Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 09:08 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,925,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMUAlum08 View Post
my studio would rent for about $1400-1500 in Rosslyn. Not cheap living close to the metro!
That's insane. Just a tad more and you could be in a studio in Manhattan. I like N Arlington, but these absurd prices don't reflect the quality of the area, just the demand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyField View Post
What sort of neighborhood are you looking for in DC? I haven't lived in DC for a number of years, and I know it has changed, but still, if you're looking around Columbia Heights and U Street, there are less expensive apartments there but the safety factor is significantly different than N. Arlington.

I'd recommend also looking at apartments in Dupont, Woodley, and Cleveland Park, even though they will be more expensive. In Dupont and Woodley Park, you're likely to find nice town homes converted into apartments for rent. Cleveland Park has a few more highrise type apartments, and N. Arlington is full of those highrises. I like those less because nothing beats hanging out with friends on the stoop of your townhouse to meet people. Dupont and Woodley have a real "neighborhood" feel to them. You don't get that living in a highrise.
Honestly, I'd be fine with either a rowhouse or a high-rise. Rowhouses will have that community feeling street-level but high-rises make for very high density as long as they're not the "tower in a park" variety. The overall neighborhood and price are more important but if push comes to shove I'll pick that community feeling.

I've done more research, and am leaning away from the Col Heights/U St area because it doesn't have direct metro access to my work on the red line. I'd have to take my car every day, and street parking would be a real hassle. If I lived in Admo, Dupond, or Cleveland Park, I'd keep my car but only use it on the weekends mostly. But then again, prices are very high along the red line.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:17 PM

Right now, I'm leaning towards Silver Spring, Rosslyn, or Clarendon. SS is the cheapest and is an easy drive to my work. Clarendon seems to be the most lively in N Arlington, and it's not a bad walk to either end (Ballston or Rosslyn). Rosslyn, while being a bit dead after-hours, is right on the river and a short walk across the bridge to Georgetown. Just having a spot to hang out on a bench by the river would be a HUGE plus to me.

Of course, if I can find an inexpensive place on the red line in DC, then all bets are off! I'm looking into finding someone to get a 2 BR apartment with, they're much more likely to be within my budget than a studio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia