Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 07:24 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,675,713 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are coming to the conclusion that having a landline might actually be useful, since either of our cell phones can quit working at any time. When that happens, if one of us is away from the house and needs to reach the other, we can't.

Our house has copper phone lines and extensions all over the place. I'd love to have these activated. Even though our Fios TV and Internet usually works great, I don't want to have everything depending on one line.

Will Verizon activate landline service over the copper wires? And if they won't, will anyone else--perhaps AT&T or Qwest?

Thanks for any info.

Added: After more research, maybe this isn't such a good idea.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 01-27-2012 at 07:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2012, 08:15 AM

4,378 posts, read 8,057,029 times
How about getting a VOIP solution like Vonage or their ilk? They're normally cheaper than a land line too.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
How about getting a VOIP solution like Vonage or their ilk? They're normally cheaper than a land line too.
Thanks, I guess it's worth considering. But (showing my ignorance here) does Vonage require you to have your laptop on and be online to use its phone service?

Old 01-27-2012, 08:46 AM

743 posts, read 3,889,065 times
If you are going to go the VOIP route, I highly recommend getting an Ooma. It is a bit expensive up front, but once it is set up, you only pay local taxes and fees (around $3.50/month). Sound quality is great, and you get free voicemail, long distance, and caller id.

There is no computer involved, it goes between your modem and router. It also let's you register tour address for 911 services.

The upgraded services are $10 per month, and really awesome.

As far as your original question, I don't see why Verizon wouldn't hook your home up.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:55 AM

Eric, thanks; I agree, VZ would love to get us on the Triple Play plan, but something about having our TV, Internet, and landline all on the same piece of fiber makes me feel vulnerable--although maybe I shouldn't, since the landline would only be as a backup for our cellphones or to dial out in an emergency. (We wouldn't plan on giving the number out to anyone.) (Our home alarm system uses a separate GSM signal, which can't be cut.)

When you say "between my modem and my router," do you mean between the router that VZ provided (Fios router) and the Fios box attached to the house? Guess I'm not sure where the modem is; I know there's one in the laptop, but you said no computer involved.

Last edited by Carlingtonian; 01-27-2012 at 09:11 AM..

Old 01-27-2012, 09:01 AM

298 posts, read 678,660 times
If you had FIOS installed, they probably removed the ability to use the copper, so I doubt anyone could activate it. The only benefit to copper would be that it may stay powered even if the electricity goes out. FIOS is dependent on electricity, but has battery backup, so it will work for something like 4 hrs with the power out.

For us, the difference between paying for voice + Internet versus voice + TV + Internet was like $5 per month(!), so we went ahead and activated TV. If you are already running TV + Internet and just need to activate voice, I bet it is cheap as heck. You may want to call them.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:03 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,181,512 times
I have no experience whatsoever with it however the "Magicjack" (or however it's spelled) is now available with direct connectivity and no computer required. Plug your phone into it and it into your Internet connection and you're good to go.

One nice thing about the Magicjack (if it's a viable solution) is it allows you to plug a central station into it and continue to use multiple phones around your house - I have a Uniden phone system bought from Costco with, like, 5 extensions or something - that is very convenient and something I would want to retain were I to switch from landline to Magicjack-or-equivalent.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyField View Post
If you had FIOS installed, they probably removed the ability to use the copper, so I doubt anyone could activate it. The only benefit to copper would be that it may stay powered even if the electricity goes out. FIOS is dependent on electricity, but has battery backup, so it will work for something like 4 hrs with the power out.

For us, the difference between paying for voice + Internet versus voice + TV + Internet was like $5 per month(!), so we went ahead and activated TV. If you are already running TV + Internet and just need to activate voice, I bet it is cheap as heck. You may want to call them.
Sally, I know for a fact that they left the copper alone--they reportedly used to remove it when they first started Fios--but you may be right. When I first had this notion of getting copper landline service, I'd assumed it'd be more dependable than Fios voice--but then I read all this stuff about how VZ is basically letting copper die and refusing to repair/maintain its copper outdoor lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyguy View Post
I have no experience whatsoever with it however the "Magicjack" (or however it's spelled) is now available with direct connectivity and no computer required. Plug your phone into it and it into your Internet connection and you're good to go.
Good to know! That might be worth considering. But then, if that means we'd be using our Internet connection for our phone line (just like Fios voice), then we might as well just add phone service to our Fios double-play.

Thank you all! Great help.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:14 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,181,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
if that means we'd be using our Internet connection for our phone line (just like Fios voice), then we might as well just add phone service to our Fios double-play.
I believe Digital Phone from whomever is a LOT more expensive than Magicjack.

Again - I don't have either - still stuck with the even more expensive landline.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:28 AM

687 posts, read 1,370,853 times
Carlingtonian - You mentioned that your home alarm system uses a cellular connection. I have a ADT and have been keeping my Verizon land line just for the alarm. From what I read in the past the cellular connection was only supposed to be a backup in case the robber cut your land line. Is the GSM cellular your only connection to the call center? Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: