U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2012, 07:20 AM

7 posts, read 27,119 times

Advertisements

When are you moving? June/ July 2012
Where are you coming from? Cleveland
Why are you moving? Husband Job
Where will you be working? Near Federal Triangle
Have you been here yet? not recently

Will you buy or rent? Rent

If renting, are you looking for an apartment or a townhouse? How much can you spend? up to $3000
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? probably walk up

Are you married or single? Married
Do you have children? 3 Children (10, 9, 5)
Do you prefer a certain public or private schools? Great Public School
Do you have pets? no
Do you want or need a yard? no
Are you keeping a car? yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?

This maybe a temporary relocation possibly a year so we are up for giving our kids the experience of Washington DC. We are unsure of where to go, because of course we would like a shorter commute for him and great schools.
What do you want to be closest to?
Work ( we highly recommend work)
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife
Drive a car or subway stations?

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?

Coke or Pepsi? [/b]

Thanks to Tone/Philly forum for the list.[/quote]
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 08:50 AM

4,489 posts, read 9,952,414 times
North Arlington would give you a pretty good commute into the city (driving or using metro), and you should be able to find a townhouse for $3k. The schools are generally very good in Arlington, and you can review demographics/test scores/etc at various sites online.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:20 AM

42 posts, read 267,906 times
Welcome to NOVA! There are a lot of us Cleveland ex-pats here!

Old 03-07-2012, 06:44 AM

12 posts, read 21,923 times
Alexandria, closer to I-395, is also an option. I would say Alexandria has a slightly more family-oriented bent to entertainment than North Arlington (which can be a little heavy on college-aged and 20-somethings at night). If your husband drives to work on the early side, I-395 is an easy option into DC (I have done it for nearly 10 years now) OR he can Metro in -- it's nice to have the option.

Old 03-07-2012, 06:53 AM

4,489 posts, read 9,952,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unc_spark View Post
Alexandria, closer to I-395, is also an option. I would say Alexandria has a slightly more family-oriented bent to entertainment than North Arlington (which can be a little heavy on college-aged and 20-somethings at night). If your husband drives to work on the early side, I-395 is an easy option into DC (I have done it for nearly 10 years now) OR he can Metro in -- it's nice to have the option.
I agree with your take on Arlington if you stick to walking distance from the orange line, but once you get into the neighborhoods of SFH's, it's a very different atmosphere, with lots of upscale family neighborhoods.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:09 AM

108 posts, read 186,906 times
With your monthly budget in mind -- along with the fact that this may be a temporary move, I suggest that "shorter commute" coupled with "great schools" ideally puts you in Arlington. Begin your search there. Alexandria would not be my first choice solely because its public school system is not up to par with either Arlington or most of Fairfax County. And Fairfax would not be my first choice primarily because your husband is going to be facing a longer commute into D.C.

Welcome to the area!

Old 03-08-2012, 07:19 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,261,346 times
Agree that North Arlington would be ideal. If you affirmatively don't WANT a yard, as you indicate, that opens up a whole lot of townhouse options, some of which may be walking distance to Metro. Some of your kids may also be able to walk to school. Plus it will be very easy to zip into the city on weekends to explore the museums and monuments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or