U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 12:31 PM

6 posts, read 5,748 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

My Husband is taking a job in Chantilly, VA and today they decided that we should move there at the end of this month. We have 2 small children and 1 on the way so we want to make sure we are moving to a safe area, and are not too concerned about commute. We are coming down from Philadelphia, but won't be able to scout out rental places before we move down, so we are choosing from the internet. The house that we keep going back to to rent is in Ashburn, but it seems like this listing has been available for much longer than the other ones which makes me a bit nervous. Is there a reason that homes in Ashburn wouldn't move as quickly and do you think I should be cautious? We would really like to rent a townhome with a yard for the next year and that really limits our options. Plus, rental properties move so quickly there! Within 3 hours the place I wanted that was listed today in Chantilly was gone! Crazy!

We are so excited for the move and I cannot wait to get to know the area better. I have a sister in the Baltimore area, and while I understand that commute is terrible, it will be nice to know we are geographically closer.

Any advice would be so very appreciated! I am so glad I found this forum!!

Thank you in advance!

Kerry
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 12:42 PM

18,717 posts, read 29,826,877 times
I'm not a realtor, so I'm hesitant to answer the question about the house you liked that is not moving quickly. Having said that, real estate does seem to be turning over quickly here, and Ashburn is a popular area--so IMO it's a red flag that something is wrong.

There really aren't any areas in western Fairfax/Eastern Loudoun that I would consider unsafe, with the possible exception of the neighborhood immediately near the Sterling DMV. As with any metro area, of course, if the rent seems unusually low, however, that's another red flag that there might be a problem in an apartment complex, or maybe a problem neighbor.

Commuting can be a huge hassle here so I'd try to live no more than 10-15 miles from work.

Welcome to Northern VA!

Old 03-08-2012, 12:42 PM

113 posts, read 123,482 times
In general, when it comes to this region, the closer you can live to your job, the better and happier you will be. Trust me. :-)

I've seen rentals go fast here, so you should be quick to put a deposit down on one so you can secure it. Chantilly is a nice area, and I really don't know of any bad areas there, so I'd think that any place you move into will be liveable. Of course, there's always the chance that you'll get something you won't like, but without being able to visit the place beforehand, what else can you do?

Sorry, I don't know much about Ashburn, other than a general impression that it's nice with no problems; but others here might be able to give you more specific information.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:44 PM

214 posts, read 466,389 times
Why not rent in South Riding--lots of townhouses and right next to Chantilly. Or you could look in Centreville.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:48 PM

Thank you all for responding so quickly. We have been looking at all areas around Chantilly and are narrowed down to about 4 homes (South Riding and Centreville included) we are just in love with the Ashburn place. We really want to have a yard for our Mini's to be able to play in and that really seems to limit our options.

@Caladium - it seems like a red flag to me, too. Thank you for your response because it makes me feel less wacky for thinking something is up.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:49 PM

4,036 posts, read 8,866,387 times
The only reason I can think that a house in Ashburn would be listed longer than Chantilly is that Ashburn is preceived to be further from DC.

I'm sure you love your sister but I would not base my move on being close to her house. I'm not the biggest fan of Chantilly too much traffic. Other than that Chantilly is perfectly fine. Houses are touch older in Chantilly than Ashburn though.

What about you? Are you a stay at mom or will you be working as well. If you're going to be working as well then I would suggest Fairfax. Its more centrally located than Ashburn or Chantilly. If you're going to be home with the little ones then I would suggest Ashburn. Its more family oriented but further out. Very quiet and low crime though. Your husband's commute on 28 will be a bear at times but your neighbors who commute to DC will be jealous.

Either way you can't go wrong. Congrats on your upcoming little visitor.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:10 PM

Terrance - I am not basing anything off of my sister's location. We are just looking for a good area to live in and don't know much about NoVA.

I am a stay at home munchkin chaser, so I am looking to be in a bit more of a community. We are on the outside of Philadelphia currently and our area doesn't have much of a community feel and I miss that sorely. I want my kids to have some friends other than Mickey Mouse and Mom.

I love that a lot of the feedback that I get is positive about all of our choices. I understand the commute is rough, but we have lived all over the states so I don't have any misunderstandings in regards to traffic. My brother in law lives in Annapolis and does the DC commute by car every day - he commutes at 4 am to beat the traffic. So crazy!

Again, thank you guys so much. If the people in NoVA are half as nice as all the people who have given us help (co-workers, Realtors, this forum) I will be a happy girl. Now I just need to find out if there is any good mexican food because before Philadelphia I was in New Mexico and I miss the food so much!!

Old 03-08-2012, 01:20 PM

4,036 posts, read 8,866,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryee View Post
Terrance - I am not basing anything off of my sister's location. We are just looking for a good area to live in and don't know much about NoVA.

I am a stay at home munchkin chaser, so I am looking to be in a bit more of a community. We are on the outside of Philadelphia currently and our area doesn't have much of a community feel and I miss that sorely. I want my kids to have some friends other than Mickey Mouse and Mom.

I love that a lot of the feedback that I get is positive about all of our choices. I understand the commute is rough, but we have lived all over the states so I don't have any misunderstandings in regards to traffic. My brother in law lives in Annapolis and does the DC commute by car every day - he commutes at 4 am to beat the traffic. So crazy!

Again, thank you guys so much. If the people in NoVA are half as nice as all the people who have given us help (co-workers, Realtors, this forum) I will be a happy girl. Now I just need to find out if there is any good mexican food because before Philadelphia I was in New Mexico and I miss the food so much!!
Oh sure. I didn't mean anything by that. Mainly I meant that Chantilly and Baltimore are just so far from each other finding a happy medium might make for a long commute for hubby. So while you shouldn't give up on seeing sis on weekends just don't break your neck. Either way you'll be a touch closer than you are now in Philly.

Someone will correct me I'm sure but I think Ashburn is going to have more of that kid friendly vibe with more stay at home moms. South Riding as mentioned is a good family oriented choice as well. Your husband definitely won't have to worry about a 4 am commute. I'm a night owl and am fortunate enough to work with a company that has fairly flexible hours so I haven't woken up before 7:30 in ages.

Wishing your family the best of luck. Either way. Welcome to Virginia.

Old 03-08-2012, 01:22 PM

236 posts, read 460,451 times
bring a universal translator (the kind they have on Star Trek) and a firearm... just in case the area experiences anything like they did in Sept 2001, it was a bit weird walking around in public just after even a few days afterward... people were looking at eachother

Old 03-08-2012, 01:25 PM

110 posts, read 280,178 times
IMO, I would be hesitant of a rental in Ashburn that has been available for awhile. In the summer they were on and off the market in less than a week and usually within the day. Now granted this isnt a peak time but still, I would be cautious. Where is the property you are looking to rent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia