were trying to arrive that the check-in place before 9:20pm due to its an international flight. So I drived fast, about 75-80mph on Dulles toll road. A police officer followed me for several miles then stopped me ( I didn't see him,I suppose he was not very close to me ). Then the bad part, he issued me a general reckless ticket ( 46.2 - 852, MM7.6-MM1 ), indicating I was RD for 7miles. I realized how severe the problem is after getting back home. My situation is:
1. clean driving recode, 0 point
2. I can attend the online driving class
3. I had 18 hours of community service record in 2011.
4. My gf and I both hold PhD degrees, don't know if this will help.

It's not my habit to drive in such a fast way. Is there any one who can give me some advice? Is there any recommendation on RD lawyers? I learned a lesson from this, but I DEFINITELY don't want to have a criminal record. Thank you very much!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 02:09 AM

7,671 posts, read 12,701,864 times
Sounds like you can afford a lawyer. Hire one. And you will not have a criminal record if convicted of RD. It goes only on your driving record and not criminal record. Find the Official Reckless Driving thread on here. Plenty of info there.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Sounds like you can afford a lawyer. Hire one. And you will not have a criminal record if convicted of RD. It goes only on your driving record and not criminal record. Find the Official Reckless Driving thread on here. Plenty of info there.
Thanks a lot! So it is not a criminal charge at all, then how severe could it impact one's career or life? And how likely do you think it can be reduced to improper driving? Thanks again!

Old 01-13-2012, 03:22 AM

According to wiki,

The Code of Virginia has over 20 sections pertaining to reckless driving. It is defined as a Class 1 misdemeanor criminal offense, not a traffic infraction or a speeding ticket. For example, Virginia code explicitly defines the act of speeding 20 mph or more above the posted speed limit (or at any speed greater than 80 mph) as reckless driving. All drivers convicted of reckless driving in Virginia, including out-of-state and foreign (e.g. Canadian) drivers, will have a permanent criminal record that will be indexed in the NCIC criminal database. The conviction will also be added to a Virginia driving record for 11 years, and six demerit points will be applied.

This makes me really nervous...

Old 01-13-2012, 05:20 AM

7,671 posts, read 12,701,864 times
And I'm telling you that wiki (crap for info) is wrong. Released on a ticket=driving record. Arrested and taken before a magistrate and a warrant is issued for RD=criminal record.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:12 AM

3,852 posts, read 3,639,469 times
My driving record is far from perfect, but I feel compelled to say: please plan ahead next time and allow sufficient time to get to the airport. Driving 80 on the Toll Road is dangerous, and it's fortunate nothing more serious happened than a reckless driving charge. I learned from the consequences of my mistakes, and hope you will, too.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:17 AM

3,524 posts, read 7,025,877 times
Don't believe everything you read on WIKI. It's a dynamic site and anyone can modify it with incorrect info.

It's not detrimental to your career, unless you want to work as a UPS delivery guy then maybe it'll cast a shadow. I got a RD years ago and I still managed to contract to various federal agencies after completing their background checks. After 10yrs of contracting I switched over to a FTE and again another background check. RD doesn't disqualify you from even getting a concealed handgun permit in VA, nor from purchasing firearms through an FFL dealer.

Next time, just leave earlier and drive slower. You should really get there 2-3 hours for international flights anyways. Dulles is a big airport and the security lines can get backed up.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:45 AM

639 posts, read 1,238,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faketeeth View Post
4. My gf and I both hold PhD degrees, don't know if this will help.

It's not my habit to drive in such a fast way. Is there any one who can give me some advice? Is there any recommendation on RD lawyers? I learned a lesson from this, but I DEFINITELY don't want to have a criminal record. Thank you very much!

Not trying to be snarky, but is there a reason why you believe you will get a lesser fine because you have a PhD? If so, do you carry your framed degree around with you every where you go?

Old 01-13-2012, 07:47 AM

3,315 posts, read 9,474,383 times
I was caught speeding on the DTR once upon a time, doing 81 mph. But the officer let me go (my lucky day).

We had a recent incident with regarding reckless driving (in Loudoun Co). Got a lawyer. We showed up in court and it seemed like everyone without a lawyer got nowhere. The charge was reduced and we paid the little fine (no other driving classes, etc.).

Old 01-13-2012, 08:04 AM

6,100 posts, read 6,959,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katyusha25 View Post
Not trying to be snarky, but is there a reason why you believe you will get a lesser fine because you have a PhD? If so, do you carry your framed degree around with you every where you go?
I carry my HS diploma with me. Yet no one seems to care.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia