Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 02:16 PM

6 posts, read 6,520 times

Advertisements

darth and chaz,

I would stay away from reston and any of those areas that are further say from the city. If your both still single and need/want to meet new people best option is to find something in the Ballston/Clarendon/Courthouse/Rosslyn area.

It's in my opinion the epicenter of 21-30 hang out spot AND it will make it much easier for you guys to go out in DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 01:21 PM

55 posts, read 144,895 times
Would it be possible to find a decent place for $1500 single apartment along the orange line or is that too low?

Old 03-27-2012, 02:19 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,743,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
At first glance I thought your post was looking for single guys out of college!
At first glance, I thought it said, "Best place to look for wrinkled gays out of cabbage." And I thought, "Whole Foods?"

Old 03-27-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
At first glance, I thought it said, "Best place to look for wrinkled gays out of cabbage." And I thought, "Whole Foods?"
Nope, should I have titled it differently? Maybe you just need glasses

Old 03-27-2012, 03:51 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,432,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz0426 View Post
Would it be possible to find a decent place for $1500 single apartment along the orange line or is that too low?
Not without roommates along the Ballston corridor. The whole area is really overhyped there are single people all over NOVA and when I lived there I spent most of my time in DC or the Fair Oaks area anyway.

I assume you have a car? Save yourself $400 a month in rent (since you aren't using the metro to get to work) and look at places along Columbia Pike - they are under $1500 and quite nice. 10 minute bus/drive to Ballston or Pentagon metros.

Old 03-27-2012, 10:55 PM

3 posts, read 5,780 times
I graduated from VT last May and I am looking to move out within the next 2 months or so. I am also struggling to find someone to live with since like everyone else has said prices are very high for 1 bedrooms and most of my friends from around here don't have real jobs or already have an apartment.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:17 PM

51 posts, read 109,648 times
yeah, I definitely need a roommate near a metro stop. Parking at the USPTO is freakin $10 a day. So that's about $200 a month in itself. Then, I'll still be paying for gas to commute and probably need anger counseling to go along with dealing with the traffic. With the metro, I think they'll offer a monthly stipend of some sort to use it. Unless there's some super cheap parking I don't know about.....I pretty much have to go with the metro option as of the moment.

If I live by myself away in a 1 BR from the metro and work, I'll probably be paying $1600/mo while handling all the utilities and cable/internet crap and what I talked about above. Living near a metro or near the USPTO, that will go up to $1800-2100 (unless I go studio). If I get a roommate near a metro (or work) and go 2 BR / 2 BA, we're looking at $1100-1300, while splitting utilities and some of other fine expenses of life. Parking fee of course will stick regardless.

A lot of places offer shuttles and what not. Also, I guess I could drive to metro parking myself. What's the parking fee for using the metro parking lot?

Old 03-29-2012, 12:34 PM

If I lived near Columbia Pike I'd need to take a cab to the nearest metro stop or to arlington/ballston. If I plan on drinking I'm not going to drive. I've taken the metro before in the area but I have never taken the metro buses. How does that work? How do you find the right bus?

Old 03-29-2012, 04:24 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,325,299 times
Can we sticky a thread that simply says if you are young and like having fun live in Arlington? Just name it, "Like PBR? Live in Arlington or Alexandria"

:P

Sorry we just seem to get this question every week

Old 03-29-2012, 05:20 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,914,587 times
Well it sounds like a lot of single males, of the same age, who have sturdy jobs, and who went to VT, seem to need roommates on here. Sounds like y'all need to exchange some contact info?

Don't hate on the internet for finding roommates. I was in the exact same position when I moved up here after graduating from VT and did the online thing. Worked out well as I ended up rooming with another guy from VT in the exact same class as me. I also didn't have friends who could afford to live off the Orange Line either, but since I can, I have the popular/pre-game house now.

Also, I might have a room opening up for move in this July.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia