Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 08:09 PM

303 posts, read 917,737 times

Advertisements

It's getting time for me to make good on my promise to let my daughter get her ears pierced. For several reasons (mostly relating to hygiene), I'm leaning toward having them done at a tattoo shop. Can anyone recommend a clean, reputable tattoo studio that does piercings in the NoVA area? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 09:11 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,724,383 times
A friend of mine had her daughter's ears pierced at Comes a Time Tattoo shop in Fairfax City.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:35 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,725,256 times
How old is your daughter? I had my 9 years olds ears done at Icing's (not Claires, owed by the same group, but one caters to adults and the people that work there are older) at the mall. The hygiene was fine. They gave her complete instructions on what to do for 6 weeks, along with a bottle of antiseptic.

I don't think a tattoo parlor is where I would take my daugher - depending on age of course. And the older she is..then definitly not! I don't think I want her to see other options for piercings etc.

No offense to tattoo parlors or those that have tattoo's intended.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:55 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,124,958 times
I've got no piercings and no intention of getting any, but my coworker is into that stuff. He's worked in a couple of tattoo shops over the years. He says whatever you do, do not go to a place that uses a piercing "gun", instead go to one that uses the piercing needle. He went into this whole diatribe on how you couldn't clean a piercing gun properly and how it tears the skin and is a lot more painful than using a needle.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:33 AM

518 posts, read 924,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
I've got no piercings and no intention of getting any, but my coworker is into that stuff. He's worked in a couple of tattoo shops over the years. He says whatever you do, do not go to a place that uses a piercing "gun", instead go to one that uses the piercing needle. He went into this whole diatribe on how you couldn't clean a piercing gun properly and how it tears the skin and is a lot more painful than using a needle.
I have to agree with Oneasterisk's friend. Best thing I can recommend is for you to go and check out something close personally. Whereabouts do you live? I might be able to recommend a couple of spots to check out.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:44 AM

9,777 posts, read 15,781,748 times
We did ours at the pediatricians. I imagine the hygiene is pretty good there!

Old 02-27-2012, 08:56 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,653,338 times
My DD had her nose pierced at Marlowe Ink in Fairfax City. The piercing didn't work out long-term, but that was not the fault of the establishment. They did try to work with her on it but her body just had a reaction to it.

Her friend gets a lot of stuff done at the Good Times shop in Centreville. Considering she lives about 30 miles from there, she must like something about the place. She feels that do good work there.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:04 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,028,891 times
I asked this question several years back before getting my daughter's ears pierced (which we did at one of those center-of-the-mall kiosks and it was just fine).

The advice I got was that it's fine to do the kiosk/Claire's/etc for a first piercing (center of the earlobe)
but for anything higher up on the ear you should go to a [reputable] tattoo/piercing shop because of the risk of damage to the cartilidge.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:42 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,725,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
We did ours at the pediatricians. I imagine the hygiene is pretty good there!
Didn't know you could do that! Do you have to bring your own posts? Or do they have them.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:56 AM

303 posts, read 917,737 times
Thanks, everyone, for your responses, and special thanks to OrangeFish and ChristineVA for the shop recommendations. I will check them out and am definitely open to more.

Roninsedge, I'm in Vienna - and michgc, if you'd be willing to let me know what ped does them (and if you're happy with the job s/he did), I'd appreciate it. A friend searched hard to find one who did it, but I don't think her daughter got a good aesthetic result.

Slduvall, I do have some apprehension about exposing my daughter to the piercing/tattoo world as a normal thing. I have a very close friend with prominent versions of both, but so far DD thinks they're disgusting, and I'd like to keep it that way (I love my friend and am not bothered by his choices, but don't want to see them on my tweenage daughter.) That said, she does know that quite a few of her (awesome) teachers and babysitters have (less visible) tattoos, so she's already getting a fair amount of exposure.

My main concerns about a mall-type place include those listed: that piercing guns can never be completely cleaned, and that their mechanism can cause more injury than a needle. Also, no matter how common and benign, this is a permanent alteration of her body, and I'd rather it be done by someone with some real training in technique, aesthetics, and sterility. Having a teenager at a mall induce a permanent physical change just feels distasteful to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia