Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 06:24 AM

199 posts, read 673,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonsengineer View Post
I originally asked for a transfer to work in Fairfax, company forced me to work in the PWC branch because, ya know, as the lowest person on the totem pole nobody else was willing to work there.
But how could you, that goes against every thing you stand for....robbing the money from one county and all. You should have held to your ideology and quit. I mean how could your company make you work in an inferior county?

Old 02-17-2012, 07:18 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,521,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gammann View Post
But how could you, that goes against every thing you stand for....robbing the money from one county and all. You should have held to your ideology and quit. I mean how could your company make you work in an inferior county?
I think he's just jelly that Loudoun's got the highest household income and all.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:12 AM

531 posts, read 1,430,841 times
I lived in both PW (Gainesville/Bristow area), and Loudoun. I like Loudoun a lot better. If you want to commute to Mclean, try Cascades in Sterling or Ashburn. Traffic in Ashburn is not very good. But you can take the bus to Tysons. The Greenway will help if you are willing to pay the expensive toll.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:17 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,105,151 times
If you want a short commute, you can find a nice older home in Annandale (22003) near the Beltway. If you want newer construction, of the places you mentioned, I'd stick to Ashburn - maybe the Brambleton area - and try to avoid some place in PW where you might have to take Route 66 and then potentially have to spend additional time on Route 123 or Route 7. Commuting to Tysons from Ashburn isn't easy, but you have more options.

Traffic is a bear in NoVa, and you have to decide how long a commute you're ready to accept, and for how long. There are quite a few of us on this forum who've moved to reduce our commutes, but we don't speak for everyone, and people have different priorities.

Last edited by JD984; 02-17-2012 at 08:27 AM..

Old 02-17-2012, 01:31 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,324,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
I think he's just jelly that Loudoun's got the highest household income and all.
Clearly you don't know what the meaning of median income is. Also I love you loudouners make both the argument that you can't afford fairfax and that Loudoun has more money.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:26 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,655,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newnewsmama View Post
I lived in both PW (Gainesville/Bristow area), and Loudoun. I like Loudoun a lot better. If you want to commute to Mclean, try Cascades in Sterling or Ashburn. Traffic in Ashburn is not very good. But you can take the bus to Tysons. The Greenway will help if you are willing to pay the expensive toll.
I live in Brambleton (south Ashburn) and work in Tysons. From wax pool-28s-toll road, I can be at work in 30 mins. 40 if wax pool is backed up around 7:30-8:30. If 30 mins is a long time to you, then weird, especially for nova. But if so, I feel like the bus from ashburn to Tyson's is a bit much.
(it's 18.9 miles from my house to my office in Tyson's)

I used to live in dumfries and commute to Tyson's daily.(35 miles from dumfries to Tyson's). THAT was a drive. It'd take 90 mins on a good day to get from dumfries to Tysons one way. To me, 30 mins one way is doable.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:34 PM

531 posts, read 1,430,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
I live in Brambleton (south Ashburn) and work in Tysons. From wax pool-28s-toll road, I can be at work in 30 mins. 40 if wax pool is backed up around 7:30-8:30. If 30 mins is a long time to you, then weird, especially for nova. But if so, I feel like the bus from ashburn to Tyson's is a bit much.

I used to live in dumfries and commute to Tyson's daily.(35 miles from dumfries to Tyson's). THAT was a drive. It'd take 90 mins on a good day to get from dumfries to Tysons one way. To me, 30 mins one way is doable.
When I said Ashburn's traffic was not good. I was not comparing it with PW. PW's commute to Tyson's is much worse. That's why I recommended Loudoun over PW to the OP. Waxpool is often backed up because very few people want to pay the toll on Greenway. It is pretty bad at rush hours.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:01 PM

214 posts, read 488,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post

So you are saying it takes you 30-40 minutes from the intersection at waxpool/28 to tysons. That is not a 30-40 minute commute, total, right? You have to get from your house to that intersection. Unless you live at Wegmans.
I am surprised that distance is only 30-40 minutes at the peak of rush hour.

OP, I would never commute from so far out to Tysons every day, esp with two young children. If I was commuting to Tysons and had a 600k budget, I would look in the nicer areas of Annandale, Reston, Fairfax City, and Vienna. You can get a nice house with plenty of space for 4 people in a great school district without a soul-crushing commute.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:45 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,655,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYmama2dallas View Post
So you are saying it takes you 30-40 minutes from the intersection at waxpool/28 to tysons. That is not a 30-40 minute commute, total, right? You have to get from your house to that intersection. Unless you live at Wegmans.
I am surprised that distance is only 30-40 minutes at the peak of rush hour.

OP, I would never commute from so far out to Tysons every day, esp with two young children. If I was commuting to Tysons and had a 600k budget, I would look in the nicer areas of Annandale, Reston, Fairfax City, and Vienna. You can get a nice house with plenty of space for 4 people in a great school district without a soul-crushing commute.
I mean leaving on a GOOD day leaving from my house, yes 30 mins or so, not on a day with heavy traffic. On a good day, 30 mins is easily doable. Of course, traffic makes a difference. It's not backed up on waxpool every single day.

If it takes someone more than 45 mins to get into Tysons from ashburn, either there's a bad accident somewhere, traffic is awful everywhere, or you just drive like a granny. The longest it took me to get to work was an hour one morning when there was not one but two accidents on the DTR.

Last edited by sonnymarkjiz; 02-17-2012 at 07:17 PM..

Old 05-05-2012, 11:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,303 times
what kind of job do i need to afford a 600 - 750k home in fairfax? i am really amazed at how expensive things are. i make 120k as an engineer and am looking to 'move up' in the next few years. what do i need to be doing? what am i doing wrong? what am i missing?

can someone fill me in as to how much money i really need to be making to live in a nice home, drive 2 nice cars and raise 2-3 children?

thank you all in advance for your replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia