Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 08:34 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,114,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRE332 View Post
It's only worth what one would pay for it. Be happy that your assesment is lowest as possible. I think the demise of Fairfax County is its tax rate.
I thought the property tax rate in Fairfax was lower than in Prince William and Loudoun, and slightly higher than in Arlington. Is that wrong, or are you suggesting it should be higher to fund more social services?

We are up 4.1%, even though McLean generally was down almost 1.0%. Knew we shouldn't have planted that garden.

Last edited by JD984; 02-29-2012 at 08:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 08:35 AM

9,782 posts, read 15,839,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallout Zone View Post
One question for everybody, how is the assessment related to what you think you could sell for? Mine is a heck of a lot lower than the comps in my neighborhood. I would probably list for 15-20% higher than my assessment, and maybe settle for 10-12% higher. Not that I'm complaining, I'm not selling and don't want to pay the extra tax.
Mine went up 1.3% from $503K to $510K. We recently moved and are waffling between selling it this spring or renting it out. I have met with my Realtor and am pretty confident we can get between $560 and $585, so I think about 10-15% higher here in Vienna, although each location is different. And since you're in Arlington County, it might be very different.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:36 AM

9,782 posts, read 15,839,357 times
Quote:
It's only worth what one would pay for it. Be happy that your assesment is lowest as possible. I think the demise of Fairfax County is its tax rate.
Seriously? I think Fairfax County tax rates are very fair. I just moved to North Carolina, and we're paying much more. And don't even compare Fairfax County to NJ, NY, or CT.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:34 PM

778 posts, read 1,061,429 times
Quote:
T

One question for everybody, how is the assessment related to what you think you could sell for?
The assessment is not the same as an appraisal so it's not unusual for the numbers to be different. Google "assessment versus appraisal" and you'll find some good explanations.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:19 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,346,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djplourd View Post
The assessment is not the same as an appraisal so it's not unusual for the numbers to be different. Google "assessment versus appraisal" and you'll find some good explanations.
That's too advanced for them. The less educated home homeowner is overly concerned (nosey)with what's selling around them rather than taking the time to figure out the terminology, and raising the assesed value means to them they've become millionaires, and what they really should be doing is adding value to their career rather than checking what a fictious number, so that they can go buy a used luxury car where the value will drop right after they drive it off the lot.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:41 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,114,518 times
Quote:
That's too advanced for them. The less educated home homeowner is overly concerned (nosey)with what's selling around them rather than taking the time to figure out the terminology, and raising the assesed value means to them they've become millionaires, and what they really should be doing is adding value to their career rather than checking what a fictious number, so that they can go buy a used luxury car where the value will drop right after they drive it off the lot.
I think some people just want reassurance that they should be happy with what they think is a below-market assessment that results in a lower tax bill and that it won't come back to bite them if they decide to sell soon. Did you eat something that disagreed with you at lunch?

Fairfax is such a big county with so many properties to assess that I don't think assessments play too large a role in subsequent sales prices compared to other factors (namely, the ability of buyers, sellers and agents to point to what they believe are the most comparable recent transactions), but it wouldn't be unusual for a potential buyer to make noise about a recent assessment if that served his or her interests.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:35 PM

540 posts, read 793,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djplourd View Post
Quote:
Odd response. I'm well aware of the difference between an assessment and an appraisal. I've had a professional appraisal for both purchase and refi in the last three years. I find that my assessment is far divorced from the appraised and market values, despite the decree that "The Constitution of Virginia requires real estate assessments to represent fair market value." Unless "fair market value" means something different to the county than it does to me, I assume that whatever algorithm they use to come up with these numbers is quite flawed. I was merely inquiring whether others are seeing the same thing.

Old 02-29-2012, 06:37 PM

540 posts, read 793,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Mine went up 1.3% from $503K to $510K. We recently moved and are waffling between selling it this spring or renting it out. I have met with my Realtor and am pretty confident we can get between $560 and $585, so I think about 10-15% higher here in Vienna, although each location is different. And since you're in Arlington County, it might be very different.
Oops, never updated my profile. I'm also Fairfax Co.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:31 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,326,117 times
Quote:
Odd response. I'm well aware of the difference between an assessment and an appraisal. I've had a professional appraisal for both purchase and refi in the last three years. I find that my assessment is far divorced from the appraised and market values, despite the decree that "The Constitution of Virginia requires real estate assessments to represent fair market value." Unless "fair market value" means something different to the county than it does to me, I assume that whatever algorithm they use to come up with these numbers is quite flawed. I was merely inquiring whether others are seeing the same thing.
Yes, I've always observed this difference. They are supposed to use 'market value' for their assessed value, so you would think they'd align better. I think the problem is their algorithm to determine assessed value uses past sales to determine the market value, so it lags what true market value is. For instance a couple years ago during the crash I would see properties often sell for less than assessed value. Now it seems the opposite. Most of the sales seem to go for more than assessed.

Also they aren't really taking into account condition of the house, which has a definite affect on it's sales price.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:02 AM

778 posts, read 1,061,429 times
From the Fairfax County Real Estate Assessment FAQ:

What are the differences between sales prices, appraisals, and assessments?

Sales price is the actual price a buyer pays for a particular property.

An appraisal is a detailed single property valuation, and may be obtained any time throughout the year. Appraisals can have a variety of purposes, e.g. mortgage loan, sale, home equity loan, and estate valuations.

An assessment is a mass appraisal of property as of January 1 each year for tax purposes. Assessments are based on large numbers of sales that are analyzed to determine values for large groups of similar properties.

How do I know my assessment reflects fair market value?

Given the size, complexity and diversity of properties within Fairfax County, fair market value is deemed to be reasonably estimated if assessments at the neighborhood level generally average in the low-to-mid-90 percent range when compared to sale prices.

We built and moved in to our house in February 2011. Our assessed value is currently 86% of the appraised value so I feel fortunate. The 2012 assessed value is the same as 2011 since the county updated their data after the house had been built. I'm sure the assessment will go up next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia