Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 10:10 PM

219 posts, read 473,284 times

Advertisements

The ironic thing about all this whining and complaining about the "exurb" Loudoun County is that it wasn't so long ago that a lot of Fairfax County (e.g. Herndon and Reston) were exurbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 08:32 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,177,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perries View Post
The ironic thing about all this whining and complaining about the "exurb" Loudoun County is that it wasn't so long ago that a lot of Fairfax County (e.g. Herndon and Reston) were exurbs.
People STILL complain about that. Just not as much on THIS board as elsewhere

Not everyone works downtown. Lots of people work in the Dulles and Ashburn areas. Why should they buy in Fairfax? We debated moving to Loudoun since my husband works in Ashburn, but I mostly didn't want a commute over an hour on the days I have to drive to South Fairfax.

For most of the families I know, affordability and commute are two deciding factors in home purchase. We could have moved to Brambleton or South Riding and gotten a bigger and newer house for the money, but that wasn't as important to us. We both work in the burbs, so distance to downtown isn't critical to us. We know people who made the decision to build in Brambleton recently vs. staying in Fairfax/Chantilly - he works out there and she works in Tysons.

There are some valid points to be made re: taxes, roads, businesses and the state budget. But I think that when it comes to decisions about what house you are going to buy/biggest purchase most people ever make, everyone has their list of wants and needs and then has to weigh the pros and cons of different locations. The cost of commuting for me (gas, extra miles, ridiculous toll road fees) was a HUGE con to the communities in Loudoun. But, some people are willing to deal with that for a bigger and newer house, and that is their right.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:36 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,157,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmurphy View Post
Believe it or not, I've heard that the wxyz lounge at the aloft (hotel behind the Exxon just off the LoCo Parkway exit on the Greenway) is pretty happening. They have live music, DJs, and extended happy hours; check out their Facebook page for details. Also, Nick's at the BTC sometimes draws a younger crowd depending on who's performing. And there's always the new-ish Village at Leesburg, which has King Pinz, Finnegans, and the Cobb Theaters, and it's not a long trip if you shoot up Belmont Ridge to Route 7.
All good recommendations. We went to the $10 brunch at Finnegans yesterday and it was hopping. I really like Finnegans, but this was the first time I tried the brunch. It was just what we wanted. Really good eggs benedict, and the potato dishes were pretty tasty too. I saw fliers for some sort of Valentine's Day jazz event there tomorrow. I may just swing by to check it out.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Loudoun County is a place you simply have to live in to "get it". I get it, got it, and we LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I make enough money to afford Fairfax. But why would I spend more for it? I just funnel that savings into retirement.
I totally agree. By the way, I work in Loudoun and used to live in Herndon, so I'm an example of a person who has commuted from Fairfax to Loudoun. These days you see people commuting in both directions. Of course now I live out near my job. Anyway, I'm another person who loves living here and sometimes wonders what took me so long to move out to Loudoun. Nothing against Herndon, I liked living there quite a bit, but I really love my new neighborhood. We'll be retiring later this year and we've been looking at properties in Rehoboth and St. Augustine, FL. You know what, we may end up just staying here after all. There are a lot of programs for seniors here, and good medical care. I could see moving into a place like Villages of Leesburg, at least for the early years of retirement.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:59 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,526,401 times
Wait, someone lives in Woodbridge and is making fun of people in Brambleton?

Maybe for a DINK, Reston, or Leesburg/Herndon/Fairfax City might be better than Orange Line Arlington, but you live to fulfill YOUR needs, not to make some friends who're still getting smashed every Friday night happy.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perries View Post
BTW, according to the Bureau of Labor and Statistics, Loudoun is now also considered suburban, not exurban. See graphic on the second page of this (linked) PDF file

Industry dynamics in DC

This study by the Brookings Institution below backs that up, as Stephen81 noted in the thread we had on where the line is drawn between exurbs and suburbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen 81 View Post
Brookings Institution did a study of exurbs in the United States in 2006. Fortunately (and unsurprisingly) for us, one of their maps was of census tracts in the DC/Baltimore metropolitan areas.

On page 18 of http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/Files/rc/reports/2006/10metropolitanpolicy_berube/20061017_exurbia.pdf you can see a map of how they defined exurban Washington based on population density, population growth, and commuting patterns. As you thought, Caladium, the dividing line was roughly Leesburg, although Great Falls and Clifton in Ffx County qualified as exurbs, too.

Page 20 even goes so far as to say that Loudoun County, taken as a whole, has passed beyond the exurban stage of development. I would say congrats, but I'm sure not everyone would agree

Old 02-13-2012, 09:34 AM

9,900 posts, read 14,211,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
But, some people are willing to deal with that for a bigger and newer house, and that is their right.
Not everyone moves west for "bigger and newer". My house is small and old. Charm, relaxation, and scenery were my biggest drivers.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:39 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,114,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Not everyone moves west for "bigger and newer". My house is small and old. Charm, relaxation, and scenery were my biggest drivers.
Same here. Former Loudeners and moved west all the way to Winchester, VA for older (1920s Arts & Crafts) although bigger and also for the charm, character, neighborhood and community, relaxation, and of course, the scenery.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:43 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,526,401 times
Western Loudoun = de facto greenbelt between the zoning, conservation easements, etc., that are in place. You've got much smaller greenbelts in Great Falls and Clifton, however.
Eastern Loudoun = suburbia. How is the older part of Ashburn (1990s vintage) that different from say Fairfax Corners (also 1990s vintage IIRC)?

Also -- exurban isn't necessarily a curse word. One could consider the Main Line communities in Philly exurban, for example ...

Old 02-13-2012, 09:47 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,114,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
So I'm 26 years old and me and my fiancé just bought a house in Brambleton. Me and her personally love it, but most of our friends who are our age are always telling us "why did you guys choose to move to the boonies?"
Congratulations on the new home!

Forget what your friends are saying and honestly, they probably sound like a broken record right now. When it comes time for them to buy a home, let's see how attractive the "boonies" will be to them.

Besides, those of us further west (i..e, Leesburg, Purcellville, Berryville, etc.) have to deal with the "boonies" -- and alot of people who have never visited these areas just have stereotypes about these places.

Quote:
Anyway, with that being said, I let it get to me and my friends barely visit cause driving an hr to get here is too far. (they're from Woodbridge) . . . .
Yeah, and who wants to drive to Woodbridge? Not a contest I know but personally, I would choose to trek into Loudoun County way before anything on that side of 95 South.

One of my best friends lives in Woodbridge and she comes to visit us out in Winchester ("ultra-boonie" I suppose) to visit. Same with friends from Arlington and the Sterling-Ashburn area. If friends want to visit, they'll make the effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia