Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 08:30 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,633,884 times

Advertisements

I'm interviewing for a position in Woodbridge and if I'm offered the job I would love to move to a neighborhood in DC like DuPont Circle, Georgetown, Chinatown, or U Street Corridor. My first question is..would this 22 mile commute be a breeze since I would be doing a reverse commute? Also, are these neighborhoods still nice? I left the area in 2009 but I know U Street and Chinatown were really up and coming and I love DuPont and Georgetown. I guess I just need some guidance in regards to the commute and whether living in Arlington would be a better bet or not and if these neighborhoods in DC are still nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 08:36 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,652,683 times
I lived in Woodbridge...it was about 30 miles from DC, not 22. If you're going to work in Woodbridge though, then the commute shouldn't be bad at all, esp leaving during main rush hour cause by that time, traffic is moving north, not south. Really, though, either Arlington or DC would not be so bad at all...but Arlington would be a bit easier to deal with IMO than DC. Driving in general in DC is not very fun. But yeah, you should be good to go with either one of these options. Without traffic, it takes about 30 mins to get into Woodbridge from DC.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:41 AM

Thanks for the feedback. 30 miles isn't bad at all. What are the major differences between living in DC and Arlington? I know both have a ton of single young professionals which I love. Are the rents cheaper in Arlington? When I was looking back in 2009 at rents it seemed they were the same.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:50 AM

TBH, it mainly deals with preference. I used to stay in Arlington, and idk I just liked the atmosphere a bit better. DC has good neighborhoods too like DuPont but DC just feels a bit TOO crowded for me. Arlington (Well, the Ballston/Clarendon area) can get pricey in rent, like $2K-3K a month, so its best to get a roommate. But you will have a ton of bars in your area and tons of post-grads who are fresh out of college.

I like Arlington more...but that's just me. But yeah when I went to Woodbridge with no traffic, it's just going down 395/95 south and you're there.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:55 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,675,760 times
I think Arlington is preferred for young, white 20-somethings. Of course, no limited to whites at all but that seems to be the preference for that demographic over living in DC. I hardly know any "youngsters" renting in DC but TONS in Arlington.

My friend's daughter did the Arlington to Quantico commute for quite some time. Getting there was a breeze. Coming home could be quite a different matter. I-95 seems to routinely be heavy in the afternoons. Not necessarily "gridlock" heavy but it's not often a breeze coming back up. And if you definitely move into DC you will have to contend with getting back into DC during rush hour--the bridges back up in both directions.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:02 AM

Yeah thats true, the bridges from and to DC are usually a nightmare... just food for thought. Cause people after work usually head into DC just to chill/relax, especially when it's warmer.

Old 02-23-2012, 09:06 AM

Thanks for all your feedback. I'm in my mid 30's so I'm wondering if DC is a better option? I do like the bar scene to a degree but not like when I was in my early-late 20's. I'm thinking Georgetown or DuPont may be better options since the rents in those areas and Arlington are the same. How is Chinatown and U Street nowadays? Those were up and coming a few years back. Have the neighborhoods had good growth?

Old 02-23-2012, 09:33 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,184,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
Thanks for all your feedback. I'm in my mid 30's so I'm wondering if DC is a better option? I do like the bar scene to a degree but not like when I was in my early-late 20's. I'm thinking Georgetown or DuPont may be better options since the rents in those areas and Arlington are the same. How is Chinatown and U Street nowadays? Those were up and coming a few years back. Have the neighborhoods had good growth?
Chinatown/Gallery Place and the U Street Corridor are still very popular places to socialize. Folks on the DC forum may have a better idea about actually living there although I have seen apartments and condos rehabbed or built in both areas.

If you're willing to pay DC rent, then you may want to consider Pentagon City/Crystal City in Arlington or Del Ray and Old Town in Alexandria. You would find people in your age range with a moderate amount of things to do yet convenient to Dc . From Old Town in particular, you would have easy access to I-95 to get to Woodbridge.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:52 AM

Thanks for the info. Alexandria is nice. I love Old Town but may be a bit too quiet for me. I'm sure the rents are lower than DC and Arlington though aren't they?

Old 02-23-2012, 12:42 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,184,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
Thanks for the info. Alexandria is nice. I love Old Town but may be a bit too quiet for me. I'm sure the rents are lower than DC and Arlington though aren't they?
In most of Alexandria, rents are less than Arlington or DC. Old Town would be the exception. Whether Old Town is too laid-back is in the eye of the beholder, of course. The main strip King Street isn't so much known for bars as restaurants (in which a significant bar section can be found within many). DJs and live bands are even known to pop up if you know where to look. The strip on Mount Vernon Avenue in Del Ray is more compact but you'd still be convenient to Old Town and the Braddock Road Metro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia