Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 12:55 PM

5 posts, read 9,124 times

Advertisements

Afternoon everyone,

Myself and one other are looking for some assistance with finding a place to live, and we've come to you good folks for some help. I posted this on the DC forum, and they recommended I also post here. Without further ado...

1. Do I need to be by a metro rail? Would I be okay if I were on a bus line?

We do need to be close, yes. I will be driving to work on the Hill, but my roommate will be commuting to the Forest Glen metro stop on the Red line. Though he is okay with buses; if he has to bus to the Forest Glen metro stop (his work has a shuttle from there) then that's okay as well.

2. How long of a commute to work am I willing to have? Would I be okay driving? Taking the commuter rail? (where will I be working?)

I would prefer no more than a 30-40m drive to the Hill, though I might metro if we were close enough. He would prefer a commute around the same time, to the Forest Glen metro stop.

3. Would I be willing to live with a roommate or multiple roommates?

We'd prefer to keep it at the two of us for now.

4. What amenities do I absolutely need in an apartment -- pets? gym? a/c? washer/dryer?

Neither of us have pets. A gym is not necessary. A/C & good heat would be necessary... a W/D in the apartment is not (would be nice), though in the building would be alright as well.

5. What is the absolute maximum, with utilities and any fees, I can afford?

We would prefer to keep it around $1000/person, but can go up to $1200-$1250/person if necessary. We had been discussing the idea of doing a 1BR + den and converting the den into a 2nd bedroom, and that is perfectly fine with us if it can reduce costs enough that we can get the rest of what we're looking for.

6. What is my definition of safe?

I honestly don't know how to really answer this - as I'll be driving from point A to point B for work, it doesn't affect me much (though walking around for social life would be nice as I'll elaborate on later), but my roommate has been mugged at gunpoint before, and he has mentioned how he'd like to not live in SE or NE. Sooo yeah.

7. How important is nightlife? family community? schools?

The meat and potatoes of this - we really want to live in an area with people and nightlife. I am from NYC originally, and I have heard that DC has many areas that are 100% residential; this does not appeal to me whatsoever. We're both single professionals, so family/schools/etc don't apply, but the nightlife scene definitely does. Also, as bizarre as it sounds, a highrise would be absolutely fantastic to live in, again appealing to my NYC roots.

I had previously spoken to some folks and they recommended a couple of areas in Northern Virginia, but I can't recall the exact names offhand - Clarendon perhaps was one?

Thanks in advance for any help and thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 01:14 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,519,141 times
I hate to bounce you around, but why not Bethesda or Silver Spring? It's about as urban as Orange Line Arlington (Court House/Clarendon/Ballston), decent nightlife, and it's on the Red Line. Can't say accurately if the car commute to Capital Hill will work or not.

You ought to be able to get a 1BR+den for $2000-$2500 in DC proper west of the park, as well.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:46 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,460,681 times
I would think Bethesda would be a painful commute to Capitol Hill. What about Eastern Market, in addition to Clarendon, etc., and the DC neighborhoods you've probably already heard about, such as Dupont, Logan, etc.?

Old 02-22-2012, 02:06 PM

33 posts, read 48,355 times
I wouldn't recommend living in Virginia in your situation. Silver Spring might be your best bet.

The downtown area of SS has a bunch of high-rises and a steadily improving nightlife situation. Your roommate would be golden, since Forest Glen is only a couple stops away on the Metro. You'd be crazy to drive to work on the Hill, since you'd have walkable Metro access--you can walk to the Hill from the Union Station stop of the Red Line quite easily, or you can transfer to the Blue/Orange at Metro Center and get even closer to the heart of the Hill. Driving to the Hill in the morning sucks from pretty much anywhere.

You have to be careful with listings, though, because many things are listed as "Silver Spring" that aren't even close to the downtown core of SS.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:30 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,109,207 times
Clarendon seems like a good choice to me.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:23 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,186,149 times
Clarendon is about as good as it gets for younger professionals in NOVA and your combined budget should accommodate the both of you reasonably well. I do agree with others that there are more convenient commutes to be found in DC and MD that may be within your financial and social range.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:27 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,590,410 times
Not sure about the commute time, but the Carlyle apartment building in Old Town, Alexandria might work for you.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:58 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,733,553 times
Tough criteria there. You want lots of nightlife and a quick commute to the Hill--but then you want a safe area. But cheap!

Cheap and close to 20002 = SE past 395 or NE above NY Ave. But stay inside at night.

Safe and close to 20002 = Cap Hill within a mile or so of the Capitol. But it's not cheap, and the only nightlife is on PA Ave (though it'd be a quick bus or cab ride to U St/A-M/DuPont).

Safe, reasonable commute to 20002, and nightlife = Clarendon. But again, not cheap. (Silver Spring would be almost identical, but arguably less safe.)

From what you've said about yourselves, I'd probably steer you toward DC. It has the proximity to work and the nightlife you've said is important to you. And there are still areas that will fit into your budget.

Just have good situational awareness if you're out at night--no burying your nose in your phone as you walk, and avoid areas or people that give you that nervous feeling people often ignore. I.e., don't hang out around Gallery Place at night.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:38 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,653,017 times
Clarendon/Ballston is the only area in the DC area that fits your needs, esp a "going out" scene at night with high rises. You'll like it there, but it's really pricey. But with your budget, that semes like its okay.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:43 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,733,553 times
I'm not sure if the nightlife in Clarendon would meet their expectations; don't the bars there close at 10PM? Clarendon has lots of swank restaurants and a few bars, but I don't think of it as a late-night spot, the way those other areas are.

I think they should shoot for someplace near U Street NW. Adams-Morgan is full of belligerent drunken frat boys (plus it's a mile walk to either Metro), and DuPont is super pricey and not close to Capitol Hill. U Street has gotten pricier in the last 10 years, but I'm betting they can still find something within a mile of it that's within their budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia