Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 02:16 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,430,240 times

Advertisements

Crystal or Pentagon City might be options to look at. They will give you easy access to 395 for your commute and you can easily metro into DC on days you want to go and there's lots of bars and stuff in Crystal/Pengaon City itself or you can take the metro into DC or Arlington. You aren't really more than 20 minutes from anything.

Living in DC itself is also fine with the reverse commute. The hardest part will be driving out of DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 12:01 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,636,489 times
Thanks for all the input. Do you know of any real estate agents or companies in DC who specialize in rentals? I tried the large management companies and developers in the past like Avalon and Archstone and their rental prices seem very steep to me compared to properties you can find that may be condo's looking to be rented out. I've never had much luck with Craigslist either. I had a ton of luck with a real estate agent in Atlanta so I would like to utilize the same method in DC.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:46 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,578,977 times
If I was 30 something, single, and working in Woodbridge, I would definitely pick Old town. There's plenty going on there. Its an easier commute than from arlington or DC. And its not that hard to get to either North Arlington or to several areas in DC by either car or metro (though I guess its easier to get to Chinatown by metro, or to Georgetown by car, than to say U street)

Old 02-26-2012, 06:03 AM

Thanks for all your input. I just need to find a real estate agent who may know of condos or apartments for rent. Is Long & Foster a good company for that? I've gone the Craigslist and big company route (Avalon, Archstone, etc.) in the past but I haven't found CL to be too reliable and the big companies charge a ton of rent. Ultimately, I think DuPont Circle or Georgetown are for me. Working with an agent in Atlanta I found a gorgeous condo for rent that I wouldn't have found otherwise and I saved quite a bit on rent compared to renting an apartment from a place across the street that wasn't as nice. If you know of any reliable agents that specialize in rentals please let me know. Thank you.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:12 AM

Thanks for all your feedback. I'm going to target the Navy Yard and SW Waterfront. They seem like great areas that are currently affordable and have easy access to 395.

Arlington is just too young for me. I had my fun at bars in my 20's and can't say hanging out with people in their early 20's excites me at this point in life.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:19 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,654,384 times
Yeah...I was in Arlington this past weekend...and the drunk kids who think they're made of steel (usually the preppy kids with the popped collared pink button ups) will usually try getting in your face for little to no reason..then you threaten them back and they run away scared. I keep forgetting that's one main reason I hate North Arlington lol.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:23 AM

HAHA! Yeah I'm good with that. I like a more sophisticated and mature crowd. Arlington is nice for 20 somethings I find Old Town Alexandria nice if you like a quieter community but I like being where the action is so DC is definitely where I want to be.

Does anyone know of any nice developments in Navy Yard or SW Waterfront?

Old 03-06-2012, 10:25 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,683,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
HAHA! Yeah I'm good with that. I like a more sophisticated and mature crowd. Arlington is nice for 20 somethings I find Old Town Alexandria nice if you like a quieter community but I like being where the action is so DC is definitely where I want to be.

Does anyone know of any nice developments in Navy Yard or SW Waterfront?

Well, I work here every day so you'd think I know!!

I pass through some wonderful townhouses everyday and they run about $600,000. There is at least ONE condo building/rental place that is new over by the Marriott. Of course I have no clue what the name of it is.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:56 AM

Thank you

Old 03-09-2012, 11:04 AM

Let me ask one more question. My parents are staying up in Georgetown and said it took them 1 hour to go 2 miles once they got into the city during rush hour last night. Is going into the SW Waterfront less congested and faster than going into Georgetown from Woodbridge in the evening? I really don't want to deal with a 2 hour commute that is only 25 miles door to door. Is the commute this bad only if you live in NW and not in SW?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia